ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

#41 Post by simargl »

T_Hobbit wrote:Hi

Freesbee also doesn't work... Or I don't know how to use it...

Anyway... Any small size alternative on arch/aur repos?
And any small battery icon for the tray?
After some quick search in AUR, I can suggest this two:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/connman-git/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wpa_auto/
You can get battery info with conky...

edit:@mavrothal: Can this be incorporated in /usr/sbin/usbsave, because that script
is called from /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff before rc.shutdown, this way looks like
it would be saving same thing twice. :?

oui

#42 Post by oui »

Hi
simargl wrote:to connect localhost:8000 type this first in terminal

Code: Select all

ifconfig lo up
That should start automatically with rc.sysinit and will be fixed for new releases.
added in /root/.start, it works and nothing more to do :lol: ...

but there already are now a lot of tricks in both archpup thread. I think it will be useful to write an help file or a wiki page accessible through http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Archpup to find later the stuff again and if possible in an helpful order!

Concerning localhost:631, no contact possible. The error mssg in Firefox is not expressive. In Links2 it says "connection refused" but it is the only one Linux of more as 10 I have on the hard disk where this happens...

Next thematic:
Is there possible to cleanly bind (start the binding of) a SFS file (for ex./especially LibreOffice / jre for it) through the /root/.start (or other way) if no save file is used (my case: I will no SFS-file...). I actually use a symbolic link from a subdir in /mnt/home/myGoodies/LibreOffice to /usr/lib but, of course, it doesn't adapt the menu etc... so it is something subject to give problems because nobody find this again in the system! only I myself, if I do not forget it :roll: ...

rgds

rameshiyer

Arch Puppy

#43 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed Arch puppy ( frugal) . However, I am not able to configure the LAN. (wired network). Hence no internet connection. How to setup local network in office environment. I didn't see any option in setup menu. Just wireless connection. Please help me.

mavrothal

#44 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: edit:@mavrothal: Can this be incorporated in /usr/sbin/usbsave, because that script
is called from /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff before rc.shutdown, this way looks like
it would be saving same thing twice. :?
OK. Here is a version that works without usbsave (and the calls to it)
Just make sure that you do not remove /tmp in rc.shutdown and you add the call to snapmergearchpuppy. ie rc.shutdown looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

echo -n "" > /var/log/messages
rm -rf {/root/{.adobe,.cache,.macromedia,.thumbnails},/var/log/X*}
exec snapmergearchpuppy 
clear
exec 1> /dev/null 2>&1
Latter To make it simpler the attached archsnap.tar.gz has all the required changes.
Just extract it and copy the contents at the root of your archpup filesystem
Attachments
archsnap.tar.gz
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
snapmergearchpuppy.gz
(3.68 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

slenkar

#45 Post by slenkar »

Going into the tint config file and setting autohide to 1 helps a lot, but you have to increase the autohide border

rcrd

#46 Post by rcrd »

Hi,

Thank you very much sigmargl!

This is my very first post. I've using puppy as my main OS for years now, but only Archpup has made come out of the shell and join the forum. Puppy and Arch... unbelieveable!! I'm really enjoying it. Thanks a lot for the excellent work.

One thing, urxvt didn't display or accepted special characters (accented characters (geany did), I wanted to write in Spanish in vim), so I had to generate new locale and add it to etc/profile. I don't know if that was the right thing to do, but it is working fine now.

I haven't manage to get the savefile working, but I'm enjoying myself remastering.

Thanks for the excellent work

simargl

#47 Post by simargl »

Hi rcrd,
Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like ArchPup :D. For problem with save file please I will
need some more information, is it on hard disk or usb and during boot process do you
see message like loading personal save file. If not try to select root of your partition when
making savefile, it will be created in folder archpup.

rcrd

#48 Post by rcrd »

Thanks for your help simargl

At the moment I have a frugal install of Archpup on HDD, Now, I have just created a savefile in root. I checked that the filesave was created, and it was, but when I rebooted, the boot process didn't find it, and then I checked but the directory Archpup and the savefile weren't there anymore.

In version 1204 I got kernel panic when creating a savefile in USB and HDD.

Thanks

rameshiyer

Arch Pup

#49 Post by rameshiyer »

I also have same problem. No save file after rebooting in frugal install. Another thing, my USB drive was also not detected.

mavrothal

#50 Post by mavrothal »

rameshiyer, rcrd, aand other with savefile problems try this:
On your first boot make your savefile either from the menu or typing "makepfile.sh" in the terminal.
Make sure you make the savefile it in a physical device partition and not in /root

Verify that your savefile is where it suppose to be. ie open Thunar and navigate to the mewly created savefile.
If not there, run again, preferably with the terminal command and look for errors.
If you can not make the savefile in a physical partition, look at the pup-volume-monitor, udev and kernel error logs for the root of the problem.

If the save file is OK, download archsnap.tar.gz
Open a terminal in the directory you downloaded archsnap.tar.gz and type

tar xvzf archsnap.tar.gz
cp -aR archsnap/* /
When you finish your work, just shutdown. Your data should be saved.
Works in 1212 and I believe should work with 1204 too.

Notice that if you have problems making the save file, archsnap is not going to help.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#51 Post by simargl »

Can you, after creating save file, run this command

blkid -o list
to see if your partitions are mounted. Script makepfile.sh should automatically
mount all of your partitions, /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1, /dev/sda2 on /mnt/sda2...,
so check in that location, in folder archpup will be craeated file archsave.2fs.
Last edited by simargl on Thu 20 Dec 2012, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

rcrd

#52 Post by rcrd »

mavrothal, thanks for your advice. I followed your instructions and created the file in sda3 partition, where my archpup-1212 resides, and the file exists. But when I reboot, it is not picked up.
The I saw simargl post (thanks for the tip) and after creating the savefile all my partitions get mounted, including sda3, where the filesave is. I rebooted and the savefile doesn't get picked up. I decide to run blkid -o list just after the reboot, before doing anything else and I see sda3 (where archpup-1212 and /archpup/savefile reside) is not mounted automatically. So I guess the file is not read because the partition is not mounted at boot time.
So, I decide to boot puppy 528, which also resides on sda3, and I see that puppy 528 mounts sda3 automatically.
Why is archpup not mounting sda3 at boot time? Do I need to include the mount code in .start?
Also, and this is most peculiar, after creating the savefile I decide to change the wallpaper, I go to /usr/share/backgrounds and select a different image I put there when I remastered the original archpup. The wallpaper doesn't change and the file disappear from /usr/share/backgrounds, I choose another image and the same thing happens, eventually all my image files disappear.
I am going to try with the original livecd just in case something went wrong when remastering.

Thanks a lot for your help

simargl

#53 Post by simargl »

rcrd wrote:I rebooted and the savefile doesn't get picked up. I decide to run blkid -o list just after the reboot, before doing anything else and I see sda3 (where archpup-1212 and /archpup/savefile reside) is not mounted automatically. So I guess the file is not read because the partition is not mounted at boot time.
So you have inside /mnt/sda3, folder archpup and inside that folder:
archpup-1212.sfs, vmlinuz, initrd.gz and archsave.2fs.
There's no reason to not work this way because I have exactly same
setup only in sda6. Perhaps you have pfix=ram in bootloader menu.lst

rcrd

#54 Post by rcrd »

These are my lines in the menu.lst

title Archpup 1212 frugal in sda3 dir archpup1212
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /archpup1212/vmlinuz psubdir=archpup1212
initrd /archpup1212/initrd.gz
I'll play around with the a non remastered iso, see what happens.

Thanks

oui

#55 Post by oui »

Hi

Try better don't to use some save file at all!

