[SOLVED] Snap2 under different versions of gtkdialog

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#21 Post by thunor »

Thanks peebee.

I tried gtkdialog -f ./snap2_MAIN_DIALOG in Upup Precise 54x4 with gtkdialog version 0.8.3 r493 and it loaded ok for me.

Leave it with me for a while. It would be useful if you could checkout, compile and install the latest gtkdialog from SVN (I explained how to do it earlier). Locate the current gtkdialog binary (/usr/sbin/gtkdialog?) and copy the newly compiled one onto it, then run snap2 again and see if it works. I don't need any more output now.

If it's ok, I'll make you a special version of gtkdialog which you can try later on.

We're getting there :)

Regards,
Thunor

peebee

#22 Post by peebee »

thunor wrote:It would be useful if you could checkout, compile and install the latest gtkdialog from SVN (I explained how to do it earlier). Locate the current gtkdialog binary (/usr/sbin/gtkdialog?) and copy the newly compiled one onto it, then run snap2 again and see if it works.
Hi Thunor

Bullet bitten.....
devx downloaded....
Runes completed to checkout and compile latest gtkdialog....
Replaced / upgraded gtkdialog in Upup Precise 54x4

Installed and ran Snap2 - and IT WORKS as expected!!

Thanks for all your help....
I'll report in the Snap2 thread the results....and point lstandish to the improvements you have suggested along the way.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#23 Post by thunor »

peebee wrote:...
Installed and ran Snap2 - and IT WORKS as expected!!

Thanks for all your help....
I'll report in the Snap2 thread the results....and point lstandish to the improvements you have suggested along the way.
Cheers for your help and it's good that it works.

Via the magic of SVN revision logs I've got a good idea what that was:

November 16th r472 I connected-up the realize signal since it was half way there anyway but I experienced an instability later on because something was NULL that I wasn't expecting so I fixed it on November 30th r483, therefore I would recommend that if somebody has a version of gtkdialog that is r472 to r482 inclusive then they might want to consider upgrading to the latest version.

I'm all done with adding features to gtkdialog for the moment and am only hanging around making sure any potential problems are resolved, so what's in SVN now (r493) is pretty much what the next source package release is going to be.

You might want to explain to lstandish that I recommend adding the " | grep =" to the end of the seven lines of code where gtkdialog is executed so that he is only evaluating the printed variables. He could also either fix the warnings or discard them by following gtkdialog with " 2> /dev/null" or not worry about it since " | grep =" will filter them out anyway.

Good stuff :)

Kindest regards,
Thunor