ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tote

#21 Post by Tote »

Hi simargl, thanks for your encouragement. I'm not about to give up, just proceeding painfully slowly....

I managed to create a savefile, it was outside the Arch folder in my partition, so I moved it inside, that seemed logical(?) but I'm not sure if anything is actually being saved to it.

Currently trying to figure out getting wi-fi to work... but I don't want to ask a lot of nooby questions and disrupt the thread. I pick up bits and pieces from reading the other posts.

'I shall endeavour to persevere'. :D

spandey

#22 Post by spandey »

Nice work !! How about moving this thread under Projects as it's not a derivative of any existing Puppy ? It's rather a project by itself.

spandey

#23 Post by spandey »

Please host the iso in some other place as having lot of problems downloading from dropbox.

Keef

#24 Post by Keef »

Glad to say that I'm not getting anymore lock-ups when doing reboot or logout.
Must have been a temporary glitch.

simargl

#25 Post by simargl »

spandey wrote:Please host the iso in some other place as having lot of problems downloading from dropbox.
See this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/archpup/, now to upload files, and download will be faster.

spandey

#26 Post by spandey »

Thank you so much!!! Please post all the iso's.

Caved

usb wifi

#27 Post by Caved »

Hallos,
I am trying to use Archpuppy on my old armada 1700 craptop, seems like my usb dongle doesn't come up in the network tool were the usuall weary 5.3 puppy does load the driver module. It's a Sitecom dongle and in weary it seems to load the rt2870sta driver as far as i can tell.

Am i supposed to load the thing manually? Maybe an idea to atleast add all the networking tools as they are in the official puppy weary? I'l do some testing see if i can get it going...

Have Fun!
Caved

T_Hobbit

#28 Post by T_Hobbit »

Pwireless still not working. See networks around but after double click/press connect, no password is asked.
Any change to install another software? Which alternative shall i use from arch repos? Wicd is a huge software with dependencies.

Still an amazing Puppy! Good work!
Last edited by T_Hobbit on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

simargl

#29 Post by simargl »

James C wrote:Just for testing purposes I also did a traditional full install of ArchPup 12.12 on an old P4 test box......... along with Xubuntu, Zenwalk ,Vector and a bunch of Puppy installs.

Still tweaking on it but working pretty well so far.
Very interesting, I've never tried full install. That way you basically have real Arch Linux system minus systemd. 8)
songzi wrote:wlan0 is not up after archpup is up and running. I am using it on a Thinkpad x230. Its wireless wifi module shall be Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200.
TIA. Like this Archpup very much. Thanks a lot.
T_Hobbit wrote:Pwireless still not working. Any change to install another software? Which alternative shall i use from arch repos? Wicd is a huge software with dependencies
Perhaps try with frisbee beta2.sfs from this page http://puppylinux.info/topic/archpup. Sorry cant help more. :(

oui

#30 Post by oui »

Hi simargl

a/ where are the key maps from? under keyboard layout us_intl, the key have a completely other comportment as usual in all other puppys (all other Puppys have the same, with minimal difference, as you easily can test at ArchBang without to need to install as it is delivered as live system)! It is very bad because only your puplet causes great amount of tipping errors :oops:

b/ what is with printing on the ArchPup system from other users? on my PC, it is not possible to connect with "localhost" to start cups! and also not possible to use the puppy classic "didiwiki"!

rgds

simargl

#31 Post by simargl »

@oui: Keyboard layouts are provided by this package kbd-1.15.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
I don't get typing errors, maybe you are using wrong keymap.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KEYMAP
There is problem with didiwiki connecting to localhost:8000, will try to fix that.

oui

#32 Post by oui »

Hi Simargl

Thank you for the infos.

a: Keymap

I did find the solution: The line in /root/.start for setxkbmap has to be written in extended style! As follow:

Code: Select all

01 #!/bin/sh
02 mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/home
03 imlibsetroot -p c -s f /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg &
04 setxkbmap -layout us -variant intl &
05 numlockx on &
06 if [ ! -f /usr/share/mime/globs ]; then update-mime-database /usr/share/mime; fi
07 if [ ! -f /etc/machine-id ]; then dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id; fi
08 if [ ! -f /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache ]; then gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders 09 --update-cache; fi
10 mpg123 /usr/share/audio/login.mp3 &
11 sleep 2s
12 tint2 &
13 sleep 2s
14 conky &
15 volumeicon &
16 sleep 5s
17 didiwiki &
18 ifconfig lo up &
19 rdate -s tick.greyware.com
20 exit
See pls lines 02, 04 and 17/18 !

