Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 08:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 92 [1374 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 90, 91, 92 Next
Pete22

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 00:31    Post subject:  An Undistructable carolina kids version  

rg66: I understand your reluctance to offer a 500+m puppy. Puppy likes to be slim and trim.
I think one reason is there are important folks like Barry, who still has dial-up.
The repository that Barry has to upload to is also very so to download from.

Edit: Reread your message:
It sounds like you are having cost issues with big uploads. OK, ignore my request.
I was not aware that could be an issue. Sorry.

For me, however, to have a kids game puppy that was almost indestructible by them; and include
almost no maintenance by me would be worth the 10 to 20 minutes to download it from a fairly
good download repository like smokey01.

I don't know about others, but this Santa Wink is thinking this would be a win-win situation for the kids
and their adult computer caretakers.

The price is certainly right. Very Happy

Just a thought from a jolly elf,

er, hum...I mean Pete Wink

PS
just let me know when you have a download available. It will be a welcome
addition for my little Carolina users. : Very Happy

Last edited by Pete22 on Mon 24 Dec 2012, 01:31; edited 1 time in total
Pete22

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 01:14    Post subject: I have some good news, and then some other news.  

Elroy: Thanks for reloading the iso.
I was able to get a download today with matching md5.
Without a savefile I was able to begin uploading lina 005.
The start up routine looked unremarkable. I even got to the
desktop which I was not able to before. I even saw the holiday
photo. Very cute.

Now for the bad news.
It took for ever to get to the desktop However, unlike when I had a bad download, it did not ask me
if I still wanted to do an autosync for the clock. I only got the message that the zdrive did not load,
and suggested that maybe it was in the wrong place. Unfortunately , that is not the case.

Then it jammed. alt control backspace did nothing. I had to hold down the off button to get out if there.

So I tried an upgrade from 4 to 5. A lot of things were not found as it tried to boot up and it
never started the upgrade process.

How can I help Pinpoint the problem?

Pete
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 02:29    Post subject: Re: I have some good news, and then some other news.  

Pete22 wrote:
Elroy: Thanks for reloading the iso.
I was able to get a download today with matching md5.
Without a savefile I was able to begin uploading lina 005.
The start up routine looked unremarkable. I even got to the
desktop which I was not able to before. I even saw the holiday
photo. Very cute.

Now for the bad news.
It took for ever to get to the desktop However, unlike when I had a bad download, it did not ask me
if I still wanted to do an autosync for the clock. I only got the message that the zdrive did not load,
and suggested that maybe it was in the wrong place. Unfortunately , that is not the case.

Then it jammed. alt control backspace did nothing. I had to hold down the off button to get out if there.

So I tried an upgrade from 4 to 5. A lot of things were not found as it tried to boot up and it
never started the upgrade process.

How can I help Pinpoint the problem?

As far as upgraidning goes, be sure you're not using the savefile from 004. You'll need to create a new one from 005. I haven't experienced any of the problems you're describing. The only thing that comes to mind is that either you're trying to use your 004 savefile, or you have a computer that is too old to run Carolina. Either way, neither will do. If you wish to upgrade, I'd highly suggest that you start fresh - 005 and create a new savefile. Without knowing exactly what you've done, I can't offer you any more info than that.
Pete22

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 16:29    Post subject: Carolina 005  

Elroy:

All is well with my 005. As you probably suspected my problem was mostly user error.
When I got the new download I did a manual frugal install like I always do, or so I thought.
I have done it so many times, I just look for necessary files on the iso and move them over
to the hard drive, when I see them. The last part of that sentence is where I made the mistake.

Always before when I opened an iso all the files would show. But this time initrd.gz was hidden
I didn't see it, so I didn't load it. When I made a careful check for every file, I noticed it was missing
Went back to the iso and sure enough it was not showing. I changed the settings to show
hidden files and it popped up. If I had been paying better attention I would have noticed
Carolina always needs at least five files to load properly. Sorry for the worry.

Wondering why this file is showing up as a hidden file in 005 when it was not doing
that before? Regardless, of the reason, I will be more careful next time.

So glad to have Carolina up and working.

Pete
okokoook

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 17:01    Post subject:  

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to every one!!! Happy Holidays
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec 2012, 19:28    Post subject: Save-session file problems with Carolina, too.  

Problem
Edit: The original problem description has been moved.
This problem affects ALL MODERN WOOF PUPs. its description has been moved to here.

