'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mavrothal

#121 Post by mavrothal »

Sage,
(scene from the Woody Allen movie: Take the money and run): "Come to the point" (ie address the question).

Do you imply that all puppies should be the same? ie only one puppy? If (I hope) not, then you must bet on the right horse to get it. A show-jumping horse is not going to win the Kentucky derby (going for the full "Animal farm" here)
Otherwise, you (and the others involved) just gets frustrated and/or annoyed.
This does not help anybody, and particularly the land-fields.

If we go for "Curtain B", I'm sorry to say that Statler and Waldorf were way more funny.

(Next time theater, music and dancing)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#122 Post by Sage »

Afraid your jests are lost on me, M - I never watched or understood American 'humour' when I resided over there. Similarly, the local contemporaneous references are lost on me for which I apologise. Notwithstanding, it's good to receive a riposte that is both robust and from a gent not in need of a mirth transplant.

dennis-slacko531

#123 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I'd always assumed -M lived in quiet desperation in some despotic.country. Kind of a party night tonight. Bought a cheap desktop on eBay this morning. Check my post under HARDWARE --if you wish. Happy holidays

BIG EDIT: Sorry, I sure didn't expect to say anything objectionable. Maybe our locations don't offer enough diversity. I'm in Portland, Oregon living in a crummy trailer and well, that's about it.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

#124 Post by elroy »

Well, I guess I asked for opinions...how 'bout we keep it simple for now. And civil in our discussion. Let's focus on making lite stable before we decide whether or not to go in any specific direction. Obviously there's some potential here. And there's no need that we all agree at present, other than the goal of moving in a direction that approaches stability.

As far as the adrive is concerned, that part of lite will be staying. Outside of Xfce it's what separates the Saluki/Carlina branch from other puppy distros. Certainly it can be removed for those with the know how or those that wish to do so (and with the next version both Carolina and lina-lite will boot into the desktop without it). The best course of action if you don't subscribe to it or flat out can't stand it is to ignore it. But that isn't the only reason that the adrive will be staying, though. For those that try it (the custom-builder), it is easier to remaster their build using it than by using traditional measures (unless, of course, you've become accustom to those measures). But for the new user it has proved to be a much simpler way of doing it. If the goal were to be 'official', then yes, it'd be a consideration. But that isn't the goal here.

I do appreciate the suggestions, and the fact that diversity is welcome here on the forum. But we can't afford to let our personal opinions or desires blind us to the fact that others have differing viewpoints, which may or may not be just as valid as ours. To the contrary, differing points of view are a good thing when it comes to hashing out the best course of action.

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

Good thinking that man - El el. Can't be any objections to content that can be ignored with impunity; isn't that what 99% do with most distros? Unless, of course, it leads to bloat, and none of us want that, do we!

sheldonisaac

Re: 'lina-lite - version 003

#126 Post by sheldonisaac »

I messed up my frugal install, so opened the .iso and put a fresh copy of
adrv_lina_003.sfs in the /mnt/home/lina directory.

But now I messed it up again: the blue desktop is OK, but the system tray (what's the correct name?) at the bottom is also blue.

Will someone please tell me how to fix the colors? I'll be glad to directly edit some settings file, if I can't do it via Control Panel or ??

Also: somehow a '#' has appeared at the very left bottom corner, to the left of the little dog menu button.

Thanks,
Sheldon

Marv

#127 Post by Marv »

sheldonisaac wrote:I messed up my frugal install, so opened the .iso and put a fresh copy of
adrv_lina_003.sfs in the /mnt/home/lina directory.

But now I messed it up again: the blue desktop is OK, but the system tray (what's the correct name?) at the bottom is also blue.

Will someone please tell me how to fix the colors? I'll be glad to directly edit some settings file, if I can't do it via Control Panel or ??

