Are newer Puppy releases getting slower?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
john biles

Are newer Puppy releases getting slower?

#1 Post by john biles »

I've been playing with Puppy 5.4 and while it runs on my old Hardware, I'm disappointed by it Multimedia playback.

My 667Mhz Pentium III plays AVI's and other formats just fine in Legacy OS 2 based on the Puppy 2 series.

Now on the same PC running Puppy 5.4 the easily watchable AVI's play so slowly and choppy they are impossible to watch.

I blame this on Ubuntu 12.04 not Puppy. With each new release of Ubuntu users hardware is running slower and slower. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is by far the best Ubuntu release in the last 3 years.

My question is what late release runs the fastest is it Slacko, Dpup etc what have users discovered in testing.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Maybe it's your hardware not precise. Since you have a PIII, why not look at Akita. It's based off of Puppy 4.20 and is very stable. It plays any file well.

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello bark_bark_bark,
I'm not looking for a Puppy version to play my files. Those who have tried Legacy OS want me to build it on top of the Puppy 5 Series. I don't see the point as the target user for Legacy OS runs Hardware that is over taxed using anything newer than Puppy 4.2.1 (May be?)

This post was meant to make those using the Puppy 5 Series defend its performance or at least highlight what version of the Puppy 5 Series I should be looking at to possible build a 5 Series version of Legacy OS. OH Well!

Iguleder

#4 Post by Iguleder »

That's a funny question.

Windows XP is faster than Windows 7 and Windows 3.11 starts faster than Windows 95.

If you want that speed, go for it - you'll drown in a sea of ancient, outdated software. But if you want to be able to use modern technologies (like HTML5, JavaScript, mobile devices and ... security), you'll have to keep up with new releases, which may be slower here and there because of all the extra features.

EDIT: speed is a subjective thing. One Puppy 5.x may be faster for you, but slower for others. Also, remember you'll never be able to squeeze the maximum possible performance.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

artsown has tested some pups on a Pentium 4 and found Wary and Slacko faster than Precise and Racy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82556

Maybe Slackware has less of a problem keeping the system fast?

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Hello Iguleder,
I fully understand that no one can expect old Hardware to be fully usable in a modern environment. I see a PC as more than just a tool to connect on line. I want to be able to watch a movie or do some graphical work, write a letter and listen to music to name just some of the tasks.

Feedback from others get you thinking about things you might not have considered. I think it's important to get feedback good and bad.

Hello darkcity,
Thanks for the link. Slackware based Distro's have always run a bit faster than others so your finding don't surprise me. I think this may be the way to go.

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Hello john biles

Slacko-531 with k2.6.37.6 would likely be a very good base.

Being based on slackware-13.37 binaries is still a good thing because support for those packages is likely to last another year or so at the slackware end.

Also, I know you like KDE 3. Iguleder built the Trinity SFS that runs well on 531. It's small too.

I would recommend you give that version a spin on your P3 and see how it performs. It went well on my P3 coppermine before it ascended..

If you like I can do a rebuild with the latest features from woof. It wont be an "official" build or anything but provide you with a current base and latest bug fixes. I'll leave that up to you if you decide you like 531.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#8 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Slacko-531 with k2.6.37.6 would likely be a very good base.
< snip>
If you like I can do a rebuild with the latest features from woof. It wont be an "official" build or anything but provide you with a current base and latest bug fixes. I'll leave that up to you if you decide you like 531.
I would like it! :wink:

The kernel is not important to me but the latest woof is.
Actually is not a bad idea to have the kernel (and X?) in the zdrv (or the initrd :wink: ) by default so you can easily expand the range of hardware that each puppy can reach.
These changes usually do not affect most of the userspace apps.
Jemimah's adrive builder should have the code to easily do it without "rewoofing".
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==