Puppy 541 on Acer Aspire One

Using applications, configuring, problems
paulh177

Puppy 541 on Acer Aspire One

#1 Post by paulh177 »

I've recently upgraded my Acer Aspire One netbook (about 4 years old now) to Puppy 541 (from 431).

I'm extremely pleased with 541 - no tweaks required to make it work with the Acer as I had to with earlier versions, just install and go.

One problem remains, however, that I've had with every Puppy version I've tried with the AOA - putting an SD card into the multi-card slot on the rhs of the machine: Puppy will only recognise the card if it is in the machine when booted. Inserting it after boot, it never gets recognised, how ever many times I refresh Pmount.

I can of course always use a USB card reader, but it would be nice to bottom this once and for all.

rjbrewer

Re: Puppy 541 on Acer Aspire One

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

paulh177 wrote:I've recently upgraded my Acer Aspire One netbook (about 4 years old now) to Puppy 541 (from 431).

I'm extremely pleased with 541 - no tweaks required to make it work with the Acer as I had to with earlier versions, just install and go.

One problem remains, however, that I've had with every Puppy version I've tried with the AOA - putting an SD card into the multi-card slot on the rhs of the machine: Puppy will only recognise the card if it is in the machine when booted. Inserting it after boot, it never gets recognised, how ever many times I refresh Pmount.

I can of course always use a USB card reader, but it would be nice to bottom this once and for all.
Aspire Ones are notorious for that (if they even start)
problem.

A possible fix:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-901438/

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

paulh177

#3 Post by paulh177 »

hmm.
my Puppy doesn't have a etc/rc.d/rc.modules

but i created one containing the line /sbin/modprobe acpiphp as per the link you gave, and rebooted, but it still doesn;t work. It doesn't work if I open a console and run modprobe acpiphp from there either.

T_Hobbit

#4 Post by T_Hobbit »

T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

paulh177

#5 Post by paulh177 »

Well OK, but Puppy doesn't have /etc/default/grub ... so should "pciehp.pciehp_force=1" go on the kernel line in menu.lst ... or what?

T_Hobbit

#6 Post by T_Hobbit »

Did not test yet. My Aspire One seems to be almost death and does not boot this days...
But when installing Puppy, the script gives the line to add to existing grub to boot Puppy. I assumed that you just needed to add that option to that line.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

paulh177

#7 Post by paulh177 »

of coursze I neglected to note some important information that this is a frugal install