Slackosave file and NTFS compression

Please post any bugs you have found
Dwedit

Slackosave file and NTFS compression

#1 Post by Dwedit »

I have my C: drive configured to automatically compress all files as they are created in the root directory. NTFS-3G appears to honor that, and will compress files it creates.

I was using Puppy Linux, doing all the initial setup stuff, and finally logged off and went to save the persistence file.
The next time I booted, I was getting all kinds of IO errors about bad blocks in the Slackosave file, and it didn't proceed very far into the boot sequence, so I rebooted with Alt+Ctrl+Del. I figured that probably had to do with the file being compressed.

I booted to Windows, and turned off compression for the Slackosave file, then Puppy booted fine after that.

I was checking the NTFS-3G documentation, and it looks like there are ways to mount the drive that disable creating compressed files, maybe you should use something like that.

gcmartin

Which is the problem occurring

#2 Post by gcmartin »

I have my C: drive configured to ...
I read your opening. I assume that the compression was done in Windows, initially, before using Puppy in a standalone mode.

Just for my clarity, would you describe which of the following.

Question
Which of these is the problem occurring? Is the problem on:
  • a single NTFS drive which is formatted compressed,
  • a NTFS partition on the drive that has been formated compressed, or
  • a compressed file (sometime encrypted) by Puppy which is on a non-compressed NTFS partition?
Here to help

Dwedit

#3 Post by Dwedit »

Sorry for an extremely late reply...

The term "compressed drive" is a very misleading term in Windows. It's just like setting the "compress this" flag in any other directory, except it applies to the root directory. Whenever the flag is set, any newly created files become compressed, and newly created directories have the "compress this" flag set.
So it doesn't matter whether that flag was set when formatting the drive, or it was set at a later time.

In my case, it was set at a later time. The drive contains a mixture of compressed and non-compressed files.

Anyway, I'm booting Puppy off my C:\ drive using grub4dos's grldr. Works great!