ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

#101 Post by simargl »

@toro: Do you want to connect to ethernet or wireless network interface? If it's DSL ethernet
it should automatically connect to eth0. See what's output when you type ifconfig, if it is eth1, type this

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth1 up; dhcpcd
mavrothal wrote: No need to restart thunar.
As a matter of fact you can even run it as a daemon but then this defies the whole idea of volume-monitor...
If I only restart pup-volume-monitor, devices in Thunar stay the same, at least for me. But still
running this script from the menu is easier than adding some different tool for mounting usb drives like pmount.
I tried to fix problem with pinstall.sh script that is not running after sfs module has been loaded,
but in /usr/sbin/sfs_load nothing calls that script. Wonder what should start pinstall.sh.

mavrothal

#102 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: If I only restart pup-volume-monitor, devices in Thunar stay the same, at least for me.
:?
Is your thunar any different than the one in the release?
Is it happening in a clean install too?
Because "stop" and "star" volume-monitor vs "restart" is identical, so looks like a thunar issue.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#103 Post by simargl »

mavrothal wrote:
simargl wrote: If I only restart pup-volume-monitor, devices in Thunar stay the same, at least for me.
:?
Is your thunar any different than the one in the release?
Is it happening in a clean install too?
Because "stop" and "star" volume-monitor vs "restart" is identical, so looks like a thunar issue.
Yes "stop" and "star" volume-monitor vs "restart" is identical, I was explaining
why is needed to also restart Thunar, if it is open and you only type ...pup-volume-monitor restart,
it still shows "old" devices list, until started again.

toro

#104 Post by toro »

simargl wrote:@toro: Do you want to connect to ethernet or wireless network interface? If it's DSL ethernet
it should automatically connect to eth0. See what's output when you type ifconfig, if it is eth1, type this

ifconfig eth1 up; dhcpcd
Thanks for the reply simargl and for making the distro. I posted the output of ifconfig in my original question. I'm trying to use wireless (wlan0) but also tried plugging directly into DSL as a debugging step. Thanks to your notifier on the right (beautiful) I could tell I wasn't getting anything down. Was able to ping 127.0.0.1 after ip link up eth0 but not google.com. Copied some nameservers from the Arch Beginner's Wiki and that didn't solve it either.

Based on watching the logfiles of Pwireless2 and Frisbee it may have gotten stuck at the 4-way handshake? There were a variety of errors in what looks like a bash script when I pushed the buttons in different orders.

I think I also got an error running dhcpd.
Last edited by toro on Fri 28 Dec 2012, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

ciento

Re: ArchPup 12.12

#105 Post by ciento »

simargl wrote:
ciento wrote:
simargl wrote:ArchPup is minimalistic Puppy Linux variant
Hi, is there any chance to include wvdial and it's depends?
Ok I added these 3 packages to arch-base: wvdial-1.61-4-i686.pkg.tar.xz, wvstreams-4.6.1-5-i686.pkg.tar.xz, xplc-0.3.13-4-i686.pkg.tar.xz.
Iso will be 1.8 mb bigger
For refreshing device list I will add menu entry to call this script

#!/bin/bash
[/quote]
Thankyou so much! I'll download now :lol:

oops, the iso has not changed size yet... :?

I'll check periodically in case there is a timeframe for
sourceforge uploads  :)

simargl

#106 Post by simargl »

ciento wrote:oops, the iso has not changed size yet... :?
Actually iso will be 1MB bigger, 800K are static libs and includes from wvstreams. I will
upload new image after fixing some more problems, one is pinstall script inside sfs modules.

oui

#107 Post by oui »

Hi

I you want to try to stay under 80 Mb, I would transfer geany to the developer's sfs and take beaver (or nothing: you have already the full version of nano in the ISO; leafpad is not really interesting : installed it is about as heavy as beaver but is really only an editor! beaver can more than leafpad).

most users would probably use more daily along the year the browser icon as the editor icon in the task bar :wink:

I really miss some application's starter like gexec or grun etc. would be better as console in the task bar as it can be used to start the console. this to avoid unneeded opened little windows on the screen...

you have prepared a link in the menu to «browser» since version 1and it is good so. but you bind it to "firefox" instead to "browser" :lol: . it is not logic! I use GNUIceCat. Other users use Seamonkey as it is the main browser of the most Puppy versions...

pls include didiwiki! it is ridiculous small (UNDER 100 kb!) and permit to produce smart texts (fat, underlined, italic) in small browsers like links, elinks, links2 (inclusing without Xwindows! it can be used as text system in not graphic linux and produces separate text documents each sheet! of course including starting line as deamon in /root/.start !

simargl

#108 Post by simargl »

@oui
you have prepared a link in the menu to «browser» since version 1and it is good so. but you bind it to "firefox" instead to "browser" Laughing . it is not logic! I use GNUIceCat. Other users use Seamonkey as it is the main browser of the most Puppy versions...
Thanks, you are absolutely right, I forgot about this because my archaps.sfs is always loaded and firefox is my only browser. I fixed this so now Web browser from menu will starts script /usr/bin/web-browser and launch first browser from this list:
  • firefox
    chromium
    chromium-browser
    google-chrome
    opera
    arora
    dillo
    epiphany
    midori
    seamonkey
    icecat
If nothing of this is installed (not in $PATH) it will show warning and point to instructions on how to use pacman. Also I added didiwiki, no problem size is only 16kb. Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need :lol:. Will check that editor beaver later.

oui

#109 Post by oui »

Thank you very much!

propose Chromium is only a good idea if you also solve the difficulty that chromium refuses to start as "root" :wink: . as I don't like it, I did never look what the Puppy's programmers of *.PET's with chromium did do, but it is no so ideal. test it before to include that else you will get endless discussion in the thread :lol: !

kind rgds

jrb

#110 Post by jrb »

simargl wrote:Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need :lol:.
Don't be so sure. I'm sure there are others like me who have tried archpup but are too unfamiliar with archlinux to really do much. :?

I originally setup a frugal archpup1204. Video and internet worked well out of the box, so I installed rox, seamonkey and jwm with pacman. Didn't get too far with jwm but rox and seamonkey worked well.

I'm now running a frugal archpup1212 to which I've added rox and seamonkey with pacman. I'm learning how to use and modify openbox and tint2 so that's getting better.

I've also copied in pfind and pfilesearch from Slacko14 and they seem to be working fine. What I would like to do is package them as tar.xz's and add them in with pacman so they are registered apps. I like the way pacman updates, very cool.

I like the idea of keeping archpup as a very small core to which apps can be added and updated, but of course that's up to you. It's your baby.

Congratulations on the great work you"ve done so far. 8)

Thanks, J

darkcity

#111 Post by darkcity »

for me the key is to keep a small core, but have all the tools needed to connect to internet ready out-of-the-box. then people can pacman what they want or use ready-made SFSs. 8)

smil99

#112 Post by smil99 »

simargl wrote:
Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need
That is not quite true. :wink:
Have been using archpup most of the time since I saw it here. My only drawback is not being able to do any printing due to CUPS problems as reported by me on pages 6 and 7 of this thread. I am sure there are many others who are silently using and/or admiring your work only that it is so different from other pups that they have less to contribute. :)

Cheers.

stifiling

#113 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need
i'm on the team 100%. it's the only distro i use, on all my machines.

scsijon

#114 Post by scsijon »

Hi simargl, I like your puppy!

I noticed that the version 1.0 Wayland system is now available on arch and wondered if you had considered building with that instead of X11. It would be the first Wayland for puppy and i'm sure a lot of puppy people would be interested in the result.

A couple.... of urls to consider ...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wayland
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/
http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/state/
http://dodonov.net/blog/2011/06/11/x-or ... vel-stuff/
---------------

On the other hand, not being an openbox person, I can't work out how to set the screen size down to 1024x768 from the 1600x1200 it currently has selfsized it too, good for the card and monitor but useless for my old eyes. Can you assist please with a fix?

regards
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Sat 29 Dec 2012, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#115 Post by James C »

Still experimenting with Archpup here too... :)

ciento

#116 Post by ciento »

simargl wrote:
ciento wrote:oops, the iso has not changed size yet... :?
Actually iso will be 1MB bigger, 800K are static libs and includes from wvstreams. I will
upload new image after fixing some more problems, one is pinstall script inside sfs modules.
I followed the wvdial dependancy chain, it seemed quite long,
due to Archpup being skeletal (a good thing, once on the net :D )
Thanks for taking on the project. Each time google shows distro abc
connects to the net using xyz, linux numbers go up.