Also: somehow a '#' has appeared at the very left bottom corner, to the left of the little dog menu button.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Is the rest of the panel ok? If so, check that the compositor is enabled (see screenshot below). To set the overall screen background, right click on the desktop, in desktop settings, choose a background. Images to choose from are stored in /usr/share/backgrounds. I don't know why the # is there offhand. If you rightclick on it is remove an option?
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Compositor setting in control panel.
(80.75 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

sheldonisaac

#128 Post by sheldonisaac »

Marv wrote: Is the rest of the panel ok? If so, check that the compositor is enabled (see screenshot below). To set the overall screen background, right click on the desktop, in desktop settings, choose a background. Images to choose from are stored in /usr/share/backgrounds. I don't know why the # is there offhand. If you rightclick on it is remove an option?
Thank you, Marv.
I did find the compositor, but didn't understand what it might do for me.

I started all over with pfix=ram, and don't recall at the moment what the original task bar looked like. It's now blue #99BCF3, like the rest of the desktop.
Sorry I'm making all these mistakes.
The # at the left end seemed to appear when I tried to set the panel to automatically show and hide, rather than lock.

(How do I insert the image, rather than attach it?)
Attachments
linadesktop.png
(12.63 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

Marv

lina panel

#129 Post by Marv »

Hi sheldonisaac,

The # looking thing is actually a panel "handle". It will always show up when the panel isn't locked.

Looks like there are a couple of options to play with with on your panel. The way it looks now is expected as with the compositor on and set at full transparency, the blue desktop 'shows through'. If you right click on the panel, chose panel, then panel preferences, then appearance; you can play with both the color of the panel and how transparent you want it to be. Put some image in /usr/share/backgrounds, set it as the desktop background, and it's a little easier to see what is happening.

If you save the screenshot you want to post as a jpg, max size 800x600 I believe and attach it, it should also show up in the posting.

It's all play :)
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

bash reference card pet

#130 Post by Marv »

Sorry for hogging but here's a great pet:

Seems fine in 'lina, menu entries are in office ootb.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 573#648151

sheldonisaac

Re: lina panel

#131 Post by sheldonisaac »

Marv wrote:Hi sheldonisaac,

The # looking thing is actually a panel "handle". It will always show up when the panel isn't locked.

Looks like there are a couple of options to play with with on your panel. The way it looks now is expected as with the compositor on and set at full transparency, the blue desktop 'shows through'. If you right click on the panel, chose panel, then panel preferences, then appearance; you can play with both the color of the panel and how transparent you want it to be. Put some image in /usr/share/backgrounds, set it as the desktop background, and it's a little easier to see what is happening.
Thanks a lot! Very good of you to help!

If you save the screenshot you want to post as a jpg, max size 800x600 I believe and attach it, it should also show up in the posting.

It's all play :)
Attachments
lina-706PM.jpg
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 619 times

rg66

#132 Post by rg66 »

Just integrated the adrive with the puppy sfs and got it down to 68.2MB. Added some eye candy, removed some themes and did menu edits etc...

Working good so far, haven't had any probs yet. Now I can use the adrive just for my apps. Maybe set it up to run without a save file.
Attachments
Screenshot-1.jpg
(136.64 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

sheldonisaac

adrive stuff

#133 Post by sheldonisaac »

rg66 wrote:Just integrated the adrive with the puppy sfs and got it down to 68.2MB. Added some eye candy, removed some themes and did menu edits etc...
I have no hope of ever doing such complicated stuff.

Some days ago, referring to the tutorial that Elroy mentioned last week in the Carolina thread
http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/custom-builder.pdf , I
tried to modify my adrive just a little. After that, 'lina-lite 003 essentially didn't work. Sorry can't recall details.

I had to replace the adrive with an undamaged one from the iso.

If/when I try again, I wll try to be careful, and almost certainly will need help.

Thanks,
Sheldon

Marv

Re: adrive stuff

#134 Post by Marv »

sheldonisaac wrote:
rg66 wrote:Just integrated the adrive with the puppy sfs and got it down to 68.2MB. Added some eye candy, removed some themes and did menu edits etc...
I have no hope of ever doing such complicated stuff.

