Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 15:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
glibc upgrade
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [59 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
sickgut

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2011, 09:07    Post subject:  glibc upgrade
Subject description: a glibc upgrade lets you run new software on older Puppy

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux/libc6_2.11.2-10_i386.deb

Hi, the above url is a glibc upgrade package you can install on your Puppy so you can run new software. The glibc version is the single biggest obstacle tat stops newer software running on an older linux system. If your puppy cannot install .deb packages natively then use this .pet package to do it:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/linux/dpkg-deb-1.14.20.pet

The syntax for using this program in the terminal is:

dpkg-deb -x packagename.deb /

ofcause replace packagename.deb with the name of the .deb package filename you wanna install. Also a neat trick is to enter the first few letters of the name and then p ress tab and it will autocomplete the filename for you.

Over and out
Sickgut
Dewbie

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep 2011, 06:24    Post subject:  

This is very similar to an older thread by sickgut.
The other one now has updated links:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=568368#568368

Sickgut's now-dead links (in post above) include a slightly different .deb file, which is available here:
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/pool/main/e/eglibc/libc6_2.11.2-10_i386.deb
(Edited 8-3-2013: replaced dead link)

When I asked him why (the different .deb), he said he couldn't remember exactly, but:

(edited)
Quote:
The later post would have the better information as there must have been some reason for me to post the Ubuntu one then repost a Debian one.

I would suggest using the Debian one, have a search at http://packages.debian.org and you might even be able to get a newer one.

It's been my experience that Debian packages are more stable; even the Debian experimental is more stable than normal Ubuntu.

Going by the numbers, the above .deb file appears to be more recent.

Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 03 Aug 2013, 02:10; edited 1 time in total
sickgut

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 03:49    Post subject:  

hi dewbie

i recall now why i posted a seccond thread with a debian package rather than ubuntu there was a problem with the ubuntu one messing with locales, and altho this makes no difference to usa keyboard english speaking people it is bad for all the others, as it forces most programs to fall back to the default "C" locale whatever that is. There is error spam in the terminal but this doesnt seem to slow anything down and seems harmless.

at the time the debian package didnt have that same problem and worked fine.

thanks for bringing the thread back to life and updating the links etc too matey i appreciate it.
playdayz

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 14:36    Post subject:  

Are there examples of particular software that will not run unless this libc6 is installed? I have experimented with this myself, but i don't know any particular software to test. Thanks.
Dewbie

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011, 00:08    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
Are there examples of particular software that will not run unless this libc6 is installed?

Here's one:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72301
Tman

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 00:38    Post subject:  

Sickgut, you links give a file not found error

However, the deb is availiable at debian.org. http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/libc6/download
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2012, 16:50    Post subject: wary 5.3 glibc upgrade for google-talkplugin  

In wary 5.3 I run google-talkplugin version 2.1.7.0 with Firefox. The google-talkplugin in that version is downloadable from slackware 13.37 repository. A newer google-talkplugin asks for glibc upgrade. I have tried to install libc6 from debian and a newer google-talkplugin but Firefox crashes. Is there a workaround to do the job of upgrading glibc in wary 5.3? In the meanwhile I'll stay on google-talkplugin version 2.1.7.0: my post is intended to suggest using version 2.1.7.0 of google-talkplugin from slackware 13.37 repository to solve the problem of wary and google-talkplugin.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 05:59    Post subject: glibc upgrade  

watchdog,

The link provided by Tman works. After downloading it, click on the deb package.... XArchive will extract it and then Puppy Package Manager will install it. After the installation, reboot, and then try updating your google-talk plugin. It's possible that the plugin might require a specific version of libc6 aka glibc2 and that the plugin might only work with a newer version of Firefox so you want to pay attention to any error messages during an attempted update as well as to system requirements for this upgrade.

I can confirm that this package: libc6_2.11.3 works in Wary Puppy and a dependency check indicates there are no issues.

hope this helps,
Monsie

Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 06:07    Post subject: glibc upgrade  

playdayz wrote:
Are there examples of particular software that will not run unless this libc6 is installed? I have experimented with this myself, but i don't know any particular software to test. Thanks.

Edit: Wary Puppy does not have a very recent version of glibc2... also known as libc6.
This package (from the download link provided by Tman) is needed to run Apache OpenOffice 3.4 so I will post this info in Mick's thread where he compiled OpenOffice for a number of Puppy breeds.

Monsie

Last edited by Monsie on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 20:56; edited 2 times in total
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 06:37    Post subject:  

Monsie wrote:
Wary Puppy does not have glibc2... also known as libc6. This package is needed to run Apache OpenOffice 3.4 so I will post this info in Mick's thread where he compiled OpenOffice for a number of Puppy breeds.

glibc or GNU C Library, is main system library that every program links to. Without it you couldn't boot your system and write this post Very Happy
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 06:53    Post subject: glibc upgrade  

simargl,

Please note that this thread refers to the glibc2 package also known as libc6 which is not the same as glibc so let's not cause any confusion here.

Thanks,
Monsie

simargl

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 06:59    Post subject:  

Yes it is the same Look this http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libc6 and see its description. Anyway if you want to upgrade that library make sure to recompile all packages afterwards. Ok.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2012, 07:34    Post subject: glibc upgrade  

Again, I don't want any confusion created here... this thread is about providing a specific solution to a specific type of problem.

My understanding is that glibc2 is basically version 2 of glibc as explained over here. So, while glibc and glibc2 share similar code base, they are not the same obviously.... and so Wary Puppy, for example, does not include glibc2 but needs this package to run OpenOffice. Wary Puppy does not require glibc2 in order to boot up etc. and therefore I do not understand the point that you were trying to make in your initial post.

Again, I don't want any confusion created here... and let's not get caught up in semantics, because there really isn't room for that in this kind of thread....

Edit: See the following posts by jamesbond and pemasu for clarification about glibc2.

Monsie

Last edited by Monsie on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 20:59; edited 1 time in total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 05:00    Post subject:  

simargl is only trying to say that the package will replace the existing glibc and thus shouldn't be taken lightly - it *may* cause the system to stop working.
pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 06:01    Post subject:  

Libc6 - glibc in Barry`s repositories - GNU C Library are the same thing.
Barry Kauler packages it as glibc. It has libs and binaries.
The latest wary5 repository version glibc-2.10.1-1-w5c.pet is complete package with libs and binaries.
Ubuntu and Debian splits packages to the smaller ones. libc6 .deb has just the libraries. libc-bin has the needed binaries.

Barry`s glibc packages are slightly reduced. They do not have full gconv directory content. Gconv-modules.cache (compiled data file) has been added into it lately, because if it is missing, it slows down gtkdialog app launching.

Of course there are heaps of different libc6 versions. Applications tend to need newer ones when they are compiled against newer library.

That is what the distro upgrades do.
In ubuntu precise there is version:
# ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10.3) 2.15
So...libc6 is version 2.15.

Of course people can take adventurous libc6 updates for spesific application needs, but that is risky and should be announced in the thread that the update can render the distro useless.
If person testing the libc6 update is using important savefile, it can be the end of that savefile. People should know that.

Package: libc6 (2.15-0ubuntu10.2)
Embedded GNU C Library: Shared libraries
Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on the system.
Page 1 of 4 [59 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: