Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Oct 2014, 05:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
'lina-lite - version 005
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 10 of 15 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 05:04    Post_subject:  

Amazing! Until your 004, it was difficult to appreciate just how powerful a statement can be made by a small, snappy clean but comprehensive distro. Apart from your obvious skills, el., your ability to listen and understand is evident. Whilst dog+world has disappeared over the horizon into la-la land with their multiGb .iso s, you have proved that raw talent and hard work always wins out.
It's all there! I am stunned (but never speechless!). There was nothing to switch on, not video, not sound, not connection, nada - it was all there at boot up. Other developers should pay careful heed and follow your fine example. Well done.
backi

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:41    Post_subject:  

Hey you !
Cannot start Sfs programms .
backi

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:31    Post_subject:  

Sorry ..something went wrong while downloadig..... Sfs works .
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 12:36    Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 004
Sub_title: Carolina lite - base package for customized distro using Xfce-4.10

Sorry to bother you; I am new to Thunar.

When I right-click on a text file, and ask for it to open with defaulttexteditor,
nothing happens if /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor is as in the first one, below:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
## exec geany "$@"
/usr/bin/nano "$@"

while this one does open the text file.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
## exec geany "$@"
## /usr/bin/nano "$@"
exec /usr/bin/leafpad "$@"

I've searched online, but no success thus far.

Help, please.

(This
Code:
 /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor  Startup/README.txt

does open the text file with nano when defaulttexteditor is as in example No 1)

Oh. Also, how to get rid of the "open-with-other-application"s that I'd tried and no longer want?
Thanks a lot,

Sheldon
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 18:21    Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

sheldonisaac wrote:
When I right-click on a text file, and ask for it to open with defaulttexteditor, nothing happens

You need to install a text editor of your choice, then in Control Panel > Software, select Default Program Chooser and add it to the list if it isn't there.
Quote:

Oh. Also, how to get rid of the "open-with-other-application"s that I'd tried and no longer want?

To remove the open with apps from the right click menu, edit /root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Cheers

sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 19:01    Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

Geoffrey wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:
When I right-click on a text
file, and ask for it to open with defaulttexteditor, nothing happens
You need to install a text editor of your choice, then in Control Panel
> Software, select Default Program Chooser and add it to the list if it
isn't there.
Thanks, I put nano in the box for text editor and
clicked update.
It still doesn't work from Thunar.
Can you please explain "install a text editor"? nano is in /usr/bin/
and works fine from command line.
Quote:
To remove the open with apps from the right click menu, edit
/root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Thank you,

Sheldon
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 22:32    Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

sheldonisaac wrote:

Quote:

Thank you,

Sheldon

At one point there you say nano is there and next you have leafpad, as far as I know nano isn't installed, leafpad is, in Control Panel > Software, select Default Program Chooser and add leafpad, that should work for you.
Screenshot-5.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.84 KB
 Viewed   495 Time(s)

Screenshot-5.png

Marv

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2012, 23:43    Post_subject: panel configuration puzzle  

Now running from a very mildly remastered 004. Mostly just patches. Put together an adrive with my office progs, printing necessities, some basic music players, opera and its config, and a fuller xfce4 panel. Runs great. Simple to do with the custom builder. Also done it as a loadable sfs, built with sfs-builder. Runs fine also. Here's the puzzle-perhaps it's just late. It's a layering thing. Running without the adrive, the main SFS defines a good simple xfce panel. Which then gets saved to the savefile. If I then run with an adrive (or a sfs with xfce configuration on board, the save file (basic panel) overlayers the adrive panel and or the supplemental SFS configuration. Running pfix=ram, the adrive (haven't tried the office sfs) loads the full panel just fine. Maybe I'm trying for too much flexibility-or just being fuzzy-. Is there a way to force the adrive/SFS panel config and possibly waltz back and forth here without 2 save files? I'd love to have a loadable/unloadable sfs carry the full panel and be able to revert with an X restart on unload.

Fuzzily, jim

rg66

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 00:24    Post_subject:  

Thanks elroy!

I really like the way this is going. A core system with puppy sfs an zdrive and only apps in the adrive. I can rename any sfs adrv and it will load or use sfs builder and have a complete system in no time.

Am still seeing issues with panel mount plugin not mounting drives unless previously mounted by thunar/pmount. I thought that had been resolved.

elroy

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 00:29    Post_subject:  

rg66 wrote:
Thanks elroy!

I really like the way this is going. A core system with puppy sfs an zdrive and only apps in the adrive. I can rename any sfs adrv and it will load or use sfs builder and have a complete system in no time.

Am still seeing issues with panel mount plugin not mounting drives unless previously mounted by thunar/pmount. I thought that had been resolved.