Here to help

Bligh

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec 2012, 13:40    Post subject:  

It appears that would not apply to booting from cd and saving to hdd.
Cheers
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2012, 02:41    Post subject: package chooser  

With elroy's help, I've edited the package chooser script to ask if you want to update the package list or not before opening the package manager. Save time and bandwidth.

I've also made a pet to open the uninstall window directly, bypassing the package manager. See the original post here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=672489#672489
pkg_chooser.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.9 KB
 Viewed   1275 Time(s)

pkg_chooser.png

pkg_chooser-0.2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  pkg_chooser-0.2.pet 
Filesize  4.42 KB 
Downloaded  320 Time(s) 

Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2012, 18:26    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:

I also have a new desktop which I haven't had a chance to run it on as yet. The desktop is a HP with AMD FX6100 processor with 10 GB RAM with Radeon 7450 discrete graphics with 1 GB RAM.

I did a frugal install on the desktop, everything works well except I can't get the screen resolution above 1280x1024, which it is defaulting to. Any attempts to adjust the resolution using the <probe> or <vesa> selections, leave the resolution unchanged at 1280x1024.

I have downloaded the latest AMD linux drivers (stable and also the beta version). The attempted installation returns that a compatible video card not found.

When I ran lspci | grep VGA the result did not show the "Radeon HD....", it only displayed "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc. Device 677b."

when i ran only lspci the line after the VGA controller displayed:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc. Caicos HDMI Audio [AMD Radeon 6450].

Any ideas?

Edit: I did a search and found references for the device 677b:
AMD Radeon HD 7400 Series NI 677B

Last edited by Terry H on Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:57; edited 1 time in total
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 02:15    Post subject:  

Bligh wrote:
It appears that would not apply to booting from cd and saving to hdd.
Cheers
Actually, it does. You see, should you boot from either of those methods and your system has a compressed NTFS that Microsoft allows such that you can get greater utilization of your HDD than you would normally, then when you attempt a Shutdown, and ask Carolina (or any newer PUPs) to save to the NTFS, your system will NOT reboot with the save information from your last session.

Therefore ALL of your work would be lost and you'd have to start over.

Main problem here is that any non-suspecting user would spend lots of time trying to figure out what the problem is.

Hope this helps understanding.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 02:44    Post subject: Console video font and display issue  

I have a current issue when booting using Live media. Seems that after reaching the Carolina desktop, the console (non-X text based console) fonts are very-very tiny and is replicated 3X across.

This is running from my laptop Pentium M 1.5 GHz with Intel video.

Is there something in either desktop or command which can be recommended? Is this a known problem with console session?

A system report is attached (needed to zip to upload).

Thanks in advance
HardInfo_report.txt.bz2
Description  Hardinfo report and Video-report of the laptop
bz2

Download 
Filename  HardInfo_report.txt.bz2 
Filesize  7.71 KB 
Downloaded  278 Time(s) 

sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 09:08    Post subject: Re: Console video font and display issue  

gcmartin wrote:
I have a current issue when booting using Live media. Seems that after reaching the Carolina desktop, the console (non-X text based console) fonts are very-very tiny and is replicated 3X across.

(I now think I misunderstood, sorry)

I booted this Dell D610 laptop Pentium M 2.13 GHz with Intel video from a 'lina-lite USB flashdrive with pfix=ram,nox ,

and the screen looked normal.
Marv

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 12:45    Post subject: Re: Console video font and display issue  

gcmartin wrote:

Is there something in either desktop or command which can be recommended? Is this a known problem with console session?

A system report is attached (needed to zip to upload).

Thanks in advance

Not sure, but this might pertain to the non-X session. It's from an Arch Linux setup on a laptop with identical video chip and lcd resolution.

Quote:
The laptop's TFT panel features a resolution of 1280x800, which however is not present on the i915 chipset's BIOS and one has to use KMS to support this resolution mode.

The video card (Intel GMA 4500MHD) has been supported by xf86-video-intel since the version of 2.6.0.

The link to the KMS info is:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics#Kernel_mode_setting_.28KMS.29

Bligh

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec 2012, 14:18    Post subject:  

@gcmartin Thanks for the reply. That has not been an issue. If it becomes an issue, I can save to usb flash drive or sd card or copy a save file from a linux hdd to ext drive.
Cheers
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec 2012, 04:41    Post subject: FirstRUN cannot be found in Menus  

After the initial appearence of FirstRUN on initial boot, I cannot seem to find it.

Might it be made available in the Menu subsystem as well in the future?

Here to help

Page 39 of 92 [1374 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 90, 91, 92 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: