SFS P.L.U.S. 2.0.5

Miscellaneous tools
nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Thanks Backi!

You made a comment to RSH that I have wondered about.
I trust he wrote to you in German to not having to deal with
language barrier. Typically using google the German to English
needs much improvement.
Seems to me that sometimes its hard for you to express your visions . Those topics your working on are not so easy to describe.
What I would want to know is things like.

Should I use the SFS P.L.U.S. 2.0.3 on the Lupu Puppy 528-005
or should I go over to RSH's Lazy Puppy with built in SFS P.L.U.S. 2.0.3?

Would that one have features that work better together.

I guess it means I have to download each pet instead of getting
it built in from start? Okay should read on Lazy page first.

All this rebuilding needed RSH having done it he need to place it
on a server that is easy to load from.

Sure I am curious but I usually fail with even simple things so ...
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

RSH

#22 Post by RSH »

Hi.

@DrDeaf

I know LazY Puppy runs on some 64bit computers but mostly these computers do have hardware which is too new for the LazY Puppy ---> it's based on lucid 528-4 which is made from ubuntu lucid 10.04.

With 16GB RAM you should be able to do all the jobs (convert the sfs to LazY Puppy and creating the RunScripts from the sfs) in RAM, even without any hd.

All you need to do is do a right-click on the sfs and choose the action you want from the context-menu (right-click-menu).

I do not know Fatdog64 but I think to remaster this puppy should be just as it is in other puppies. All you have to do is to keep some files in some directories in /root. Information on these files is noted at first post. Usually you'll get a option to edit /tmp/root at the remaster process. Just copy the files from the directories in /root to the directories in /tmp/root.

If you can use edit-sfs from pizzasgood, you can put the SFS P.L.U.S. manually into the Fatdog's sfs file ---> so, this way there'll be no need to remaster Fatdog the usual way.

@nooby

I can not tell you, what to do. If you are using lucid 528-005 you'll have to install SFS P.L.U.S., do a remaster and collect all applications you want to use, make sfs (if not already a sfs), make RunScripts etc. Everything is totally easy and comfortable.

LazY Puppy has everything ready to go, plus a lot of applications already available as sfs and they are downloaded automatically from the web (smokey's server) at first use (if not already downloaded and/or installed). The sfs files are downloaded and saved to boot directory. So, make sure the boot directory is mounted.

My answer to backi, written in German language was made using German, because I did not have the time at this moment to think and to write this in English language. I will translate this later tonight, to make English users (better saying non-German-users) able to understand all information from this post.

About Spotify: here is a portable linux application of Spotify (and some more):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/
Spotify is placed at the middle of the list.

Yes, google fails mostly on every language, except you have to translate just single words. :lol:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

I have installed the SFS PLUS 203 latest.
But your description on how to do the spotify
I don't get how to make a pet out of the spotify directory.
I even installed dir2pet but that did not give any gui
or menu entry so don't know how to do that part.

You wrote

Right-click and extract all the .pet files,
Yes did that and that created three different directories

copy all extracted files/directory contents into the extracted spotify directory,

That can not be done because it already have such directories
and it ask which one it should delete for to copy it over.
So I tested to move the whole directory withour opening it
and that worked so in the end I only had one Spotify dir then

right-click the directory to build a .pet package,
This part you have to explain how one do that in Lupu.
There is no choice there on how to make a pet out of that dir.

And maybe it does on work unless I extrace the other files
but then are you sure I should delete the spotify versions of
the doublets?

right-click the .pet package to convert to (LazY Puppy) sfs. Done.

So could you give some hint on how to do this again hopefully?

RSH

#24 Post by RSH »

Hi nooby.

Copy all extracted files/directory contents into the extracted spotify directory means to copy the contents of the extracted qt directories into the extracted spotify directory (usually you'll find directories like /etc, /usr etc. inside these extracted directories.

Don't copy the extracted directories into the spotify directory.

Doesn't the lupu have a right-click option to build a .pet package? if not, it should be available in don570s right-click tools --> somewhere on the forums utility section.

You wrote: and it ask which one it should delete for to copy it over.

Which file manager do you use to copy the files?

Don't use Gnome-Commander for such actions!

Gnome-Commander removes the existing files/directories before copying!

Use ROX filemanager, ROX keeps the existing files and just adds the new ones.

---

OK. I will rebuild this one later this night and I'll upload this to my mediafire account to download.

---

For anyone else interested in this here and might have problems with remastering:

Send me the remaster script of your puppy (usually remasterpup2 in /usr/sbin) (add Info of puppy version to the your attached/sent script) and I will modify it for you to make sure, you'll have all the needed files in every remaster later made by yourself.

@DrDeaf

Please tell me the exactly version of your Fatdog64. I would like to try to put SFS P.L.U.S. manually into its main sfs and upload this one also to my mediafire account. So, you and other users could download and use this.

RSH

RSH

#25 Post by RSH »

This here is the translation of this post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 339#668339

Nooby, DrDeaf, there is some new information at the post above.

---

Hello backi.

I reply in German language, because I don't have time to think and write this in English language at the moment.

I know the program you are talking about. The SFS-Exec by seaside. I have tested it and it seems to be useful. But it has some disadvantages compared to SFS P.L.U.S.

If running a program (right-click on sfs) via sfs-exec, then exiting the program and run later again via sfs-exec will mount/open the sfs again, if it wasn't manually unmounted before that.

One more disadvantage is the use with sfs files containing several applications. Using sfs-exec on the LazY Puppy LP2_AudioStudio.sfs doesn't work, nothing happens after the right-click.

Also it is needed to have the directory of the sfs files opened in rox (which means, several directories if the sfs files aren't stored at the same place).

I currently use a LazY Puppy version sized 110mb the iso and 106mb the sfs file. I have a extension sfs file sized 14mb, so the whole system is 120mb, which is smaller than the original lucid 528-4. But it has a lot of stuff installed, which is not installed in the lucid 528-4, like: xdotool, DesignSwitcher, SoundSwitcher, BackupSettings, LazImUL and many more.

Using the extension sfs my LazY puppy version currently has 442 RunScripts of 442 Programs from 286 sfs files. Each and every single program can be executet by its menu entry (or desktop icon, if created at building the RunScript) and all without the need to use a save file.

At home I don't use a save file to 100%, except doing some special testings where it would be needed. In my drumming room I do use a LazY Puppy derivative, named Osiris Studio, which has already installed all main audio applications. On this system I do use currently a save file sized 512mb.

I surely don't want to degrade seasides work on the sfs-exec, which would be surely helpful a lot at my work to create the SFS P.L.U.S., if I would have found it earlier. But I think SFS P.L.U.S. is currently the best what Puppy Linux has to offer in case of SFS use and handling.

The above named facts should demonstrate this clearly. I'm totally sure about this ---> but we should have some attention on sunburnt's AppPkg stuff.

Also I think it is similar to LazY Puppy. It is currently one of the best puppies we do have to offer. The problem that it could not be used on every computer isn't LazY Puppy specific, it's generally Puppy Linux or maybe Linux specific - so, never mind.

To the lucky ones who can run LazY Puppy on their computers and also want to use this puppy, it is surely a Paradise Puppy - even if it doesn't come with the all newest software.

I have found in Puppy Linux (because of the lucid 528-4 by playdayz and 01micko) a lot more than I could imagine after I had to quit my search for newer software for the muppy 08.3F which I've used in 2010. I've given everything I've found and some more back to the puppy community and LazY Puppy is now my Main OS on every computer i do use.

There's only one reason for me to use windows now. This is the recording of Drum-Solos, because my video software does only work with the hardware equipment and revert. Could not be installed and used in Wine. But I do plan to do all the after recording work for a drum video using Openshot and KDenLive in LazY Puppy on my next drum video recording session. If possible, all Live in RAM, without a save file . just to point out that it would be possible.

---

So, 442 programs from 286 sfs files is surely not bad. But that's not all. The version of SFS P.L.U.S., currently running in my private version of LazY Puppy doesn't only handle everything for the use of sfs files.

It can create RunScripts for applications to install in wine. It loads wine automatically, downloads it, if not available at the local computer, executes wine, installs the install.exe (or setup.exe) and executes the installed program after ti has been installed. All from the menu, in RAM, no save file.

It can do exactly the same thing for the use with portable applications for wine (PortableApps), so, there is no need for me to use the PortableApps Starter. All from the menu... ... ...

And not to forget:

It can do exactly the same for the use of linux portable applications, which sometimes needs some stuff like python etc. All from the menu... ... ...

That's not all but should be enough for now.

RSH

EDIT:

I think, each and every .pet can be used as sfs file. If application from sfs doesn't run, but runs if installed, does mean there are one or more files that where installed and are also placed inside the sfs. These files do conflict, because to load sfs doesn't overwrite these files (installing does).

