How do I find 'menu.lst'?

Booting, installing, newbie
parcdulas

How do I find 'menu.lst'?

#1 Post by parcdulas »

I have done a full install of puppy 5.4.1 to the hard disk in an ancient laptop (Toshiba satellite pro 4200) and 'New Grub Text' has opened with some text to insert in 'menu.lst' but I don't know how to find menu.lst. Please help.

parcdulas

#2 Post by parcdulas »

I exited the file (New Grub Text) and a message came up to say ther was no need to add the text.

I rebooted the computer to make sure that it could now boot from the hard disk and got the following message:

Code: Select all

GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading please wait

Error 15
and the laptop hung up so something is wrong in the way I did the install.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Boot off your Live CD again. Go to the System menu and run Grub4Dos Bootloader Config. It will set up GRUB for you.

parcdulas

#4 Post by parcdulas »

Thanks,

Ran 'Grub4DOS config' and it has written a Grub loader that offers:

Windows
Advanced Menu

As there is no windows on the hard disk I picked 'Advanced menu' and one of the options this gave was something like ' unknown executable' so it would appear that my attempts to install have failed to write PUPPY properly.. As clicking 'BROWSE' on the desktop causes the CD drive to run virtually continuously does this mean that Puppy 5.4.1 will not run on my hardware or that the ISO on the CD is corrupt?

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go here and get the one-click installer.

parcdulas

#6 Post by parcdulas »

Thanks,

I tried one more time and for some reason it all seemed to work this time!

I now have a working Puppy 541 on my hard drive. I now have to try out the variuos functions (Browser etc) to see if all is OK. Is it worth trying with the new 5.4.2 or should I leave it alone?

If I have any more trouble I'll definitely down load your script file.

Thanks again!

parcdulas

#7 Post by parcdulas »

Well, things are working but very very slowly! To load up the first sign of Sea Monkey browser took 4 minutes with another 4 until it was sort of functional. (The hard disk being accessed all of the time) I suppose that is because there is only 64MB of Ram so the swap file is providing all the extra needed. The laptop is so old that it can only have an extra 48 MB RAM I believe and that at a silly price.

It seems I need an OS that is not so hungry for RAM

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

parcdulas wrote: I suppose that is because there is only 64MB of Ram so the swap file is providing all the extra needed. ...It seems I need an OS that is not so hungry for RAM
Five years ago, 64 MB was considered low-memory for Puppy. You should look at some old versions from here.