It is very easy to remaster your archpup-1212.sfs exact as you need to work or play as comfortable as possible! after that, you have an high performance system with great advantages!

the starting level of your system is always in /initrd/pup_ro2 ! This is the picture of the content of your actual archpup-1212.sfs.

open thunar and test in /root if you see the hidden files, then open with thunar you partition sda2. after that:

copy it on the hard disk easily in a new subdir /mnt/sda2/archpup1212/install

cd /mnt/sda2/archpup
ls
mkdir install
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/* /mnt/sda2/archpup/install
and can add, erase or change all what you want to get this high performance system!

for example parts of hidden documents and subdirs found in your /root dir.

or links in /usr/bin or /usr/lib to bind external things (for ex. the most actual version of your lovely mozilla).

etc.

is that done, prepare the next level of your archpup-1212.sfs:

mv /mnt/sda2/archpup/archpup-1212.sfs /mnt/sda2/archpup/archpup-1212.last1
ls
mksquashfs install archpup-1212.sfs -comp xz -b 524288 -Xbcj x86

learn to play with those matter! it is easy!

test to do that in a first time without any changes: only rebuild your archpup-1212.sfs without any changes to get experience. if you reduce the last line as follow
mksquashfs install archpup-1212.sfs
the time to compress your new file will be dramatic shorter (but the size of the file about 1/3 bigger! it also starts at this other size!)
see also http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 325#672325

rgds

oui

#56 Post by oui »

Hi simargl

Special thank for the superb application «scrot»! Do you know if it would be possible to shrink (all) pictures of a pictures directory instead to make screen shots?

rgds

darkcity

#57 Post by darkcity »

I'm liking Archpup's minimal approach and looking forward to trying pacman.

I've got stuck at the setting up wireless. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I need to setup this up before I can connect to the net.

I've loaded the Frisbee sfs, but no wireless is detected, see pic.

I've tried modprobe b43 but no luck with Frisbee or Pwireless 2. I wonder if a later version of Frisbee is needed.

my card is pci broadcom BCM4318

here's some outputs-

## Problems in Archpup
[root@archpup ~]#  lspci | grep -i net
04:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
04:03.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
[root@archpup ~]# 
[root@archpup ~]#  lsmod | grep -i b43
b43                   275782  0 
ssb                    35140  1 b43
mac80211              157757  1 b43
cfg80211              122652  2 b43,mac80211
mmc_core               57795  2 b43,ssb
[root@archpup ~]# 

## Working in Slacko 5.3.1
# lsmod | grep b43
b43                   132145  0 
mac80211              123470  1 b43
cfg80211               98953  2 b43,mac80211
ssb                    29319  2 b43,b44
Attachments
no wireless screeny.jpg
(39.07 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

stifiling

#58 Post by stifiling »

@darkcity

I was never able to get frisbee working correctly. the included pwireless2 seems to work fine though...i myself though am using wicd on 1204.

but for that wireless issue u're having, i'm thinking u're missing the firmware. i resolved it by copying out of another current pup...like precise or saluki the folder /lib/firmware to /lib/firmware on archpup...after rebooting and 'modprobe b43' it's working for me.

mavrothal

#59 Post by mavrothal »

rcrd wrote:These are my lines in the menu.lst

title Archpup 1212 frugal in sda3 dir archpup1212
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /archpup1212/vmlinuz psubdir=archpup1212
initrd /archpup1212/initrd.gz
So is your archsave.2fs in /archpup1212, in /archpup or in /archpup1212/archpup ?
The first (ie savefile and main sfs, vmlinuz and initrd in the same folder) works for me. The other 2, no.

oui

#60 Post by oui »

hi darkcity

archpup is so much different as other Puplets as that, what we urgently need, would be a good Wiki page with all the hints from the 2 threads as far as always convenient for Archpup-12.12 :lol:
darkcity wrote:I'm liking Archpup's minimal approach and looking forward to trying pacman.

I've got stuck at the setting up wireless. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.
and of course the connecting to wired or wireless network and eventually adding of firmware is an important figure in such a wiki page (I am sorry, I would really well help but as my internet box is recognized by all linux and I use wired connecting, I have no experience... I goes immediately perfectly!)

kind rgds