Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2016

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. It's been my experience that the genuine Canon drivers are always better than the Gutenprint versions for anything more than basic text.

I notice that other PETs from the 2.70 series have been downloaded many times. But you are the first person to report a problem. Thank you.

The updated canon_ip90-2.70.pet on the first page should now work with all Puppies.

musher0

#22 Post by musher0 »

Hello, rcrsn51.

Can you recommend anything to get a Canon S520 to print with Puppy?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rcrsn51

#23 Post by rcrsn51 »

musher0 wrote:Can you recommend anything to get a Canon S520 to print with Puppy?
What Puppy are you using? Gutenprint 5.2.8 supports your S520. It is in newer Puppies like Precise and Slacko 5.4.

For older Puppies, there are reports that an S520 will partially work as a Gutenprint BJC-8200.

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

Many thanks for the advice.

My "production" Puppy is a lupu 5.25 retro, but I have slacko 5.33t and oldyeller's precise 5.36 on another PC (Acer with Intel 2.8 mHz).

I'll look that Gutenprint out.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

lillisgary

Canon Mp 250

#25 Post by lillisgary »

Just installed the canon mp 250 driver, basically don't know what to do next?

Lucid puppy 528, cups picks the printer up and everything, just not the newly installed driver if it is supposed to?

Regards

rcrsn51

Re: Canon Mp 250

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

lillisgary wrote:Lucid puppy 528, cups picks the printer up and everything, just not the newly installed driver if it is supposed to?
What procedure did you use to install the driver? This is a PET, so you need to click on it to install.

When you run the CUPS setup wizard, you get a screen that lists your printer device. A few screens later, you get a list of Canon models. Are you seeing this screen?

If you scroll down carefully, you should see your printer listed as a Canon MP250 Series. Select it.

If your printer is not listed, the driver didn't get installed correctly. Repeat.

lillisgary

Canon Mp 250

#27 Post by lillisgary »

Ja, thanks, went through it again carefully, and it was actually the first one listed in cups with the version and everything 3.40, thanks for the driver, printer is working cool now.

regards rcrsn51

rcrsn51

Re: Canon Mp 250

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

lillisgary wrote: it was actually the first one listed in cups
I find that "feature" really annoying. It's too easy to miss the printer when you aren't expecting it to be at the top of the list.

In older versions of CUPS, the printer was listed in its correct alphabetical order.

lillisgary

#29 Post by lillisgary »

ja, i was looking down where the other mp drivers were, but thanks again, appreciate it.

Hugh

#30 Post by Hugh »

I have a Canon LBP460 printer which I've been
using for several years. It has proven to be
very reliable and meets my rather modest
needs. Because I haven't figured out how to
make it work with Puppy I must use Win98 in
order to print with it.

A linux driver has been devoped for it and it
is available here.

Back in 2008 I requested assistance in this
thread.
Unfortunately, I was never able to
succeed in getting the printer installed with
CUPS.

Do you think it would be possible to develop an
installation pet using the driver files created by
Nicolas Boichat and Indan Zupancic?

If so I would be eternally grateful. Any assistance
you might provide would be exceedingly helpful.

I presently use mostly Wary 5.1 and Ttuxx's
2.14X TOP 8 through 10.
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Hugh:

I looked at this driver and there are a number of problems.

1. I don't think that it will work with any version of CUPS beyond 1.1.23. So it might work in Puppy 4.3.1. I don't know anything about the CUPS setup in 2.14X.

2. When you install the printer in CUPS, the normal device URI would be parallel:/dev/lp0. But the instructions state to use file:/dev/null instead.

Try the PET below in an older Puppy. It will automatically create a CUPS printer for you, so you don't need to run the CUPS wizard. Test it in an application like Abiword.

If you have already installed muggin's package from 2008, you will need a fresh Puppy setup to remove it.

[Edit] After several downloads, there has been no feedback. So I have deleted the attachment. If anyone else wants this package they can ask again.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 14 Jan 2013, 20:17, edited 3 times in total.

LeithR1

#32 Post by LeithR1 »

Hi there rcrsn51,
If I could divert your attention up a side alley for a second. Interested in what you said about scanning not working on some cannon printers as there were issues with Xsane.

I have a similar iproblem with my HP F2480 deskjet. it prints well after your assistance last week but the scanner does not work.

Do I need further software?

Apologies for sidetracking this thread.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR1 wrote: Interested in what you said about scanning not working on some cannon printers as there were issues with Xsane.
Where did you read this?
I have a similar iproblem with my HP F2480 deskjet. it prints well after your assistance last week but the scanner does not work. Do I need further software?
Have you installed the hplip_scan-3.12.10a.pet package? It's in the same thread as your hplip_print-3.12.10a.pet printer driver.

rameshiyer

Canon Printer Driver

#34 Post by rameshiyer »

Please provide driver for Canon IR6055 photostat cum Network Printer. It has scan facility also.

rcrsn51

Re: Canon Printer Driver

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

rameshiyer wrote:Please provide driver for Canon IR6055 photostat cum Network Printer. It has scan facility also.
Have you read the first page of this thread? There is a link to here for Canon laser printers. Read the section about UFR-II drivers.

Your iR-ADV6055 uses the UFR-II driver from here. I have not tested this, but it should follow the same installation procedure as in the above link.

This will be easier to get working if you first connect the printer by USB.

Canon does not list a Linux scanner driver for this device.

LeithR1

#36 Post by LeithR1 »

@rcrsn51
Have you installed the hplip_scan-3.12.10a.pet package?
Not yet but will do - thanks for the guidance.- again.!!

LeithR

#37 Post by LeithR »

Deleted
Last edited by LeithR on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

This thread is for Canon printers. Could we please continue this discussion in your original HP thread here?

LeithR

#39 Post by LeithR »

Deleted

rameshiyer

Canon IR 6055

#40 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed the printer driver. However, I regret to inform you that I am unable to print from machine. May be due to department restrictions. It is not asking dept. Id or password. Hence no print. Any other settings required for enable dept.Id and password. In Toshiba, we can set Department ID and password in settings on PC. However, not found any such settings in Canon IR 6055 or it is not asking to enter the same during print command as required while printing Microsoft Windows PC.

I would be very happy if possible to print from my Puppy machine.