Consult the doc /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst .

b: Sound level

I would be interesting to enter in line 15 a noise level (because I use a earphone and the noise level can really be excessive at starting point. is that possible?

rgds

Note1: you did use a different writing to name the iso and the sfs! It generates writing errors :roll: ...
Note2: concerning line 02, a dir /mnt/home would be needed in the archpup-1212.sfs and each user has to enter is own partition number!
Why an "home" directory?
You can for example prepare in the archpup-1212.sfs a /root/.history with following content:

cd /mnt/home/archpup
mkdir install
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/* /mnt/home/archpup/install
mv /mnt/home/archpup/archpup-1212.sfs /mnt/home/archpup/archpup-1212.last1
mksquashfs install archpup-1212.sfs -comp xz -b 524288 -Xbcj x86
pacman -Ss > PackageList.txt
pacman -Ss browser
pacman -Sfd mtpaint
pacman -Syu
and have in ready-to-use form prepared actions for important steps to adapt the system...
nothing to do else as "cursor up" and return, or very little changes :wink:

etc. ...
Last edited by oui on Thu 20 Dec 2012, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

#33 Post by simargl »

Alsa sound levels are saved on reboot to file /etc/asound.state. If you want to remaster iso
with new audio levels just copy that file to new rootfs, or use alsactl store to update.
I see you install mtpaint, for me only image editor needed is http://pixlr.com/ 8)
edit: to connect localhost:8000 type this first in terminal

ifconfig lo up
That should start automatically with rc.sysinit and will be fixed for new releases.
Last edited by simargl on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

slenkar

#34 Post by slenkar »

new version is very good

when I do packer -Sy it updates the databases for AUR but refuses to find any package in AUR that I search for

e.g.

packer -S mangler
doesnt work after updating databases with:
packer -Sy

simargl

#35 Post by simargl »

To search also in AUR run this first

update-ca-certificates 
That needs perl so either load archdev.sfs or install perl with pacman. Good luck

aragon

#36 Post by aragon »

Hi simargl,

Having more and more fun with archpup. As i'm running arch on some systems, i don't have 'cultural problems' with archpup.

One suggestion: maybe include a basic browser like links or dillo in the base so people could search for help (if they have a connection) without much fiddling. Or did i miss one?

Aragon

slenkar

#37 Post by slenkar »

thanks, have you tried installing chromium or iron-bin?
they have strange errors in startup, even after specifying a data-dir
Last edited by slenkar on Wed 19 Dec 2012, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

oui

#38 Post by oui »

Hi simargl
simargl wrote:I see you install mtpaint, for me only image editor needed is http://pixlr.com/ 8)
very well!
but I now have to learn more :x (how to shrink my photos to reduce them from 1..2 Mb > 100 kB, and eventually cut a part of the view!)

but really interesting!

you don't have a not installable webbrowser ($ wget url.php?mode=funny.browse) from net and how to link «browser» from puparch menu with it :roll: :wink: ?
edit: to connect localhost:8000 type this first in terminal

ifconfig lo up
I confirm, it works...

rgds

PS: Archpup.AMD64, after this wonderful Archpup.i686-1212when will he be available :lol: ?

mavrothal

snapmergearchpuppy

#39 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

T_Hobbit

#40 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi

Freesbee also doesn't work... Or I don't know how to use it...

Anyway... Any small size alternative on arch/aur repos?
And any small battery icon for the tray?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?: