No srt subtitle in VLC or Gnome movie players

Booting, installing, newbie
ashirogi

No srt subtitle in VLC or Gnome movie players

#1 Post by ashirogi »

please help me ....

hallo pupy lover's.

I am a new user and I use Lucid Puppy.
I have a problem when playing movies like, why subtitle file. srt not running when I run the movie.
but when I use subtitle .ass file. running well.
i use vlc player and gnome player.

sorry my bad English, hope you understand what :cry: :cry: I mean.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

I can't remember whether or not VLC has an option to auto-load subtitles - if so, and it's enabled, try saving a copy of the .srt file with the exact same name as the video file you want to use it with:

ThisIsMyVideo.avi
ThisIsMyVideo.srt

...and see if VLC detects and loads the file.
Otherwise, have you tried manually loading the .srt file using VLC's subtitle options? Either way, though, you may still have to switch VLC's subtitle display on.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

ashirogi

#3 Post by ashirogi »

I've tried to match the name of the file and load it manually but it still can not be read, but only files with the extension. srt, subtitle files with the .ass extension runs fine.

thanks for your answer.

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

VLC shouldn't have a problem with .srt subtitles, that I'm aware of. I've used them with VLC before, on occasion.

Try loading the .srt in a text editor (Geany, or whatever other plain text editor (NOT a word processor, like AbiWord or OpenOffice's Writer) may be installed on your setup), and see if it's not corrupted in some way. A normal .srt (which is actually a text file) should have timecodes, followed by the subtitle lines to appear at those times.

(There's also an unofficial version of the ,srt format that attempts to use HTML codes to create text effects like bold and italic text, so don't worry if you see anything like that. I'm not sure whether or not VLC actually supports that format, though.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

ashirogi

#5 Post by ashirogi »

.srt file is fine, not corrupted. i try open with geany i'ts fine.
but not just one file I try, I've tries several files .srt
mybe i mus use vlc latest.

chrome307

#6 Post by chrome307 »

What settings are you using for video output??

X11??