005 will have the panel mount plugin more inline with what 003 had to offer. The 004 panel mount plugin was botched. But glad you like where this is going.
elroy

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 00:32    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Amazing! Until your 004, it was difficult to appreciate just how powerful a statement can be made by a small, snappy clean but comprehensive distro. Apart from your obvious skills, el., your ability to listen and understand is evident. Whilst dog+world has disappeared over the horizon into la-la land with their multiGb .iso s, you have proved that raw talent and hard work always wins out.
It's all there! I am stunned (but never speechless!). There was nothing to switch on, not video, not sound, not connection, nada - it was all there at boot up. Other developers should pay careful heed and follow your fine example. Well done.

Wait until 005. It'll be a few kb smaller, and a few bugs will be fixed. As far as talent, don't know if that's the case. Carolina/lina-lite will never win any awards for being an official puppy distro - they're not woof/woof2 builds...they're built by hand. I'm more comfortable doing it that way.
elroy

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 00:34    Post_subject: Re: panel configuration puzzle  

Marv wrote:
Now running from a very mildly remastered 004. Mostly just patches. Put together an adrive with my office progs, printing necessities, some basic music players, opera and its config, and a fuller xfce4 panel. Runs great. Simple to do with the custom builder. Also done it as a loadable sfs, built with sfs-builder. Runs fine also. Here's the puzzle-perhaps it's just late. It's a layering thing. Running without the adrive, the main SFS defines a good simple xfce panel. Which then gets saved to the savefile. If I then run with an adrive (or a sfs with xfce configuration on board, the save file (basic panel) overlayers the adrive panel and or the supplemental SFS configuration. Running pfix=ram, the adrive (haven't tried the office sfs) loads the full panel just fine. Maybe I'm trying for too much flexibility-or just being fuzzy-. Is there a way to force the adrive/SFS panel config and possibly waltz back and forth here without 2 save files? I'd love to have a loadable/unloadable sfs carry the full panel and be able to revert with an X restart on unload.

Fuzzily, jim

lol. You've lost me Very Happy If you can figure it out in layman's terms, pm me, and we'll see what we can do.
elroy

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 00:41    Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

sheldonisaac wrote:
Quote:

Thank you,

Sheldon

nano isn't a part of lina-lite. mp is from the terminal, as is leafpad (in 004). However, the mime-handling isn't correct. You'd have to edit the /usr/loca/bin/defaulttexteditor to something like the following for leafpad to correctly open text files:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec leafpad "$@"

You probably don't want to remove any menu entry to "Open with other application...". Being that lina-lite doesn't include default applications (other than leafpad) you may need this option to correctly handle the mime-types of your installed apps. Being that lina-lite doesn't include default applications, it's up to the end-user to "hook-up" the mime-handling"; in other words, if you install a media player, it's up to you to add the correct code to ensure that the preferred media opens with your chosen app.

EDIT: if you wish for more automation concerning this subject, I'd highly suggest that you use Carolina instead of lina-lite.
Marv

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 01:07    Post_subject: panel mounter  

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:
Thanks elroy!

005 will have the panel mount plugin more inline with what 003 had to offer. The 004 panel mount plugin was botched. But glad you like where this is going.

These are the custom commands for the mounter that got lost in the lurch. You can just right click the mounter to get properties and paste them in. I'll try to write a script to reenter them when xfce shuffles panel item numbers.

Quote:
Custom mount line: Code:
sh -c '[ ! -d %m ] && mkdir -p %m ; mount %d'

Device blacklist example: Code:
/dev/loop0 /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3 /dev/loop4 /dev/fd0

put a space before the first /dev in the blacklist. Arrgh!

Edited: Got a script and a pet to cure the mounter blues. Sleep now and some more testing.

Edited_time_total
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2012, 03:48    Post_subject:  

There are aspects of philosophy and culture showing through, and entirely inappropriately in my opinion. Some folks are never satisfied. Give them a minimalist distro that works ootb and they want to make it bigger - what sort of sense is that?! Missing the point!

OK add a browser, but if you need a full suite of music playing and editing, ditto video shouldn't one be installing something bigger like Carolina, Precise, Slacko, Fatdog, or for regular desktop, use something much bigger like Mint?

lina-lite is ideal for running 'live' off a CD, SD or USB stick. Maybe a small file added for basic extra functions. After that, at least for Puppies, pull an old HD out of some roadside junk and do a FULL on that - the world is awash with 20/40/80Gb drives in perfect working order. Even a 5G drive is overkill for some regular Puppies. Furthermore, I don't buy the excuse of having to use shared PCs judging by the tons of ageing machine I am offered daily - mostly in perfect working order, or easily put so. One per distro isn't a dream, it's a reality - pile 'em up one on top of the other, only a few leads to swap for deployment. And you can't blame anyone else for poor choices in ladies if there are complaints from that quarter...
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 15 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum