Youtube knows me love to look at Cats wow :)

For discussions about security.
nooby

Youtube knows me love to look at Cats wow :)

#1 Post by nooby »

I am on Lupu 528-005 and use firefox 17.0.1
and use the delete all cookies each time I
shut down the browser despite this YouTube
knows next time I open the browser that I do like
to watch the Catroulette and other cat clip movies.

so they collect something about my hardware
that is unique or the IP of my ISP or MAC address of
the computer?

I'm too lazy just now to test to fire up another computer.
Crowded on the table to have two screens and two keyboards
at same time. zmas lazy too eating too much food :)

What can it be that the do them know my taste of clips.
Buddy Holly and such old clips from 1958

do I need to delete some folder that Macromedia
or -mozilla have or what?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Keef

#2 Post by Keef »

I think you may have answered your own question.
Try deleting the hidden files in the root directory - .macromedia and .adobe, and see how you go.

Barkin

Re: Youtube knows me love to look at Cats wow :)

#3 Post by Barkin »

Even if you delete all the cookies on your computer the peculiarities of your internet browser combined with your IP can be used to identify an individual.
The panopticlick project (from EFF) demonstrates how common your browser settings are ... https://panopticlick.eff.org/

There may also be unique IDs embedded FireFox too ...
... it seems there are three different points of generation for a Firefox unique ID ... There's the update ID which Hidden ... then the Metrics Data Ping, and then there's the Safebrowsing ID.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?s=b4853051c9f517ff43332536ffb909b0&p=2039478&postcount=17

[ FireFox has Google's "safebrowsing" enabled by default ]
Last edited by Barkin on Thu 27 Dec 2012, 17:43, edited 4 times in total.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Thanks

I went to the EFF and got some 21 points
and this
Limited supercookie test

DOM localStorage: Yes, DOM sessionStorage: Yes,
What could this DOM be about?

Delete the folders? No I trust them have such things like
passwords and bookmarks.

I would need deeper knowledge on how to restore them later.

Maybe rename them so I can restore later?

What could this Super cookie DOM be about

Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:What could this DOM be about?
The DOM storage is a javascript thing so should not survive a reboot, i.e. couldn't be used for tracking other than within one browsing session.

http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/domstorage.shtml

If you try the Panopticlick test with javascript disabled (see FireFox "tools", "options", "content") the DOM thing does not appear.

If YouTube is identifying you via a supercookie, like you mentioned you could delete its supercookie from the macromedia folder. There is a FireFox addon called betterprivacy for managing supercookies which allows you to keep some supercookies (e.g. logins) but delete the rest ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/
Last edited by Barkin on Thu 27 Dec 2012, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

ah okay.

I got some 21.x points. is that good or bad :)

Barkin

#7 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:I got some 21.x points. is that good or bad :)
If I don't enable NoScript I score 21.31, which makes my browser rarer than 1 in 2.6million ...
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,604,571 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 21.31 bits of identifying information.
https://panopticlick.eff.org

So my 1in 2.6million browser combined with my IP and my previous history visiting a website that should enable that website to identify me without cookies, unless I visit the website via a proxy.

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Oops then I get it better. So that makes you and me
as shining Beacons they spot us instantly. Haha.

so much for privacy.

thansk for caring to share that knowledge.

Proxy. I trust that if I use proxy then my ISP
are required by the Swedish state to get
them alerted? Only criminals would try to hide
they would reason. I would not even know
what a proxy is but have seen that word before.

DPUP5520

#9 Post by DPUP5520 »

Proxy. I trust that if I use proxy then my ISP are required by the Swedish state to get them alerted? Only criminals would try to hide
they would reason. I would not even know what a proxy is but have seen that word before.
I hear so many people saying that only criminals would want to hide their identity or location online and it's just ridiculous, I just simply don't like being tracked, which is mainly why I have Puppy Crypt. I've never heard of an ISP being required to inform government agencies if they realized customers were using proxy services in any country.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

Thanks Dpup,
You know Europe is the old world
so maybe we are different here.

Or it is just me being too pessimistic.
So to each their own. it is good you care.

Barkin

#11 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:You know Europe is the old world
so maybe we are different here.
Ixquick (a Dutch company) is a search engine which gives you the opportunity to view the search results via proxy : i.e. they get the webpage you want and send it to you, (the website can't identify you, you received a copy of their webpage via the IXquick middleman).

This does add a delay: they get the webpage you want then send it to you, and not all webpages can be properly accessed via Ixquick, e.g. Ixquick won't allow adobe flash by proxy, so you'll have to use another method for Youtube.

https://www.ixquick.com/
Attachments
websites via ixquick proxy think you're in the Netherlands (NL).png
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 675 times

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

Cookies are only one small part of the problem. Modern browsers (and Googles behaviour) allow many ways for an individuals preferences to be tracked. Although you are mostly talking about Youtube, the Facebook security/privacy pages offer some good info about how such tracking is done:

https://www.facebook.com/help/330525367015217
(Local storage can become re-enabled if you allow browser updates, and can be invisibly enabled by default settings of "per site preferences" in some browsers)

https://www.facebook.com/help/236257763148568
(Pixel tags pass the contents of your cookies to the website in real time - so it doesn't matter if you delete cookies when you close down your browser - the tracking info has already "phoned home")

A lot of this is about enabing "Online Behavioural Advertising" - so that your interests and websurfing can be tracked and analysed.

http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/#completed

It is becoming very difficult to lock prying eyes out of your browser.

