Problems building Open Motif 2.1.32 (for ddd build)

Using applications, configuring, problems
RobertHardy

Problems building Open Motif 2.1.32 (for ddd build)

#1 Post by RobertHardy »

[ Actually, I am trying to install Open Motif because ultimately I want to get ddd running (one of the front-ends for gdb), so if anyone wants to suggest an alternative front-end that is easier to build then please do. ]

The instructions for building and installing OpenMotif are contained in the RELNOTES file, and are as follows.
I will put the issues I am having at the appropriate points:

1) Unpack the tarball into a directory called something like MotifSource.
2) Create another directory called MotifBuild and symbolic-copy the source directory tree to MotifSource using the command lndir

Problem: I do not have lndir available in my Puppy 4.3.1, so I cannot do this part (but see footnote below).
Instead I just go ahead and build within the same directory tree that I got when I unpacked the tarball.

3) Customize the file site.def 'to reflect local preferences for install locations, compilers, paths. etc.'

Me: I do not change anything in that file, since I really do not have a strong opinion on anything that the file contains.
Obviously, I am used to the usual concept of '--prefix=$HOME' as part of a configure/make build process, so somehow I feel like I would like to apply that same principle here.
There are a few lines within the site.def file which look like they could/should be updated to fit my Puppy install usuals, they start with

Code: Select all

# undef DefaultUserPath ...
4) The build instructions now say 'If you are building with imports (the default setup in site.def ... '

Me: Well I guess I am doing the default stuff, so I follow this point and create 3 symbolic links in a directory I create called /import/X11.

5) Next bit in RELNOTES is tricky again: you are asked to see if <vendor>.cf contains mention of BootstrapCFlags, and if not then build with

make World >& world.log
Me: There are lots of different something.cf files, and the obvious candidate seems to be linux.cf. Within that file there is no mention of this parameter, so I go with this build option.

Things happen and I finish with

make install >& install.log
Problem: now when I build ddd I get a message saying that Motif is not available. Precisely, it grumbles that 'the Motif include file /XmXm.h could not be found'.

Well, I have a browse and find that the Open Motif install process has created a few directories, and in particular one being

/usr/OpenMotif-2.1.32

If I look at the log file world.log I find plenty of error messages; not really surprising but there you go.

Footnote: the build process for Open Motif has nonetheless given me the lndir command in the directory

/usr/OprnMotif-2.1.32/bin
It strikes me as odd that the lndir command is provided by the build process when it was actually stated as being used during the build process?

Many thanks for any help.
Last edited by RobertHardy on Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

RobertHardy

Update: got ddd working with LessTif

#2 Post by RobertHardy »

I took an alternative approach to the problem, remembering that I had somewhere seen mention of LessTif as an alternative to Motif.

The LessTif build process was the familiar configure/make with --prefix=$HOME.

All worked without a single problem, and now I have ddd up and running!

However, if someone does know how I could install Open Motif I am still interested to find out why I was having problems.