Same for successful printing, high-end video etc

simargl

#117 Post by simargl »

I sent mail to distrowatch to add ArchPup on waiting list (thought it would be nice to have page on their site), don't remember the date precisely but it was definitely before 2012-12-26. They didn't respond and in meantime added mateu and mega-linux, one is ubuntu with mate desktop and other is remaster made with suse studio. I don't know about their criteria but know one for sure they will receive no more mails from my side.
@scsijon: For changing resolution https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr this title 'Adding undetected resolutions'. Seems like wayland only supports qt5 and gtk3, but it's future display server with better 3d support and new standard (one day).
@darkcity: Do you know some terminal based app for wireless connections, Consider me completely useless in this area, :? users who need wireless find solution, and I will add it, :) ? Here is some topic on Arch forum https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43818. This might also be interesting http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:wifi-hard

mavrothal

#118 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need
simargl,
I find archpup very interesting as it tries to simplify the puppy sysinit, shutdown and device handling, while running in RAM and maintaining 100% Arch compatibility and full use of pacman.

However, it would be good to decide which way you want it to go (everything is OK, just be clear and consistent).

If you are aiming for a wider base you may want to address some teething problems that must be streamlined/automated and become novice-friendly. These include installation and savefile generation as well as more general issues with hardware/device detection.
Another novice hurdle is the absence of a UI app for pacman/packer. I would think that for a novice that hardly knows which linux app does what, even something rudimentary as PPM is better than the best CLI tool. PacmanXG4 although still in beta is pretty light and not bad at all. Is hard to see why is not in the build.
Finally as another novice-friendly move you may want to consider autoloading archapps.sfs if present (see Saluki/Carolina initrd/init for that).

Another issue (certainly arguable) is that ArchPup does not use any of the gtkdialog-based puppy-specific apps. As a result, on full deployment to get the equivalent of all the little apps that puppy has, it becomes almost as big as Arch linux (minus Gnome, KDE, systemd).
Currently, base plus minimal apps is 160MB. Add some more things (video drivers for example) and you are looking at 250-300MB (compressed, ie ~600MB flat…). At that point the question will be how is it different than an LXDE/Arch spin that runs in RAM.
So you may consider providing some puppy apps/utilities in the apps sfs and thus a complete "puppy" from the start. If the user wants the Arch-proper apps, there is always pacman/packer. These will also add some familiarity to for the Puppy users that you invite through this forum to use ArchPup.

Please do not consider this as "critisism" in any way. Actually I believe that Archpup is an excellent initiative that should not stay "for advanced users only" or users willing to go through several pages of forum posts or instructions. Thus the suggestions.
But as I said before, is your baby!

Re Distrowatch: You need to show some commitment, constancy and progress over some period of time to make it. Be patient.

Re cli connection tools: pns_tool_pup-0.3.pet works OK in ArchPup at my end. Just changed "rxvt" to "urxvt" in the wrapper script.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

toro

#119 Post by toro »

jrb wrote:
simargl wrote:Seems like you and me are only users so we'll add what we need :lol:.
Don't be so sure. I'm sure there are others like me who have tried archpup but are too unfamiliar with archlinux to really do much. :?

I like the idea of keeping archpup as a very small core to which apps can be added and updated, but of course that's up to you. It's your baby.

Congratulations on the great work you"ve done so far. 8)

Thanks, J
Yes, I'm also checking this post semidaily to see if anyone else has resolved the Pwireless issues. I'll be switching over to Archpup as my only OS after I can get the wireless working. I think there is a lot of interest. (And that's just within veteran puppy users.)

ciento

#120 Post by ciento »

simargl wrote:I sent mail to distrowatch to add ArchPup on waiting list
I wouldn't get too bent, send a new mail each month, your progress
and user feedback will speak for themselves. Think of the progress in two months, magnified over two more years 8)
Have a great 2013!