Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 12:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Which Puppy should I install?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
PupLu

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012, 12:22    Post subject:  Which Puppy should I install?  

There are so many Puppies, which is best for my PC? MacPup, Precise or Slacko. I have Slacko installed on another PC and it works fine. I have Bodhi Linux installed but it is hanging. So I want to try Puppy.

Pentium 4
RAM: 768 MB
Hard Disk: 160 GB
Dewbie

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012, 13:34    Post subject:  

For a machine of that era, I would first try Wary or Lucid.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012, 15:17    Post subject:  

Agreed, though another option would be ttuuxxx's Puppy Classic 2.14X. I got it working on an even older machine than yours - a Pentium 3 with 512 MB of RAM.

Then there's John Biles's Legacy 2, which is designed for older computers in mind and also worked well on my old machine. There are several options, even for an older machine.

Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (866 MHz), 512 MB of RAM, 30 GB hard drive running Puppy Fire Hydrant Inferno, Puppy Precise 5.71 Retro, Puppy 5.5 Wary, Puppy Deeper Thought 4.20 and Puppy Legacy OS2.1 LTS.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012, 03:09    Post subject:  

I detect an implication in the responses that your Pentium 4 is under-powered, and you should choose an older Puppy.
What nonsense.
Until recently I was happily using a Pentium2-350 with 256MB RAM. Puppy 2.14 ran super quick, but even Lucid 5.2 was reasonably quick.

A Pentium 4 with 768MB RAM should work just fine with the very latest releases - just avoid the "PAE" versions, which are compatible with systems having over 4GB RAM.

I recommend the latest official Puppy release - Slacko 5.4
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.4/slacko-5.4-opera-4g.iso
PupLu

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012, 05:57    Post subject:  

The other PC I am talking about is also from the same era with only 256 RAM and is running Slacko 5.2 without any problem.
T_Hobbit

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012, 06:08    Post subject:  

With a P3? Go for Slacko. A problem will you not have!
Dewbie

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012, 16:47    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
Quote:
I detect an implication in the responses that your Pentium 4 is under-powered, and you should choose an older Puppy.
What nonsense.

I detect an implication that Wary is an "older Puppy."
What nonsense. Laughing
From BarryK:
Quote:
It has been argued that the Puppy 4.x series is the high-point of Puppy development, one reason being that it runs well on a very wide range of hardware. I wanted to move to a new software base (new libraries, compiler, kernel, drivers, applications) yet retain that hardware support...The latest versions of many applications, such as SeaMonkey, Abiword, Gnumeric, and I do intend that many applications will be upgraded in future releases of Wary. Also the very latest media players and drivers -- video/audio, scanners, printers...I do expect that Wary will run fine on PCs a couple of years old, say built in 2008 or earlier.

History lesson, courtesy of Wikipedia:
Quote:
Pentium 4 was a line of single-core desktop and laptop central processing units (CPUs), introduced by Intel on November 20, 2000 and shipped through August 8, 2008.

Last edited by Dewbie on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 21:49; edited 3 times in total
liro

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012, 20:52    Post subject:  

I found that Slacko "just worked" on my old laptop (Thinkpad X31), whereas I had a few different problems with Wary. I get the impression that Wary is more suited to very old hardware (like pre-2000). If you have a Pentium 4 then I'd definitely go for Slacko over Wary.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: