Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 00:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
2012: What a Year for Linux
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
James C

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 03:10    Post subject:  2012: What a Year for Linux  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unfx2qCj6Ao

2012 has been another year of records for Linux. The operating system is the fastest growing platform across multiple industries and is inspiring new projects every single day.
jpeps

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 04:42    Post subject: Re: 2012: What a Year for Linux  

James C wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unfx2qCj6Ao

2012 has been another year of records for Linux. The operating system is the fastest growing platform across multiple industries and is inspiring new projects every single day.

..with the video demoing a mac and google. ...now there's flexibility!

More broadly, the whole FOSS movement (Java, etc.).
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec 2012, 09:22    Post subject:  

I thought the Slackware 14 and Slacko 5.4 as well as Precise Puppy were the best of releases this year.

The worst release of any os of the year is Windows 8. Windows 8 has to many problems and needs to see a therapist.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan 2013, 18:12    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
I thought the Slackware 14 and Slacko 5.4 as well as Precise Puppy were the best of releases this year.

The worst release of any os of the year is Windows 8. Windows 8 has to many problems and needs to see a therapist.

Yeah, at the moment Windows 8 looks like the answer to a question almost no one was asking. Even Microsoft admitted to being disappointed to the intitial takeup when it was released.

Apart from Puppy PuppEX and Saluki / Carolina, my favourite releases last year were SolusOS, a Debian- and Mate-based distro by a former Mint developer; Manjaro, which is based on Arch and comes fully featured including some very stylish Conky configs; and Stella, a CentOS 6 respin which despite looking a bit retro has everything working "out of the box" and it all seems rock solid too.

Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan 2013, 20:14    Post subject: 2012: What a Year for Linux  

Quote:
...my favourite releases last year were SolusOS, a Debian- and Mate-based distro by a former Mint developer;...

I think this is one of the distros to keep watch of this year --Ikey seems to be a perfectionist who pays attention to the little details... and he also seems very interested in getting feedback from the users. Not even a year old, this distro is currently ranked 17th in popularity @ Distrowatch... --okay, I know not to read too much into the rankings... Smile Just as Linux Mint can be regarded as a polished version of Ubuntu, I think that SolusOS is becoming a polished version of Debian.

As for 2013, in other news it will be interesting to see how the OpenMandriva project will pan out.... a success of sorts or more failure?

Monsie

Krishnamurti Naskar

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:39    Post subject:  

Who told MS and Steve Ballmer to think of releasing Win8(A loser indeed),being well aware of the fact that linux's growthrate is at it's best.
The upcoming millenium is going to be of Linux.
That's for sure.
Yay! Wink

Some people say,XP was useable.
But after that,All disasters came following.

I think,MS would go open source for Win NT.
Wink
Krishnamurti Naskar

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:44    Post subject:  

Laughing Wink Very Happy
Adagio

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 01:30    Post subject:  

Next WinThing will have to be a proprietary Linux.
They have nowhere else to run to.
nooby

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 04:54    Post subject: Re: 2012: What a Year for Linux  

Monsie wrote:
Quote:
...my favourite releases last year were SolusOS, a Debian- and Mate-based distro by a former Mint developer;...

I think this is one of the distros to keep watch of this year --Ikey seems to be a perfectionist who pays attention to the little details... and he also seems very interested in getting feedback from the users. Not even a year old, this distro is currently ranked 17th in popularity @ Distrowatch... --okay, I know not to read too much into the rankings... Smile Just as Linux Mint can be regarded as a polished version of Ubuntu, I think that SolusOS is becoming a polished version of Debian.

As for 2013, in other news it will be interesting to see how the OpenMandriva project will pan out.... a success of sorts or more failure?

Monsie

I looked at their forum and found this one on logging in as root?

http://main.solusos.com/showthread.php?2169-Root-Login&highlight=root+password

Would I be able to get it booting on ntfs in frugal install?
I usually fail with Debian the only exceptions is SickGut's
own version the older one.

What boot code to use for Solus on grub4dos ?

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: