Studio 13.37 is out!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
geo_c

the studio is really good!

#61 Post by geo_c »

I just want to say that I have the 1337 Studio Service pack 1, and I use it 24/7 as my main OS. I play and teach music throughout the week at several locations including a universtiy, during which time I encounter several wireless routers, wifi printers, as well as needing to stream lots of video/audio. Studio 1337 hasn't let me down yet.

As a guitar teacher I use the Tuxguitar tabulature app and email the pdf files to students rather than writing things out by hand. I also use Musescore 1.2 for notation. The complete usefulness of this OS is just difficult to fully describe. I have completely abandoned Windows altogether as a daily tool; something I have always found difficult to do in the past.

Although I do have a copy of Studio 1337 installed on my laptop's hard-drive, I actually run the Studio off of a 16g USB flash drive. The Savefile is currently 9gb and runs without bugs. I have Dropbox installed as well as OpenOffice. It's all stored in the flash-drive Savefile, which I back up to the laptop's hard-drive. Should the flash drive crap out on me, I can simply boot off the hard drive, which of course runs lightning fast. This OS is definitely worth the money.

I would like to see this project become an institution rather than a project. I really think it has the potential.

Announcer

#62 Post by Announcer »

Hey geo - who da man?

YOU da man.

Thanks for supporting the Studio 13.37 project.

ciento

#63 Post by ciento »

It really is refreshing to use products
that are designed for efficiency, capability, and ease of use, across
a wide range of hardware.

I doubt the microsoft choreographers can rescue Redmond from itself.
Making products that require more effort to accomplish less,
is a business plan no doubt greeted lovingly by the competition. 8)

Announcer

#64 Post by Announcer »

“Have you ever compared Studio 13.37 side by side with the others? I have… " - Jayguitarman

Hey Ciento. :D

I'm working on a video to put all the haterz in their place, finally providing evidence of what Studio 13.37 can do. It will be a 5-way split screen putting Studio 13.37 up against KXStudio, AVLinux, Dream Studio, and Ubuntu Studio. The video will show how long Studio 13.37 takes to boot and load programs compared to the competition (some of whom fail miserably), and compares the latency of the aforementioned distros.

For too long my critics have been able to claim there is nothing exceptional about Studio 13.37, that it is just another Linux studio distro.

After all, don't they all claim to be portable, and that you can use them without installing? Even though they are so embarrassingly slow and painful as to be completely unusable, the claim is constantly repeated.

Or the assumption that the latency is similar, etc. etc.

This video will hopefully put the lie to these and all of the other claims, because "seeing is believing".

Stay tuned. :)

cthisbear

#65 Post by cthisbear »

Announcer:

Keep on choogling mate.

When you release those vids I will link it on Whirlpool.
533,923 registered members

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

under >>>> Forums Linux/BSD

Chris.

Announcer

#66 Post by Announcer »

Thanks. :)

Hopefully I did a good job with this. I might have gotten carried away with the graphical overlays and stuff.

Anyway, here it is:

Studio 13.37 vs KXStudio, AV Linux, Dream Studio, and Ubuntu Studio

ciento

#67 Post by ciento »

Thats quite a show, I had to play it in slow motion!
The competition has some catch-up to play, but I doubt
following bloatware trends will help them.

Any plans for touch-screen, or bamboo trackpad type devices?
Android/ARM/tablet?

You must have projects to keep you from sleep and vacations,
now that speed has been properly vanquished :lol:
Cheers

Announcer

#68 Post by Announcer »

Thanks. :D

That video took a long time. Just holding up my phone in front of the monitor for a whole hour recording KXStudio trying to boot from a live CD was bad enough!

You know this is probably going to cause quite a storm over at LinuxMusicians.com. :lol:

As for other devices, no real plans yet...

James C

#69 Post by James C »

Announcer wrote: You know this is probably going to cause quite a storm over at LinuxMusicians.com. :lol:
Quite an understatement. :)

And I was thinking that this forum got a bit wild occasionally......... :lol:

cthisbear

#70 Post by cthisbear »

Posted...

No doubt some superior soul will think I'm on a roll as a troll.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2020489

Chris.

Announcer

#71 Post by Announcer »

cthisbear wrote:Posted...
Thanks.
cthisbear wrote:No doubt some superior soul will think I'm on a roll as a troll.
Welcome to the club.

Welcome to the frickin' club.

greengeek

#72 Post by greengeek »

I kinda like the idea shown in the video of the studio being loaded from CD. That forces the output to be saved to HDD, which is good. And also takes away the risk of stuffing up the original usb stick (which I think I've succeeded in doing...). Is 1337 mature enough to offer on a CD (ie: on a media that can't be updated)? I'd probably be keen to buy a CD copy that I couldn't stuff up...

nancy reagan

#73 Post by nancy reagan »

James C wrote:
Do you mean in those days when Announcer logged in as lowtech ?

Announcer

#74 Post by Announcer »

greengeek wrote:I kinda like the idea shown in the video of the studio being loaded from CD. That forces the output to be saved to HDD, which is good. And also takes away the risk of stuffing up the original usb stick (which I think I've succeeded in doing...). Is 1337 mature enough to offer on a CD (ie: on a media that can't be updated)? I'd probably be keen to buy a CD copy that I couldn't stuff up...
greengeek, do you have Service Pack 1? If not, you should get it, it fixes a lot of problems, and includes Shinobar's [fixed] newer version of his save program.

As for releasing it on CD, we like the usb stick thing. There's really no way to stuff it up, unless you delete the main filesystem or something crazy like that. Just delete your savefile, and you should be good to go.

Worse comes to worse, we'll send you another usb stick. We have the best business practices of any company on Earth.

(That we can think of. :) )

Announcer

#75 Post by Announcer »

James C wrote:
Announcer wrote: You know this is probably going to cause quite a storm over at LinuxMusicians.com. :lol:
Quite an understatement. :)

I know!

Can you believe they forced out those good OpenOctave people? The guy is personally financing the development of an awesome open source audio app for use in his wife's gospel movie, and they all hated on him and his team for no reason, all for giving the software away free under the GPL. I know for a fact that that left a bad taste in their mouth, and who can blame them? They said they were even thinking about moving to the Windows platform instead of Linux because of that.

m00nraker

#76 Post by m00nraker »

"quickly derek run and get your mammy"

nice work!

geo_c

Tablets

#77 Post by geo_c »

Hey guys, I'm looking at these tablets:

http://www.indiegogo.com/pengpod

and wondering about installing the studio in the 8gb of flash, or running from SD card. It doesn't look like the RAM is up to it spec though. I tend to need about 3g of RAM to run the studio comfortably.

Also is Slacko compatible with touch screens and so forth?

Announcer

#78 Post by Announcer »

Very interesting. I'm curious myself.

I don't know about the touchscreen/Slacko thing. Anyone else have an idea?

Announcer

#79 Post by Announcer »

Hey cthisbear, you were right about the website. I didn't know why it was loading so slowly; I think it was because all the packages I uploaded messed up my database files. Now that I've optimized them, the site seems ok.

I've also lowered the price back down. When Studio 4 was $9.99, it literally didn't even cover the cost of materials and shipping, and I got tired of driving to the post office to mail the damn things. Plus, the low price made it so that people were buying it instead of Studio 13.37 (which makes sense if you're curious and haven't tried either of them). So I had to raise the price on Studio 4, which meant I had to raise the price on Studio 13.37 also. So now that Studio 4 has been released for free, I can put the price of Studio 13.37 back down.

If that makes any sense. :D

cthisbear

#80 Post by cthisbear »

Total $29.99 USD

Hey! Don't tell the bank manager that you are making a fortune.

I hope that sales pick up.....
and thanks for the recent freebie >> Studio 4.

Thankfully the morons haven't deleted that post yet.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2023458

Chris.