Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

Re: custom carolina 004

#521 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote:
The file you’d need to alter is /usr/bin/pupsaveconfig. First, create a backup of the original. Then edit the original to only contain the following:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash

PUPSAVECONF=/etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf
PRECHOICE=no

cat <<EOF > $PUPSAVECONF
PRECHOICE=no
POPUP=false
EJECTCD=true
VERBOSE=false
EOF
Remember to ensure that the file permission is set to executable. After doing this, you will no longer get the create savefile at shutdown dialog, which of course would only be useful if you wish to run without a savefile.
I added PRECHOICE=no right to /etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf and it also works.

Code: Select all

PRECHOICE=no
POPUP=false
EJECTCD=true
VERBOSE=
Edit: It appears that if you haven't made a savefile there is no pupsave.conf. I just made a file named pupsave.conf and put the above code in and it shutsdown/reboots without saving.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

don570

md5sum check in Carolina

#522 Post by don570 »

I put MD5 sum checker (also sha-1) in 'SendTo' menu

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 870#670870

gcmartin

#523 Post by gcmartin »

anikin wrote:Geoffrey, thank you for clarifying this. However, what gets me thinking is this: suppose a person has a system with a PAE supported processor (Intel atom 270 and only 2GB of RAM - eeepc). Which one will be his best bet? PAE - there's not and never will be that much of RAM on this machine. Non-PAE?
both of these would suit the PC fine. PAE and non-PAE perform about equal in all situations with RAM less than 3.5GB.

We MUST remember that all PAE does is to take advantage of a hardware feature for accessing RAM done for our benefit in 32bit processing.

Because the work is done in hardware it has little impact one way or the other for damping/improving RAM access.

PAE functionality just makes Linux aware for using that hardware....no matter how much RAM is physically on your PC.

One reason the Carolina authors selected PAE (I think) is because the hardware feature has been put in MOST every 32bit (and included in 64bit) CPUs since its introduction by Intel and AMD in 1995. It has a 17 year history where there is no known negative impact on OS operations.

The users should not look for any bias, one way or the other, as most PCs and PC users today are using 512MB-1GB or larger PCs. Thus, assuming one's PC is among the many, and it runs PAE, Carolina (and all 32bit PUPs presenting PAE) will work on EVERY Pentium forward machine no matter how much RAM it has....1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc to 64GB. In most cases, I have seen that the ISO is less than 10MB bigger, but the running RAM footprint is about the same.

What makes Puppy unique and why this version is necessary is how 32bit Puppy Linux using the remaining RAM after it boots. This is why DVD/CD oeprations match/exceed installed HDD operations: Puppy maps the remaining RAM, after initial boot, into a useable filesystem. Thats a hardware hard-drive in RAM usable for system and user operations.

This is one the most clever ways of taking advantage of all RAM that is not used to run the system. Its just downright clever! And, one can easily see that this has benefit no matter how much RAM one would have...the more RAM, obviously, the bigger the RAM drive that would be available. To me, this is a poor-man's SSD.

Hope that helps

don570

Imagination 3.0 slideshow maker

#524 Post by don570 »

Imagination 3.0 slideshow maker

I was able to get Imagination 3.0 slideshow maker to work

It requires 4 files to be installed
(The order of installation doesn't matter)

1) libsamplerate (any version. I posted below
the smallest I found on forum)

2) ffmeg from carolina repository
http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

3) Special version of Sox and Imagination 3.0
found HERE

(104.46 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
Last edited by don570 on Sat 15 Dec 2012, 18:41, edited 3 times in total.

Geoffrey

Re: Imagination 3.0 slideshow maker

#525 Post by Geoffrey »

don570 wrote:Imagination 3.0 slideshow maker

I was able to get Imagination 3.0 slideshow maker to work
Thanks don570,

I've repacked this to use the existing dependencies in the Carolina repo, there was version 2.1 that wasn't that good, but this one is a lot better with the transitions.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Bligh

#526 Post by Bligh »

I downloaded and burned 004 on another computer and it seems to be working properly.
Cheers

Bligh

#527 Post by Bligh »

Can someone show me where to learn more about adrive and zdrive?
Cheers

smokey01

#528 Post by smokey01 »

Bligh wrote:Can someone show me where to learn more about adrive and zdrive?
Cheers
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SalukiTips?show_comments=1

Bligh

#529 Post by Bligh »

Thanks, I saved that page.
Cheers

mikeslr

How to Change Kernels with Custom Builder?

#530 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,
Its not my intention to start a war over the PAE kernel issue. Perhaps, as gcmartin says, the hardware to support it has been around since 1997. But I have a Thinkpad T42 manufactured in 2004 which will not boot kernels that are PAE enabled. I doubt that earlier Thinkpads will, and Thinkpads were fairly popular in part because they were robustly made and so still may be around in large numbers. And if IBM wasn't producing Laptops which didn't need and could not use more than 3.5gbs of RAM, why would IBM's competors incur the expense? So I suspect that any owners of such Thinkpads, and perhaps comparable laptops, looking to replace ancient XP OSes with a state of the art OS will discover Puppies and be disappointed that they just won't run: worse, sufficiently turned off by having wasted time and effort to download and burn a disk to never look at Puppy again.
Of course, there are other Puppies, and Carolina --like Precise-- is targeted to "newer" machines. I'm just suggesting that "newer" may be "newer" than Barry K and the Devs think.
Carolina 002, if I remember correctly, used a non-PAE-enabled kernel. But it's no longer available for download. And, I think Elroy or Geoffrey indicated an intention to someday publish another non-PAE version. But in the meantime I figured --having read somewhere that it's easy to change kernels using Custom Builder-- why not do so on my Quod-core and port it over to my Thinkpad.
By the way, Elroy and Geoffrey, Custom Builder works great in creating one's own adrive. I really appreciate that. But this was the first time I tried to change kernels. Got to the part which requires you to browse to your "kernel package." What's a kernel package? Something different than a Kernel Source? Where do you get an alternate kernel package?
I know there's a thread on how to switch kernels --I think started by jrb. But that involves de-constructing two Puppies in order to build a new one. Not easy, and certainly not something I'd expect to have to do in the middle of a running "wizard." Finally, thought of searching various repos for "kernel packages" and discovered "kernel_sources-3.2.13-ski.sfs" here:http://www.smokey01.com/menu/. I downloaded it and intend to run Custom Builder and point it to the download.
Am I on the right track? If not, how does one acquire a "kernel package?" And if so, does anyone know of similar packages?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

elroy

Re: How to Change Kernels with Custom Builder?

#531 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,
Its not my intention to start a war over the PAE kernel issue. Perhaps, as gcmartin says, the hardware to support it has been around since 1997. But I have a Thinkpad T42 manufactured in 2004 which will not boot kernels that are PAE enabled. I doubt that earlier Thinkpads will, and Thinkpads were fairly popular in part because they were robustly made and so still may be around in large numbers. And if IBM wasn't producing Laptops which didn't need and could not use more than 3.5gbs of RAM, why would IBM's competors incur the expense? So I suspect that any owners of such Thinkpads, and perhaps comparable laptops, looking to replace ancient XP OSes with a state of the art OS will discover Puppies and be disappointed that they just won't run: worse, sufficiently turned off by having wasted time and effort to download and burn a disk to never look at Puppy again.
Of course, there are other Puppies, and Carolina --like Precise-- is targeted to "newer" machines. I'm just suggesting that "newer" may be "newer" than Barry K and the Devs think.
Carolina 002, if I remember correctly, used a non-PAE-enabled kernel. But it's no longer available for download. And, I think Elroy or Geoffrey indicated an intention to someday publish another non-PAE version. But in the meantime I figured --having read somewhere that it's easy to change kernels using Custom Builder-- why not do so on my Quod-core and port it over to my Thinkpad.
By the way, Elroy and Geoffrey, Custom Builder works great in creating one's own adrive. I really appreciate that. But this was the first time I tried to change kernels. Got to the part which requires you to browse to your "kernel package." What's a kernel package? Something different than a Kernel Source? Where do you get an alternate kernel package?
I know there's a thread on how to switch kernels --I think started by jrb. But that involves de-constructing two Puppies in order to build a new one. Not easy, and certainly not something I'd expect to have to do in the middle of a running "wizard." Finally, thought of searching various repos for "kernel packages" and discovered "kernel_sources-3.2.13-ski.sfs" here:http://www.smokey01.com/menu/. I downloaded it and intend to run Custom Builder and point it to the download.
Am I on the right track? If not, how does one acquire a "kernel package?" And if so, does anyone know of similar packages?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr
Long time no-hear, mikesir! I'm glad to hear of that your taking the first steps in discovering the custom-builder. There is a non-PAE kernel that you can use located here - http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/kern ... 2.13-c.pet. This is the sister-version of the PAE kernel offered in the standard Carolina. Another option would be to try lina-lite, although lite isn't as user friendly as Carolina is. That said, lite doesn't contain 'extra-baggage'. Essentially, with lite you create a new adrive containing the packages that you desire, because lite doesn't contain any packages (outside of leafpad).