(That panopticlick test is interesting - although the "21.31" bits of identifying information looks like a generic figure and does not match the total that you get if you add up all the numbers in that particular column. When I added them I got 59.08 so wondered if it was the same for everybody or is it a real figure?)EDIT: I just tried the test again using a different Puppy installation and got a real total of 71, which included a score of 21.31 for the system fonts section, so that 21.31 seems to be just the default maximum for any field.
nooby wrote:So that makes you and me
as shining Beacons they spot us instantly
Makes it seem like using puppy sure does make us stand out!

nooby

#13 Post by nooby »

So if one use a more common linux like Ubuntu then one
are less unique? Haha what about using TinyCore that
would make one extremely unique?

RSH

#14 Post by RSH »

nooby wrote:So if one use a more common linux like Ubuntu then one
are less unique? Haha what about using TinyCore that
would make one extremely unique?
Aahhh, NO!

Nobody is or will be unique, because he/she is using TinyCore instead of Ubuntu. Also not if using unique equipment instead of mainstream equipment.

There are only two ways to be unique:

1. Be unique!
2. Do (your things) unique!

By doing your things unique, one can be unique even if he/she is using mainstream stuff like Ubuntu or similar.

A drummer for example is not unique because he plays some unique drum kit.

A drummer playing a drum kit build for the masses of drummers, but doing unique stuff on it, surely is unique - at least, because he is doing it on a mainstream drum kit. :lol:

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

I trust that I am unique in that I fail to be unique.
I am so unique that I am the most common person :)

Many tell me Nooby your not special you are just like us.
Well they don't write as confusing texts as I do so how can they be? :)

gcmartin

#16 Post by gcmartin »

I cannot offer ideas on methods of skirting information that gets collected; nor, can I quell any fears anyone has about potentials

But, since this is about YouTube with it having direct ties to Google (and other Search Giants), YOU (meaning 'We") can see the information collected on our behavior...in some cases.

Google recently published and makes available all information that is collected on your behavior. Its available for you to see. This assumes, of course, that you have a GoogleID. Its your information and they are adamant that it is private, yours, and not available to others! Whether one wants to debate that is a different issue of my post. This is presented so that we can see, if we are concerned, what actually was collected.

Hope the information you see from your browsing experience, as a result, gives clues for what you are concerned.

I take no position, pro or con.

Here to help

Barkin

#17 Post by Barkin »

gcmartin wrote:Google recently published and makes available all information that is collected on your behavior. Its available for you to see. This assumes, of course, that you have a GoogleID. Its your information and they are adamant that it is private, yours, and not available to others! Whether one wants to debate that is a different issue of my post.
I turned off my Google search history many moons ago, and my browsers delete all cookies (including Google flash cookies) when closed, yet my Google searches show I'm in a filter bubble, i.e. Google must be able to recognise it's me making the search and must have info of my previous searches, despite the fact my official Google search history has been deleted and turned off for over two years.

I have to Google search via a proxy to escape the filter bubble : to obtain search results which are not influenced by my previous Google search terms. The proxy prevents Google knowing it's me doing the Google search.

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

"Whether one wants to debate that is a different issue of my post."
To Clarify: This was my attempt to say, that I was not wanting or desirous of a debate. I only wanted to share that there are methods to see what is actually collected. Again, I do NOT have a position, positive or negative, on the topic of traffic collection, though, of course, its nice to see that I can see my own personal activity.

Here to help

Barkin

#19 Post by Barkin »

gcmartin wrote:Google recently published and makes available all information that is collected on your behavior. Its available for you to see. This assumes, of course, that you have a GoogleID.
gcmartin wrote:... I only wanted to share that there are methods to see what is actually collected.
Google isn't revealing "all" the information it has collected.
Officially I have no Google search history : officially it has no record of my previous searches, but that cannot be true otherwise I would not be in a filter bubble. Without a proxy my Google searches show me results in niche forums/websites I have visited frequently. If I use the same Google search terms , but use a proxy, these niche websites are not shown in the search results, i.e. apparently Google can identify me and has a record of my previous searches which is not available to me or deletable by me.

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Barkin wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Google recently published and makes available all information that is collected on your behavior. Its available for you to see. This assumes, of course, that you have a GoogleID.
gcmartin wrote:... I only wanted to share that there are methods to see what is actually collected.
Google isn't revealing "all" the information it has collected.
Officially I have no Google search history : officially it has no record of my previous searches, but that cannot be true otherwise I would not be in a filter bubble. Without a proxy my Google searches show me results in niche forums/websites I have visited frequently. If I use the same Google search terms , but use a proxy, these niche websites are not shown in the search results, i.e. apparently Google can identify me and has a record of my previous searches which is not available to me or deletable by me.

Thanks Barkin that sounds very credible to me too.
Google knows what kind of answers I would want to read.