I have removed from my private version of LazY Puppy qt, sqlite, gtkmm, glibmm, goffice, mplayer and some more back ends including their front ends and do load them separately as single applications sfs files. SFS P.L.U.S. doesn't only load the sfs to run the wanted application, it loads also dependent sfs files (if defined). Example: Openshot needs python, so the LP2_Openshot131.sfs knows, that it needs the python. The RunScript checks the dependencies list of Openshot sfs and loads every sfs files which is listed in the dependencies list. The Openshot runs. Conflicting sfs files could be defined also. If so, then the RunScript gives option to unload the conflicting sfs before loading the new one.

Now, that my LazY Puppy version hasn't installed the qt, I can run and use Openshot and KDenLive - which would conflict, if they would have been installed. Both sfs files do "know" this, so their RunScripts will unload each other, if selected by the user.

nooby

#26 Post by nooby »

RSH, I apology I am a poor reader of text.
I where not aware of that one need to do a remaster
of the Lupu after installing the SFSPLUS so that explain that part.
I guess it is better I use Lazy instead then. I don't want to remaster
Lupu.

But I have this questions about SFSPLUS

Does it place the downloaded sfs files in the
Directory of the OS? Because if one lose connection
then one can not download them so would be good to
keep as many as possible always available :)

Say I have Lazy installed on
sda2 and directory lazy then it did ask if I wanted
to move it from Downloads to lazy dir.

I ask about my problem of sda2 set to read only
in the thread about Lazy instead of here.
Thanks for your patience. :)

nooby

#27 Post by nooby »

thanks for the links to
About Spotify: here is a portable linux application of Spotify (and some more):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/

But as alsways I have no idea how to get it running.
Nothing happen when one click on it. So I try to launch Lazy instead.
I am back within 10 minutes I hope.

RSH

#28 Post by RSH »

Hi nooby.

Seems to work here in build LazY Puppy 0.0.2.

After downloading rename it to Spotify-0.4.8.213 (replace the space after "Spotify" with "-", then you can run it from terminal) and make it executable (right-click and then choose permissions).

There is a message in the terminal about wine. So, it might be needed to load wine (can't tell because I can't login).

@SFS P.L.U.S.

It is needed to be able to write to the partition, LazY puppy is installed on, because each and every sfs file will download into the boot directory. So, if you have installed LazY Puppy on /mnt/sda2/lazy then the sfs do download to /mnt/sda2/lazy.

Also: sfs_load (which is used to load the sfs in command line mode) usually copies sfs files automatically to the boot partition if found and not stored at boot partition or in boot directory.

nooby

#29 Post by nooby »

Let us forget the Portable Spotify I don't want to do wine now
when we have Spotify for linux available so I followed your advice
re how to use Pemasu files but ...

Not having done any of this before I where not prepared it takes
very long time okay it is fast maybe if one knows what goes on
but I trusted it did not work but it took much longer than I expected.

So I manage to do this part.

right-click the directory to build a .pet package,

So now I do have a pet file named spotify.

But this part most likely need the SFS-PLUS thing?

right-click the .pet package to convert to (LazY Puppy) sfs. Done.

There is nothing there to do that so I have to install SFS plus then?
For to do that part? But did you not warn about not installing SFS pluse
to Lazy 003? It is already available as sfs most likely?
But then I should look for it in menu? Okay I take a look

Seems I have to set the MenuSuite password to off for advanced?
Because I don't know the password and There I have a lot of
LP2 SFS to make use of if I knew how to :)

Using the sfs pet to sfs it gives this error code

'tar -xf spotify-0.8.4.10329695.tar.gz' failed in
/root with error code 2.

I tried to take a screen shot but that one say it can not save it
to the screenshot dir at mydocuments.
So is that maybe part of the sda2 set to read only for some of the sfs?

Seems the work on pet to sfs takes so much space that it run out of space.
I have Zero memory left so that maybe explains the

/root with error code 2 So maybe one have to find another solution then?

My Net book only have 1GB and that process needed more?

Ooops am I supposed to remaster Lazy 003 before I use sfs PLUS?

Sorry I am very poor at reading much text and to remember what to do.
I drown in all the details and don't remember them.

I make a save file now so it at least remember what I done have
spent hours on it so don't want to start all over again.
I need to take a break not getting what to do makes my head aching :)

RSH

#30 Post by RSH »

Ok, nooby.

Let me tell you something.

I think the spotify thing is a bit too complicated too learn the SFS P.L.U.S. thing, because there is some more to do, which I've overseen and not mentioned in the related post.

To learn the SFS P.L.U.S. thing I will upload a .pet for you (and other users), that would work in LazY and Lucid as well.

I think this is the easiest way to come to a successful result and to let you see the possibilities of SFS P.L.U.S.

But I'm not at home at the moment and I need to use build 0.0.3, which I do not have installed here and on my usb stick.

Meanwhile you can have a look at the LazY puppy guides in the Guides menu ---> note: its not updated to 003, but might be helpful somehow.

---

Yes, if you want to use any updated version like firefox 17 instead of LazY Puppy's firefox sfs you have to make the sfs (if not already a sfs) and create the RunScript and do a remaster to keep the new RunScript inside the system (but you can use everything the same way using a save file instead of a remaster!).

OK. I'll be back here, when I'm at home.

nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

You wrote
To learn the SFS P.L.U.S. thing
I will upload a .pet for you (and other users),
that would work in LazY and Lucid as well.
Does that mean it works without having to remaster that os?

But the best thing would be if you let us download the Spotify
you already have made and that way we can test it.

Not a wine spotify I have had that for years and don't want to do wine.
I don't trust wine on a root os :)

Now I have spotify installed on both Upup Precise
and Slacko and both work very well.

Why I want Lazy is that I find your SFS PLUS very interesting
and it did work with Firefox but the version where too old
so I need to ask you. Which FF pet should I use to make a
new SFS with latest FF and use that one instead of the old FF7.

The best would be if you uploaded the FF17 sfs to the right place
so everybody could use it.

Or if you don't want to upload new versions all the time
make an easy to follow description on the first page of this thread
how one either translate an old sfs for Lupu into a LP variety
or ...

I wonder about my memory going null or zero.
What did the memory fail to be enough?

RSH

#32 Post by RSH »

Hi nooby.

Currently latest version of Firefox on the forum (Internet & Browsers) is 16.0.2! It is available as .pet and .sfs.

Runs in LazY Puppy 2.0.2 002.

I'm still not at home, but I'll be back for everything else, when I'm at home.

nooby

#33 Post by nooby »

I'm in Lazy now and used that FF 16.0.02 and created a sfs file out of it
but it failed to update to 17.02 or what the latest is so maybe some built
in difference?

What I noticed was that the memory did not suffice.
1GB of Ram is not enough it went close to only 64 mb from getting full
and that could explain why I failed with Spotify. It went over the 1GB?

So the best would be if you make a good linux version of Spotify
as the one you did for Dpup Exprimo as I remember???
and upload that sfs so it can be used by us who want to use Lazy?

23.00 here so I go to bed now.

Should I trust it is the RAM too small or should I make the save file bigger?
AFAIK you not even having a savefile means one don't use that one
for doung pet to sfs in Lazy? So my RAM is too small?

RSH

#34 Post by RSH »

OK, nooby.

I'm at home now. Currently uploading the LP2_Spotify-0.8.4.103.sfs tomy mediafire account. Might take about 30 minutes to upload ---> size is 92mb.

RSH

nooby

#35 Post by nooby »

Edit using FF 16.0.02 and have just tested Spotify and it worked good.
Seems I have started all over due to did not change the pfix=ram
so the save file with old install not loaded so I will delete it.
Thanks indeed for all your work done.

So is it me only having 1GB that makes the pet to sfs almost dying?

old text
Thanks for providing spotify sfs will be interesting to see
if I manage to get it going. Thanks for all effort
you put into Lazy

Edit Wednesday 19 PM European time.
Just to correct a misunderstanding.
It is not your SFS PLUS it fail to work in SFS-load from
the other Devs too so it is a general thing about Spotify
and that is not how it works when one do pet install only
when SFS load both in the most used SFS load and in your version
so it is specific for Spotify having processes that goes on in the background.

In Ms Win one can see that that is so in the tray. And when one click
on that icon one can stop even the processes in the background.
The sfs seems to not allow any such option to stop it.
One would need to know what the name ofthese processes are.

Nothing like it is named in the pprocess process manager.
Last edited by nooby on Wed 05 Dec 2012, 18:11, edited 4 times in total.

RSH

#36 Post by RSH »

Ok.

Here is the Spotify including the qt (opengl version): http://www.mediafire.com/?4ihmr67hs9uoaew

About applications like firefox:

I recommend to use the versions available on the forum and not to use the applications inbuilt update functions ---> I've found, they mostly fail or resulting in new issues/problems. So, if 16.0.2 is the latest on the forum, just use this and be grateful for it and to members like Tman (who builds the firefox versions for puppy).

Puppy Linux (LazY Puppy as well for sure) is not an OS to be able to run always the newest software immediately.

About the SFS P.L.U.S.:

Yes, you can use/do everything without to remaster, but using a save file can cause problems you'll never run into if you do remaster and don't use a save file.

If I do use a save file, I do it mostly for special purposes (which means, just for some applications).

But as I mentioned earlier: I don not use a save file to 100% at home and LazY Puppy is made especially for the use without a save file!

If you want to use a save file, install LazY Puppy onto a USB Stick. Then you can work using a save file and choose to shutdown without to save to the save file - if somethings going wrong while working. But this feature only works on USB Stick not on USB HD.

Please remove the wrong link to Spotify in your post above.

nooby

#37 Post by nooby »

Thanks!
Lazy with your Spotify sfs works good
I am using it now.

I need to ask you. When I have logged out of Spotify
it seems to still run because when I want to start it again
it says it is already running. Impossible to load again
Software says it needs to be unloaded first but that does
not work. Spent some 50 minutes on it now and I am lost. :)

This is much more difficult than what I expected.
There is no way to unload the Spotify sfs and I am
rather sure of that it is due to how they built Spotify
It is not expected to shut down. It is like Skype in that
the more people that used it the better it works so they
let it run in background and on MsWin one have to click
on the Symbol in the tray and tell it to quit and you could
not know that. I know too little to sugges how one deal with it.
I reboot now and see if it survives or lock forever refusing
to restart :)

Not having used Lazy and SFS before only being used to
SFS-exec I have no idea what is expected of me Sorry.
22.06 so I read your kind answer tomorrow.

Is there some way to cheat the unload manually? To force it to unload
so I can get it started again without having to reboot?

Hope more people care about to test it
and tell you result.

RSH

#38 Post by RSH »

Nooby.

As I wrote at my first try to build Spotify SFS and to run Spotify in LazY, I do not know this Program and I can't use it, because I'm not signed in, I don't want to sign in and so, I can not log in and use Spotify. So, if I can't use a program I'm surely not able to give any help to such program.

Search for a Spotify thread on the forum or open such a thread, if can not be found. Maybe any other member uses spotify and can help you.

About SFS P.L.U.S.:

As I wrote also, loading and unloading sfs using a save file can cause problems you would not run into if you don't use a save file. One is: not to unload sfs files (on some sfs files) from time to time. Usually they are gone after reboot.

Also: the Shutdown GUI gives option to unload all sfs files before reboot/shutdown (just check the check box for this). LazY Puppy next time boots up with no sfs loaded.

Please, do note my mention to the possibilities to use LazY Puppy from USB Stick at post above.

Please do read my posts carefully. I don't want to repeat replies or part of replies.

Thanks.

nooby

#39 Post by nooby »

Yes thanks I understand how it looks from your perspective.
I try to find other solutions. time to call it a day.

RSH

#40 Post by RSH »

OK, nooby.

Here are two .pet files to learn how the SFS PLUS does work.

Test1.pet contains a .desktop file and a single script. The Menu entry goes to Utility, the files are installed in /root. The script in Test1.pet executes a second script, which is placed in Test2.pet. It shows a yaf-splash with info, if the second script was not found (5 sec.).

The second script shows a yaf-splash with info, if the second script was found (5 sec.).

Do the following, after download:

1. Right-click Test2.pet and choose SFS Installer.
2. Right-click Test1.pet and choose SFS Installer.

- enter Test2.sfs (you can drag & drop) as dependent SFS to Test1.sfs when option is given.
- choose to copy the RunScript to SFS location at building the RunScript (so, you don't have to use the menu to test this here)

Move the SFS files to your boot directory. Execute the RunScript --> after it loads both of the SFS, it will show message that the second script was found.

Unload Test1.sfs - it will unload Test2.sfs as the dependent sfs as well. Make sure they are unloaded.

Do the following, now:

1. Copy both .pet into a directory (name it whatever you like)
2. Right-click the directory and choose Combine to SFS

- such directory could also contain .deb files!

It will build a single SFS from the .pet files. The RunScript should be there also because of the previous chosen option. If not, create one.

Move the SFS to the boot directory. Execute the RunScript --> after it loads the SFS, it will show message that the second script was found.

Note: Combine to SFS is LazY Puppy built in. Use LazY PaDS in other Puppies for this.
Attachments
Test2.pet
(447 Bytes) Downloaded 650 times
Test1.pet
(729 Bytes) Downloaded 641 times