Upup Precise 54X7 using latest woof at time

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#121 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. I have used report-video found from the pet: sys-info-1.4.2-noarch.pet.
You are right. Woof rootfs-skeleton has newer version which that pet overwrite. I will update report-video for next release. Barry Kauler seems to have done total rewriting to the report-video script.
Thanks.

James C

#122 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install on the trusty old Athlon XP box........everything looks good.

# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Thu 27 Dec 2012 on Upup Precise 5.4.X.6 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
1342 frames in 5.0 seconds = 268.307 FPS
1991 frames in 5.0 seconds = 398.081 FPS
1904 frames in 5.0 seconds = 380.774 FPS
1902 frames in 5.0 seconds = 380.222 FPS
1761 frames in 5.0 seconds = 352.188 FPS
1893 frames in 5.0 seconds = 378.546 FPS
Attachments
precise 5.4.X.6.png
(129.06 KiB) Downloaded 1259 times

pemasu

#123 Post by pemasu »

Yup. I was right about jwm 588 - 589 and X crash connections:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 718#673718

01micko has been more active than me and he has been in contact with Joe Wing. Jwm-590 might be more stable. I will compile and test it soon.

pemasu

#124 Post by pemasu »

Upup Precise 5.4.X.6 has been reuploaded. I switched to the latest revision of jwm-590. It seems stable.

Report-video is now the latest Barry Kauler fixed version. It should show the used xorg driver more reliably.

Rerwin`s brand new pdiag has been added. Use it if you have problems with your wireless. It collects huge amount of diagnostic data and helps debugging the wireless connection problems.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrec ... ecise54X6/

Fabio T

#125 Post by Fabio T »

Hi Pemasu,

Very fine release. :D :D wonderful work, I'll use for my laptop currently.

but...
That's still a bug in ePDFViewer (a bug in FIND function) that's I fixed for now, installing Z_epdfview_fix_precise-20121106.pet.

Can you fix it in the next bugfix?

Thank You.

Fabio

tlchost

Sound Problems - Unanswered

#126 Post by tlchost »

I've raised this question several times in the Precise Thread(s) and once here. No one seems to have an answer, or even acknowledge there is a problem.

For a while I wondered if it might be me....but now others coming into the #puppylinux IRC channel have similar problems.

If it's an unsolvable problem, or a kernel problem, I'd appreciate knowing, as at some point in time the blood smears from beating my head against the wall will diminish the property value of my home.

Running Bootable USB

Sysinfo shows
-Multimedia- Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

Speaker icon in taskbar has X says speaker muted

Adjusting slider controls in Retrovol I get sound, but the volume control in the task bar does not control sound and shows speaker as muted.

Attempting to run alsamixer from prompt system reports:

cannot load mixer control: invalid argument

Any help appreciated

Thom

Fabio T

Re: Sound Problems - Unanswered

#127 Post by Fabio T »

Hi tlchost,
what is your computer model and what Kernel Version are you running?

I had observed some problems kernel-version related with Intel audio interface in Exprimo (my Sony laptop doesn't use correctly headphones with Kernel >3.2.29).
tlchost wrote:I've raised this question several times in the Precise Thread(s) and once here. No one seems to have an answer, or even acknowledge there is a problem.

For a while I wondered if it might be me....but now others coming into the #puppylinux IRC channel have similar problems.

If it's an unsolvable problem, or a kernel problem, I'd appreciate knowing, as at some point in time the blood smears from beating my head against the wall will diminish the property value of my home.

Running Bootable USB

Sysinfo shows
-Multimedia- Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

Speaker icon in taskbar has X says speaker muted

Adjusting slider controls in Retrovol I get sound, but the volume control in the task bar does not control sound and shows speaker as muted.

Attempting to run alsamixer from prompt system reports:

cannot load mixer control: invalid argument

Any help appreciated

Thom

pemasu

#128 Post by pemasu »

About epdfview. I used the patched ubuntu launchpad version which had the inversed colors fixed. But not the find property. I had forgotten that.

Second. I do not much like epdfview. I like evince more. 2.32 is the last gtk-2.0 version. I patched the source and then I compiled as small evince as I could. This version does not have need for extra libs. So...it does not have djvu, ps, dvi support. But it supports pdf.

I compiled also djvu and ps enabled version, but that one needs also libdjvu stuff and libspectre.
I do not know how much people use or need support for djvu and ps.

If there is need for them, I can add the needed libs to the base distro
Yeah...I am going to replace epdfview with evince.
I can use the existing libpoppler stuff and there is no need for the older libpoppler to coexist... as the working epdfview version needs.
I dislike including older libs to the base distro. They interferes compiling due to incompatible dev files.

You need to edit /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_pdf to open pdf documents in evince as default.