James C

#532 Post by James C »

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

I'm not really using Carolina but I assume you'll actually need the kernel pet. After compiling a kernel I make a kernel pet, a kernel headers pet and a kernel sources sfs ........you need the kernel pet.
See screenie for examples.
HTH.
Attachments
kernel stuff.JPG
(45.49 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

Marv

#533 Post by Marv »

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr
Give 'lina-lite a spin. I run a stable of Pentium M laptops ( Dell D610, Fujitsu 6120 and 6210 lifebooks) as well as a slightly newer IBM T60. 'lina-lite-004 runs extremely well on all of these machines and adding apps, whether be by adrive, sfs or manual remastering to a stable lean base is much easier than winnowing out bloat IMHO.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Carolina - 0.0.5 is available

#534 Post by elroy »

Carolina-005 is now available. Please visit the News page for info and download link.

peebee

Re: Carolina - 0.0.5 is available

#535 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:Carolina-005 is now available. Please visit the News page for info and download link.
Hi elroy

I got a red md5 error message from running the 004-005 delta but the 005 iso was created and appears to be uncorrupted....so I'm not sure if it has been created correctly or not.

It's only 256MB so I guess its not correct.

I've downloaded the delta twice....the md5 checks out.

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

smokey01

#536 Post by smokey01 »

peebee

#537 Post by peebee »

smokey01 wrote:peebee try this one.
http://smokey01.com/software/iso/lina-0 ... .iso.delta
Hmmmmmmm

My lina-004.iso has a different md5 to the one on the download site.....
mine: b1318cd0b25c401c798ba7ffed1d878a lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

repository: cfbfca0adb506abd2842cdea836e6d20 lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

004 was created using the 003-004 delta....

Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

Do repeated applications of delta files not produce identical isos??

I must admit that I don't check the new iso's md5 if I've downloaded a delta and it successfully creates the new iso.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rg66

#538 Post by rg66 »

peebee wrote: Hmmmmmmm

My lina-004.iso has a different md5 to the one on the download site.....
mine: b1318cd0b25c401c798ba7ffed1d878a lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

repository: cfbfca0adb506abd2842cdea836e6d20 lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

004 was created using the 003-004 delta....

Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

I must admit that I don't check the new iso's md5 if I've downloaded a delta and it successfully creates the new iso.

Cheers
peebee
I've been using the delta's for lina and lite since 001 and all the md5 sums match for me. Maybe check them all and see if one was corrupted.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

#539 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

I had to re-upload 004 right after release due to a missing file-permission for the probepart script. It's possible that you got the 1st download. But it's more likely that I didn't update the delta file (003 to 004) after fixing that. I don't know that for fact, but from what you're describing that would be my guess. My apologies.

peebee

#540 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:
peebee wrote:Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

I had to re-upload 004 right after release due to a missing file-permission for the probepart script. It's possible that you got the 1st download. But it's more likely that I didn't update the delta file (003 to 004) after fixing that. I don't know that for fact, but from what you're describing that would be my guess. My apologies.
No probs - these things happen - we're all grateful that you produce deltas - best regards - peebee