Some days ago, referring to the tutorial that Elroy mentioned last week in the Carolina thread
http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/custom-builder.pdf , I
tried to modify my adrive just a little. After that, 'lina-lite 003 essentially didn't work. Sorry can't recall details.

I had to replace the adrive with an undamaged one from the iso.

If/when I try again, I wll try to be careful, and almost certainly wil need help.

Thanks,
Sheldon
We ALL make big mistakes sometimes more than occasionally :cry: That's one of the virtues of the frugal install. I keep two working directories (at least) for any pup I'm working on so that I always have a save/SFS/adrive from just before I perform a high wire act. I also always have at least one stable pup in my Grub4dos list so I can easily boot to it and fish what I need out of the backup directory. The real operating table is a separate ext partition, pretty messy at times.

If you don't use Grub4dos (or an equivalent) I'd say it is a good thing to learn before doing major surgery since it lets you easily and quickly boot back to a stable pup. I think there is a tutorial on it. Saved my butt more than once. BTW, all this is on a 16Gb cfcard so lots of drive space isn't needed and it is much less aggravating than going back to a CD or even to a bootable USB drive.

elroy

lina-lite-004

#135 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite-004 is available. Check the first post of this thread for download links.

What's new:
Essentially, 004 offers is a few modifications concerning the theory of the distro. The applications that were previously located on the adrive are now located on the main puppy_lina_004.sfs. The only thing located on the adrive is leafpad. Because of these changes, llna-lite can be booted without an adrive straight to the desktop. Also, the overall ISO size has shrunk to about 93 MB. While this certainly isn't a perfected version, nor is it yet user friendly, it is much smaller, and the moving of packages to the main puppy sfs will help with stability going forward. If you have a custom 003 setup, it is appreciated that you probably won't want to update. However, it'd be very much appreciated if the regular users of 003 could bug-test 004 if at all possible. There aren't a lot of 'splash' changes, but the changes that were made are necessary moving forward and need to be tested.

Sage

#136 Post by Sage »

Amazing! Until your 004, it was difficult to appreciate just how powerful a statement can be made by a small, snappy clean but comprehensive distro. Apart from your obvious skills, el., your ability to listen and understand is evident. Whilst dog+world has disappeared over the horizon into la-la land with their multiGb .iso s, you have proved that raw talent and hard work always wins out.
It's all there! I am stunned (but never speechless!). There was nothing to switch on, not video, not sound, not connection, nada - it was all there at boot up. Other developers should pay careful heed and follow your fine example. Well done.

backi

#137 Post by backi »

Hey you !
Cannot start Sfs programms .

backi

#138 Post by backi »

Sorry ..something went wrong while downloadig..... Sfs works .

sheldonisaac

Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

#139 Post by sheldonisaac »

Sorry to bother you; I am new to Thunar.

When I right-click on a text file, and ask for it to open with defaulttexteditor,
nothing happens if /usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor is as in the first one, below:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
## exec geany "$@"
/usr/bin/nano "$@"
while this one does open the text file.

#!/bin/sh
## exec geany "$@"
## /usr/bin/nano "$@"
exec /usr/bin/leafpad "$@"
I've searched online, but no success thus far.

Help, please.

(This

/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor  Startup/README.txt 
does open the text file with nano when defaulttexteditor is as in example No 1)

Oh. Also, how to get rid of the "open-with-other-application"s that I'd tried and no longer want?
Thanks a lot,

Sheldon

Geoffrey

Re: 'lina-lite - version 004

#140 Post by Geoffrey »

sheldonisaac wrote:When I right-click on a text file, and ask for it to open with defaulttexteditor, nothing happens
You need to install a text editor of your choice, then in Control Panel > Software, select Default Program Chooser and add it to the list if it isn't there.
Oh. Also, how to get rid of the "open-with-other-application"s that I'd tried and no longer want?
To remove the open with apps from the right click menu, edit /root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Cheers
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]