Fabio T

#129 Post by Fabio T »

Pemasu,
thank you very much. :)

KJ

sound

#130 Post by KJ »

tlchost ... I loaded 54X6 to a Grub4dos bootable USB plug yesterday and sound on my old Aspire 5570Z laptop seems to be working correctly from the desktop tray icon. Also, Sysinfo shows: -Multimedia- Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel like yours but could be a different driver as "PCH" is not mentioned. Sorry I can't be more help. KJ

tlchost

Re: sound

#131 Post by tlchost »

[quote="KJ"]tlchost Also, Sysinfo shows: -Multimedia- Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel like yours but could be a different driver as "PCH" is not mentioned. Sorry I can't be more help. KJ[/quote

I suspect it is different....I tried the latest upup, and while I can now control the volume with the control in that taskbar after modifying retrovol.rc I notice:

A. None of the multi media players produce sound, now matter what I select as the player.

B. Alsa Mixer still can not be accessed.

So, instead of raising my blood pressure, I will simply give up on Precise and its derivatives.....I do not really enjoy fixing broken things.

sszindian

Google Earth

#132 Post by sszindian »

Google Earth

For those having trouble (like I was) getting a 'Google Earth' to run in Precise from the PPM...

This sfs works very well, displays photo's and is really fast.

Google_Earth-6.0.3.2197-luki.sfs

You can download it from:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a5a90a31.html

Precise-5.4.X.6 working very nice! No major issues so far... One minor one, Weather module disappears on desktop in Pwidgets 2.4.1 after an Internet session and Pwidgets has to be reloaded to get the weather back... but it might be a Pwidgets issue as it happens in all the latest new pup's!

Enjoy!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

don570

#133 Post by don570 »

I've begun to use Upup Precise 54X6 . Everything is going smoothly :)

I've noticed a few small problems
  • You should upgrade to the latest pfind 3.10 since I find it less buggy
  • There needs to be a right click menu entry for pfind
    for inode_mount-point so that a search for a file in a partition is possible.
  • pupmd5sum.sh is improved to version 1.0 -- it has
    a yaf splash message when saving the md5sum text file to disk
  • there is a start menu item for Lighthouse-report-video because
    a desktop file exists but nothing happens when I try to launch it.

You apparently didn't install a GUI version.

It is possible to launch the program from the terminal.

tlchost

Retrovol

#134 Post by tlchost »

I spent hours finally getting my sound chip recognized....and getting to retrovoil mixer working, and getting rid of the dsisabled speaker warnings in the taskbar.

But....when I rebooted...NONE of the settings were saved. Same thing happens in Precise and this version.

Is there some magic that I need to discover to save the confitguration?

charlie6

postscript viewing with evince

#135 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu, ...btw best wishes for 2012
pemasu wrote:About epdfview.... I like evince more. 2.32 is the last gtk-2.0 version. ...not have djvu, ps, dvi support. But it supports pdf...
I compiled also djvu and ps enabled version...
I do not know how much people use or need support for djvu and ps.
If there is need for them, I can add the needed libs to the base distro...
I'm one of them :oops: ...so Please would you mind keep postscript viewing possibility, even by installing an extra «pet» (as in Exprimo)..?

I also learned to appreciate evince versus epdfview.

BTW is there some interest to upgrade evince to 2.32 in Exprimo repository?

Thanks in advance anyway! :)
Charlie

pemasu

#136 Post by pemasu »

I am and will be still couple of days out of the internet in the Red Sea. I took vacation so see sun for awhile and I have snorkeled with my 2 sons. I will be back in Finland in Tuesday. I will start to read through posts. I noticed there are some improvement feedback posted. I will check them also.
Evince can be included with postscript capability. I just compile it with ps support and include the needed lib.

About report-video. I use now Barry Kaulers version, so the gui one is not included. The gui one is not accurate. So...the Sys-info has that video report ability nonfunctional.

But...I will be back...

futwerk

#137 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
upupja9,1a.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(12.39 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
upupja9,1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(13.31 KiB) Downloaded 852 times

pemasu

#138 Post by pemasu »

Upup Precise 5.4.X.7 has been uploaded. It uses woof where the initrd ntfs3g driver has been updated to accept save file creation in compressed ntfs. Most of us needs that, lol.

Of course you get bleeding edge packages from ubuntu updates. Probably some system core files have been updated through it at woof download stage. PPM database files are also atm up to date.
Firefox-18 is in PPM for example, canonical version.

Epdfview has been replaced with evince. Evince has pdf, ps, comics .cbr support.

Rox right clicks got some improvements. Gtkdialog is now version 0.8.4. Upup Precise should be ready for upcoming Pmusic 3.1.0.
Pfind, Pfilesearch and Pburn updated to the latest versions.

I also present the alpha version of new Quickpet, created by 666philb. It is in its early days, and improvement feedback will be appreciated.

rtl8192cu.ko usb wireless module does not seem to behave with all chip id`s it should... so I have compiled realtek proprietary 8192cu.ko which you will find from upup repo.

Gawk aka awk has been updated to the version 4.0.0 so that it support -e argument. Needed with .po files, at least so I understood.

And one new wallpaper from our artist futwerk.

Also couple of bugs I found immediately. Pinboard chat icon does not launch xchat. Somehow /usr/local/bin/defaultchat has pidgin instead of xchat. I suppose most can fix that themselves.

Xchat random upupuser---and a lot numbers---are still present. I should have updated delayedrun to create shorter random upupuser-numbers name. Well....will be fixed in next version.

Updated pdiag included. Use it when reporting non working wireless problems. It is better than pmodemdiag and much better than post: my wireless modem does not work, please help !!!!

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/UpupPrec ... ecise54X7/

spandey

#139 Post by spandey »

Thank you for the new iso.
Any idea how to display system temperatures in the panel?

pemasu

#140 Post by pemasu »

Tempicon tray app is perfect for it.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74702