how to kill this radio station /virus?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Shep

#1 Post by Shep »

I listened to a radio station by opening a tab in the browser, and starting up gnome-mplayer. But even after closing the tab and the player, the station keeps streaming in. I can't see any process associated with it, and there are no browser tabs for the station.

I thought I got rid of it by disconnecting from the net, clearing cookies, then reconnecting to the net. But that only held until the next boot. Every day when I boot, the station is again streaming in!

Code: Select all

# netstat -n |grep tcp
tcp        0      0 192.168.0.2:38607       77.67.109.164:80        ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 192.168.0.2:38606       77.67.109.164:80        ESTABLISHED
Q: Is there some command I can issue to kill these connections? Maybe I can add this IP address to a blacklist? The station is streaming in at only about 10KB/sec. but I don't like to see any of my net quota constantly wasted on unwanted download. It is so persistent and difficult to get rid of, that it's like a virus. Each of the pair of connections to 77.67.109.164 is creating its own ever-increasing file in /tmp, so I'm not only streaming that station, I'm streaming it in double!

How to kill an activity which appears to be cloaked in invisibility?

Monsie

#2 Post by Monsie »

Shep,

It seems to me that you could put those unwanted IP addresses in the BLACKLIST="" line within the Advanced Configuration Options section of the Linux Firewall. Another method might be to block those addresses within the firewall settings of your router.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Shep

Re: how to kill this radio station /virus?

#3 Post by Shep »

Monsie wrote:It seems to me that you could put those unwanted IP addresses in the BLACKLIST="" line within the Advanced Configuration Options section of the Linux Firewall.
I can't see a way to get to the configuration options. All I can get to is the firewall wizard.
Another method might be to block those addresses within the firewall settings of your router.
Bingo :!: The frisbee traffic icon instantly fell silent. :lol: :lol:

Tnx

Bligh

#4 Post by Bligh »

Congratulations, glad you got it stopped.
Cheers