Blender downloads on Puppy 5.25

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
NventiveGuy

Blender downloads on Puppy 5.25

#1 Post by NventiveGuy »

I have 2 questions.

I have Puppy 5.25 running on an Acer Aspire netbook.
I've used Puppy Package Manager to download/install Blender a few times, but when I click on the menu item in Graphic > Graphics Processing, nothing happens. I looked at the run script, but don't know that programming language well enough, nor do I have time to figure it out by reading shell script.

Do I have enough hardware to run it?
Am I downloading the wrong version of it? (I thought that the PkgMgr only gave me ability to download pkgs that are compatible with my system version, but I could be wrong.)

The other question I have is about Puppy 5.4. Will it run on my little laptop? I thought I read that it was mostly for 64-bit machines, but now I can't find where I read that. I can't find a list of "Puppy 5.4 features" that is not almost entirely about this rev of software or that rev of build platforms, or anything that I know something about.

Could someone point me to an easy-to-read overview of 5.4 and why I would want to run it---and can I run it on my hardware?

Thanks!!

steve_s

Re: Blender downloads on Puppy 5.25

#2 Post by steve_s »

NventiveGuy wrote:I have 2 questions.

I have Puppy 5.25 running on an Acer Aspire netbook.
I've used Puppy Package Manager to download/install Blender a few times, but when I click on the menu item in Graphic > Graphics Processing, nothing happens. I looked at the run script, but don't know that programming language well enough, nor do I have time to figure it out by reading shell script.

Do I have enough hardware to run it?
Am I downloading the wrong version of it? (I thought that the PkgMgr only gave me ability to download pkgs that are compatible with my system version, but I could be wrong.)
What did you download? Did you download it directly from the Blender website? if so , then you may have downloaded a source package, in which case you will need to get your version of the devx sfs package and complile Blender for your machine.

But I recomend that you google "puppy linux forum Blender" and look for the .pet package if someone else has compiled it on an available thread. Puppy installs .pet packages (as opposed to, for example, windows that uses .exe files).

As far as whether or not it will run on your machine, once you've got it installed, open a terminal, and try to run it from terminal. If it runs, you're good. If you get an error, then you'll know more. Good luck. :wink:

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Maxerro has uploaded Blender-2.63.sfs. On Puppy5.2.8 it will run after right-clicking & selecting sfs_load.

For help with errors you need, as Steve_s mentions, to run blender in a console & then post whatever errors you're getting.

NventiveGuy

Blender 2.63 sfs seems to work on netbook!

#4 Post by NventiveGuy »

muggins:
I downloaded the sfs file that you linked me to (fast! in like 2 seconds).
Right-clicked on it, and said "Yes" to the "Run it now?" question.
Seems to be running just fine---which is total awesomeness!!!
Thanks!

I'll also run later from a console, just to see if there are errors.

steve_s:
As I said in the initial post, I used the Puppy Package Manager.
There were 3 versions listed in the Graphics section:
-----
blender-2.56a-beta-lucid52 Create and edit 3D models and animations
Blender-2.49.2-Lucid52 Create and edit 3D models and animations
Blender-2.49.2-Lucid 3D models and animations *Install Python First*
-----

I installed all 3, individually, but none ran---even when I did the "install Python first" step. Maybe I could have run from a console successfully?

I searched the forum/s again (not sure which one/s), and found a friendly fellow who posted his *6* steps to get Blender running. I tried the links in his post, but they didn't work, so I sent him a message.

He replied several days later saying he was going to send me a link to his files. I thought I sent him email, but can't find it in my Yahoo account, or on PuppyLinux.info. So I'll look for it later today when I get time---so he won't be doing unnecessary work.

Thank you BOTH for the help. People on this forum continue to amaze me.

BTW--in the meantime, I bought a little faster machine with a touchscreen+stylus to do CAD better: Dell XT tablet PC (off eBay). It has Win8 (ghastly GUI!), but no product key.

So rather than making Gates richer, I will install Puppy 5.28 on it as well, and then this Blender sfs. Yay!!

steve_s

Re: Blender 2.63 sfs seems to work on netbook!

#5 Post by steve_s »

NventiveGuy wrote:steve_s:
As I said in the initial post, I used the Puppy Package Manager.
Oops, sorry I missed that...

I guess what we were after is whether you tried to run it from terminal and did it work there...

Glad to hear you got a faster machine and hopefully that will get it going. 8)

**Edit: and now just saw the subject and that you got it running; great!