Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 23:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 38 of 95 [1415 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 06:05    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, I managed to get this to compile, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position button and title layout in the advanced settings.

Thanks Geoffrey, works great!

Didn't work in lite though, got a "floating point exception" when run from terminal.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 08:33    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Here's something to try, Xfce Theme Manager, I managed to get this to compile, it works quite well.

As well as selecting wallpapers, icons, cursors and themes, you can also position button and title layout in the advanced settings.

Thanks Geoffrey, works great!

Didn't work in lite though, got a "floating point exception" when run from terminal.

It could be my compile, I did have a problem and had to edit the makefile.

There is an older version that's a binary http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Xfce-Theme-Manager?content=149647

There may be a dependency missing that's coursing the problem also.

If someone else would like to compile it, you may have better luck than me, I removed " -Wunused-result " from the makefile to get to compile.
Code:
# make
g++ src/main.cpp src/globals.cpp src/database.cpp src/thumbnails.cpp src/gui.cpp src/callbacks.cpp -O3 -Wall -Wunused-result -Wunused-function -lXcursor -lgthread-2.0 `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gdk-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGTK_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGSEAL_ENABLE `pkg-config --cflags --libs libxfce4ui-1`    "-DGOT_LIBXFCEUI" -o xfce-theme-manager
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wunused-result"
make: *** [xfce-theme-manager] Error 1

Here's the source code.
Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.2.tar.gz
Description  Source code
gz

Download 
Filename  Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.2.tar.gz 
Filesize  104.27 KB 
Downloaded  262 Time(s) 

rg66

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 08:56    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:

Funny, did the exact same thing to the makefile and compiled on lite with the same "floating point error".

elroy

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 18:40    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

Funny, did the exact same thing to the makefile and compiled on lite with the same "floating point error".

Part of the problem is that 'lina-lite doesn't have the themes, cursors, and wallpaper that Carolina has. In some cases it may have only the defaults, or in the case of the wallpapers, none. It those cases it will get a divide by zero error and crash.

Part of this is due to sloppy c++ code. Along with your makefile edit to remove -Wunused-result, try the following in the src file callbacks.cpp.

Change the code, starting with line 49, from this:
Code:

maxWidgets=(int)widgetWidth/previewSize;

if(maxWidgets>=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt)
      maxWidgets=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt;

colSize=(int)(widgetWidth/maxWidgets);

to this:
Code:

if ((widgetWidth > 0) && (previewSize > 0))
      maxWidgets=(int)widgetWidth/previewSize;
   else
      maxWidgets=0;

if(maxWidgets>=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt)
      maxWidgets=previewBox[currentPage].itemCnt;

if ((widgetWidth > 0) && (maxWidgets > 0))
      colSize=(int)widgetWidth/maxWidgets;
   else
      colSize=0;

This should solve the floating point errors, and allow it to compile and run on both 'lina-lite and Carolina.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 20:06    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

Part of the problem is that 'lina-lite doesn't have the themes, cursors, and wallpaper that Carolina has. In some cases it may have only the defaults, or in the case of the wallpapers, none. It those cases it will get a divide by zero error and crash.

Part of this is due to sloppy c++ code.

Recompiled with change to code, now works in lina-lite, updated the download HERE for testing

Pete22

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 20:34    Post subject: Regarding games for puppy carolina  

Try looking at hansamben puppy. Very Happy

He It had several games. I think he even updated them to a level 5 pup.

I might even have a copy some where. Rolling Eyes
[If you are desperate, I will look, let me know if you find it otherwise.];

I would be very excited to see an indestructible Carolina Kids version!!!!!!!

Pete
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec 2012, 21:10    Post subject: Xfce Theme Manager  

Geoffrey wrote:
Recompiled with change to code, now works in lina-lite, updated the download HERE for testing

Yep, works fine here, in lina-lite.

Thanks a lot.

Sheldon
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 00:02    Post subject: Re: Regarding games for puppy carolina  

Pete22 wrote:
Try looking at hansamben puppy. Very Happy

He It had several games. I think he even updated them to a level 5 pup.

I might even have a copy some where. Rolling Eyes
[If you are desperate, I will look, let me know if you find it otherwise.];

I would be very excited to see an indestructible Carolina Kids version!!!!!!!

Pete

I did an "indestructible" kids version with Carolina not too long ago. Works great and always goes back to original after reboot. It's almost 500MB so I wouldn't even think about offering it for download. I am toying with the idea of doing one based on lina lite which would be much smaller and easier/faster (cheaper) to upload.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 01:37    Post subject:  

Here is a what I've made using the theme manager, a custom mac theme and installed cairo-dock
custom_theme.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   67.65 KB
 Viewed   937 Time(s)

custom_theme.jpg

jpup

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 03:03    Post subject:  carolina xfce panel launcher icons  

Been using my custom 005 build for a couple of days now with vlc, virtualbox, and wine all loaded up, haven't rebooted or shutdown the system yet, seems to be stable... but a bit hot Very Happy

Very nice work by Geoffrey and Elroy Smile

Merry Christmas!

I have a couple questions though...
Why is xfce creating two firefox entries in /root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-12 ???

And regarding the xfce panel custom launcher, how can I make the icons smaller? They are a bit too big I think.

Thanks

Geoffrey, nice mac theme:)
launcherscreenshot.png
 Description   xfce panel launcher big icons
 Filesize   187.23 KB
 Viewed   913 Time(s)

launcherscreenshot.png

elroy

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 06:11    Post subject: Re: carolina xfce panel launcher icons  

jpup wrote:
Been using my custom 005 build for a couple of days now with vlc, virtualbox, and wine all loaded up, haven't rebooted or shutdown the system yet, seems to be stable... but a bit hot Very Happy

Hi jpup. Have you ran the frequency scaling setup from the Control Panel-->Hardware-->CPU Frequency Scaling Tool? Make sure you check out the drop-down list for the correct module for your setup. After you've done that, right click the 'lightning' icon in the panel notification area and select the power mode you'd like to run; then check out 'Hardware Control' in the same right-click menu. This can make a big difference in your machine running cooler, particularly if you're using a laptop or notebook.

jpup wrote:
Why is xfce creating two firefox entries in /root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-12 ???

That looks like a bug from building 005. Nice catch! One of the .desktop files is on the puppy_lina_005.sfs, and I'm guessing that the other is on the adrive. Fortunately only one appears in the launcher menu, and it doesn't appear to have any adverse consequences. It's safe to delete one of them if you're using a savefile.

jpup wrote:
regarding the xfce panel custom launcher, how can I make the icons smaller?

To decrease the panel launcher menu icon sizes, open the file /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml, and look under the Gtk property tag. You'll find this in line 27:
Code:
<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value=""/>

Change it to something like this:
Code:
<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value="panel-launcher-menu=16,16"/>

The default size is 32x32, but if 16x16 is too small, you can try 24x24.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need to restart the X server in order to see the changes.
Terry H

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 15:41    Post subject:  

elroy and geoffrey,

Thanks for a great puppy derivative. I've been using carolina 0.0.5 for a couple of days now with no issues. I have a manual frugal install on my dell d620 laptop with core duo 2.13GHz bcm4311 wifi, 1440x900 display 2.5 GB RAM.

Everything worked OOTB, wifi, correct resolution and even the volume up/down/mute buttons work!

I've never used xfce before and am very impressed at how easy it is to make changes to the panel and launcher.

I also have a new desktop which I haven't had a chance to run it on as yet. The desktop is a HP with AMD FX6100 processor with Radeon 7450 discrete graphics with 10 GB RAM.

Carolina is my current favourite distro to run.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 16:17    Post subject:  

Wow. This is certainly a great-great Christmas present.

I got a wonderful, fast 32bit OS, A surprise in the seasonal desktop theme. A subsystem that allows building of a brand new PUP should I choose. A fast PPM implementation, A great FirstRUN system launch no matter whether a LAN cable is present or not. JAVA built-in, LibreOFFICE stability, And I can go on and on.

Thanks for what you guys have shown us thru your great-great efforts. Very Happy

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec 2012, 20:47    Post subject:  

New version Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3, I reported Elroy's fix to the developer, here's his reply.
Quote:
Hadn't spotted the exception but managed to recreate it and it is now fixed please download v0.2.3

The problem seems to be GtkWidgets being in a state of flux when changing theme parts leading to odd sizes ( negative as well as 0 ), the supplied patch almost worked I had to tweak it a bit, now if you try to change tabs/resize the window whilst changing themes if the widgets are not fully realized the manager will just not do anything.

Updated the previous post, get Xfce-Theme-Manager-0.2.3 HERE

jpup

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2012, 00:27    Post subject: Re: carolina 005  

Hi Elroy, thanks Smile

elroy wrote:
To decrease the panel launcher menu icon sizes, open the file /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml, and look under the Gtk property tag. You'll find this in line 27:
Code:
<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value=""/>

Change it to something like this:
Code:
<property name="IconSizes" type="string" value="panel-launcher-menu=16,16"/>

The default size is 32x32, but if 16x16 is too small, you can try 24x24.

Yes, this did the trick, 24x24 seems just about right, doesn't feel like I'm spanning the length of the screen anymore Very Happy I've always wanted to edit that xml config file since previous versions, but I didn't actually know what code to put in.

elroy wrote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention that you'll need to restart the X server in order to see the changes.

Yes, restarting X is habit I've acquired, when making changes. I've even set my .shutdown_action to "Restart X Windows"

elroy wrote:
Hi jpup. Have you ran the frequency scaling setup from the Control Panel-->Hardware-->CPU Frequency Scaling Tool?

Yes, I've already set up my cpu frequencies. I've even added a panel launcher for the cpu frequency scaling tool, for quick changes. I always set my scaling driver to "powernow-k8" and my governor to "ondemand" and I can change min/max pstates as well as thresholds. But this notebook is already quite hot to begin with, it idles at around 56°C - 60°C so I'm a bit concerned about heat, and the best option is to lower max pstates when I don't need the processing power to lower the temps. But sadly, I don't get the same level of hardware optimization I get on windows. On win7/8, I can do most things, multitasking, even 1080p video playback while my cpu clock is set to just 823 MHz. I can't do that on carolina Sad
I'm the type of user who rarely maximizes app windows, since it's a waste of workspace.
I usually have atleast 3 app windows open all the time.

elroy wrote:
That looks like a bug from building 005. Nice catch! One of the .desktop files is on the puppy_lina_005.sfs, and I'm guessing that the other is on the adrive. Fortunately only one appears in the launcher menu, and it doesn't appear to have any adverse consequences. It's safe to delete one of them if you're using a savefile.

Yes it doesn't seem like it's causing any problems, I just got a bit spooked Very Happy
It always comes back even if I delete it or redo the panel launcher.

Thanks again, and have a merry christmas Smile
I'll be going to my girlfriend's house in a bit, maybe help her with preparations for the christmas eve dinner later tonight.

Thanks, Happy holidays!
Page 38 of 95 [1415 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 93, 94, 95 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: