ArchPup - Puppy based on Arch Linux

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

#61 Post by simargl »

@anikin: Ok, I will update first page regarding this issue, might help someone. Thanks.

@oui: You have mplayer and mplayer2 in arch's repo.
mplayer2 package is less than 1MB but it needs ffmpeg,
and to watch or download youtube videos there's minitube.

Regards

T_Hobbit

#62 Post by T_Hobbit »

Amazing work!
With wifi manager inside... Now you really did it!

Don't run away please, and keep this up to date, and I'll be you fan for long!
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

slenkar

#63 Post by slenkar »

anikin wrote: Regarding the save file - it does not work here even after reboot. During shutdown I can see some text saying that 'save config can't be found in usr/sbin or usr/bin', or something similar.
use thunar file manager to access the place where you want it saved, make sure its not in the local file system, make sure its somewhere that has to be mounted like sda6 for example.

Thunar will mount the save file location, then simply press save and it will create a folder called archpup

James C

#64 Post by James C »

Did a frugal install on my old Athlon XP box...... no problem creating save file....actually no real problems at all. Internet,sound and display all working and correct on initial boot. Will do more testing when some free time magically appears.
Good start. :)

slenkar

#65 Post by slenkar »

has anyone installed anything from the AUR?

simargl

#66 Post by simargl »

Some instructions for using AUR and packer... :)

1. Go to https://aur.archlinux.org/, search for packer and download tarball
2. Extract packer.tar.gz, open PKGBUILD and add 'ca-certificates' to depends list.
3. Open terminal in same folder where u saved PKGBUILD. Type makepkg -sic --asroot.
4. After packer is installed you can browse and install packages from AUR.
5. For example search with: packer -Ss leafpad
6. compile and install package directly from AUR: packer -S leafpad-noheader

oui

#67 Post by oui »

Hi

the new version .1 works real better on my PC than the first one.

but I constate a unfriendly difference with puppy:

Puppy finds and mount automatic /mnt/home or /initrd/mnt/dev_save or /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 (a bit chaotic, I know!) depending of the puplet.

important is that the partition in which the puplet is logged in is directly already mounted and named with a symbolic address being valid on all PC's using the puplet, so that you can send your puplet to an other puppy user or upload it and it works!

as years and years ago this works without to need to search a solution, I am not experimented in that :wink: . how to realize it in ArchPup 1204?

kind regards

T_Hobbit

#68 Post by T_Hobbit »

Pwireless problem:
I select my wifi network, when I press connect nothing happens, no WPA2 key asked, and no connection establisehd.
Tried with a WPA and WEP networks - no luck. I only have wired lan.
I'm working with an Acer Aspire One with atheros AR5BXB63 card. Usually ath5k driver works.

PS: please rename zip file as txt file - forum doesn't allow txt files
Attachments
txt.zip
txt renamed as zip - Pwireless2 output from terminal
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

simargl

#69 Post by simargl »

Hi T_Hobbit,

It's been reported by mavrothal, see here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 153#668153

Looks like it's problem with udev, but since I dont own wireless can't check that myself.

So mavrothal if you see this please open file: /var/lib/spkg/installed/udev/def.

and check if there is something wrong with configure options or some udev.rules are missing? :?

Would really like to fix this...

mavrothal

#70 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:Hi T_Hobbit,

It's been reported by mavrothal, see here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 153#668153

Looks like it's problem with udev, but since I dont own wireless can't check that myself.

So mavrothal if you see this please open file: /var/lib/spkg/installed/udev/def.

and check if there is something wrong with configure options or some udev.rules are missing? :?

Would really like to fix this...
T_Hobbit's issue appears to be with Pwireless/WPA supplicant rather than kernel module/firmware as mine was (dmesg might also be helpfull here).

In any case, udev compile configuration-wise, just drop "--disable-extras" (add "--enable-extras"). Actually since all devices are generated dinamically extras improved acuuracy of the process.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

starlyte

ArchPup - my dream come true

#71 Post by starlyte »

:D I've wanted an Arch based Puppy for ages, but I just haven't found the time to attack the making, myself. :oops:
So a big thankyou for this ArchPup,, which I've just finished downloading, and I'm longing to try it out. Arch is a super distro, but as I'm a Puppy Addict it's the perfect solution for me. With pacman the prospects are without limit, and it's my dream Puppy that you've created.
Sincerely you have my greatest, and humble THANKS! :D

slenkar

#72 Post by slenkar »

simargl wrote:Some instructions for using AUR and packer... :)

1. Go to https://aur.archlinux.org/, search for packer and download tarball
2. Extract packer.tar.gz, open PKGBUILD and add 'ca-certificates' to depends list.
3. Open terminal in same folder where u saved PKGBUILD. Type makepkg -sic --asroot.
4. After packer is installed you can browse and install packages from AUR.
5. For example search with: packer -Ss leafpad
6. compile and install package directly from AUR: packer -S leafpad-noheader
thanks this sounds good

anikin

#73 Post by anikin »

slenkar wrote:Thunar will mount the save file location, then simply press save and it will create a folder called archpup
It's not that I can't ctreate the save file. My issue is that the save file doesn't get picked up during boot time. As if it's not there, but it IS there. Tried to place it in the same directory, outside, another partition, different boot parameters - no joy. The system defiantly and contemptuosly refuses to see it. Can it be because the SD card I'm running it from is formatted as fat32 - but then I have seven other puppies on it, that run without a hitch?

slenkar

#74 Post by slenkar »

anikin wrote:
slenkar wrote:Thunar will mount the save file location, then simply press save and it will create a folder called archpup
It's not that I can't ctreate the save file. My issue is that the save file doesn't get picked up during boot time. As if it's not there, but it IS there. Tried to place it in the same directory, outside, another partition, different boot parameters - no joy. The system defiantly and contemptuosly refuses to see it. Can it be because the SD card I'm running it from is formatted as fat32 - but then I have seven other puppies on it, that run without a hitch?
hmm I dont know if it looks on any SD cards, its not like other puppies

slenkar

#75 Post by slenkar »

I got this error message when installing packer:
==> Starting build()...
==> Connecting to github GIT server....
Cloning into 'packer'...
error: error setting certificate verify locations:
CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
CApath: none
while accessing https://github.com/keenerd/packer.git/info/refs
fatal: HTTP request failed
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...

How do I switch the clock to Eastern Time?

cinclus_cinclus

Black screen with Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G45

#76 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

I get only a black screen when booting into my Intel G45 based system. (No problems with my NC10 netbook.)

Booting into a console isn't possible as well.

Archpup 1204 doesn't seem to accept any kernel boot parameters like pfix=nox or xorg=vesa ...

Any help highly appreciated.

oui

what is ArchPup1204

#77 Post by oui »

Hi

I did experiment today with ArchPup as the weather was to bad to do something else.

Mozilla:

There is no Mozilla included.

I did never use some *.pet or *.sfs from Puppy for Mozilla :lol: . It is completely silly dilly as with one hit on the package directly downloaded from Mozilla, you get a lib directory with all what you need and really actual (ok, you need perhaps some dependencies depending from Puplet...).

There is no need to include it into the puplet by real installation: It is really as well outside directly in the home partition! and it works very well so.

For that, you need only a link in /usr/lib to the directory of your lovely mozilla in the partition and a link in /usr/bin to the precedent link in the /usr/lib with the completed path to the starting module:

# ln -s /mnt/home/.../seamonkey /usr/lib/seamonkey
# ln -s /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/firefox (yes firefox, as it is already existing in the menu as entry "browser")

and, as I suppose that ArchPup-1204 ignore the usual puppy home dir, I did add a dir

# mkdir /mnt/home into the file system as well as a command

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/home

into /root/.start so that the dir "home" is immediately already at starting time.

It is useful to complete the downloaded and unpacked Mozilla with a subdir .../plugins and to add in it an flashplayer.so from an other Puppy you are using

as well as a subdir /dictionnaries if you are using some ones (you need pairs of files as en-GB.aff + en-GB.dic).

probably it would be possible to do the same with /adblocplus (being to find in a /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/pipapo123.default/addblockplus) but I did not test that until yet.

(the objective is that you save file or, if you work as I completely without save file, the time to create and populate /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/pipapo123.default/ , has to be small!)

add packages from Arch

In my opinion, it is the last thing to do :roll: !

why?

because:

SFS-Load on the fly

- works really very well
- supports till 20 SFS (very different from other Puppy's with only 6)

also why fatten my smart Puplet with things if I don't need them permanently :wink: ?

I am sorry, but I don't like the place of the entry for "SFS-Load on the fly" in the menu in a submenu of submenu! It would be really better to use a permanet icon in the task bar on the sound mixer icon for example, as it is an essential function in a base-only-Puppy able to manage perfectly as much SFS's!! And I don't like the tons of little windows opening why I don't use some save file etc. I know what I do and don't need permanently a controller or employee to remember me what I do! It costs my time to answer such silly dilly messages and I don't like that... sorry, it is my opinion! a fluid work processing is not possible under such disturbing activity for nothing. ideal would be a/ I hit on an icon in the task bar, b/ I select a SFS, c/ I enter return, finish!
and to unload a SFS I would use the menu...

next problem is that a lot of available *.sfs packages already existing needs other dependencies OR, and that is very vicious in Linux, REQUIRE EXISTING lib's UNDER AN OTHER NAME :oops: ...

so we can only do a thing: announce in a separate thread tested SFS packages already tested and the url where they are offered to download. I did test today a lot of the big quantity of SFS being offered by Lazy Puppy (a really superb collection on a fast server), but rare are the SFS starting well - Firefox does it, LP2-LibreOffice331.sfs does it also (but requires 4 times java, that is not really needed for all operations... a bad heritage from the dependence from SUN :cry: ! it is really unpleasant!) etc.

I miss of course mTpaint as well as divers very small goodies, beeing permanently available (especially didiwiki as it is a real extrem small to elaborate smart texts for the own use)

and, very important, a package to print, scan and OCR texts! I don't need them each day as the modern kind of live is more email and sms oriented, but often. it is no reason to install them permanently and fatten so the ideal small Puplet! a office helping SFS would be very well with cups gutenprint, xsane and gocr! but a Linux without printing support is a poor Linux...

what are you thinking about the best ways to fatten this elegant and smart Puppy without to make it unnecessary fat?

kind regards

oui

Re: Black screen with Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G45

#78 Post by oui »

Hi
cinclus_cinclus wrote:Booting into a console isn't possible as well.
as this Puppy starts very fast, you can return to one of the consoles as usual by hitting on Ctrl+Alt+F2 .. F6. But Arch requires a password in the other consoles!

It seems you can (perhaps) continue Ctrl+Alt+F1 and continue your process passwordfree in the first console!

Kind regards

stifiling

#79 Post by stifiling »

Is everyone testing using ethernet/wired connections? my wifi isn't working on any of my computer's due to the fact that the firmware isn't loading.

I tried switching the kernel and got wlan0 to finally show up....but, dhcpcd gets frozen when requesting an ip address from the router.

Anyone have any knowledge of getting 'basic' wireless working?

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

stifiling wrote:Anyone have any knowledge of getting 'basic' wireless working?
How to get the wifi going via cli depends on whether you are using WEP, WPA etc (they need different methods to set up the connection) and also depending on how the puppy is set up (where wpa_supplicant and other files are found etc...). Also, it depends on your hardware as some wifi interfaces might still show up as eth1, and some as Wlan0 etc.

Tempestuous has a whole topic on programming wifi via cli here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

Here is an example that I found useful when setting up a WPA connection in a different Puppy (Haven't tried this with ArchPup yet as my wifi card firmware is not loading):

Step 1) Create a new /etc/wpa_supplicant file containing the following:
(altering the relevant details to match your wifi network)

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
   id_str="some name to identify the connection you are creating"
   ssid="the SSID name of your router"
   psk="the shared key password for your router"
   proto=WPA
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwise=TKIP
   group=TKIP
   priority=1
} 
Step 2) In a terminal enter the following:
ifconfig eth1 up
then:
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
(this will then connect but the terminal will appear to hang. Open a new terminal and continue...)

Step 3) dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
(the puppypc12345 is the hostname, which should be made unique so each PC stays separately identified)

Step 4) type: ifconfig and check that IP has been correctly assigned

So, after I've created the wpa_supplicant file, all I need to do is run a script like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth1 up
sleep 10
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
sleep 40
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
(I probably didn't need such a long sleep before the dhcpcd request though)
Last edited by greengeek on Tue 04 Dec 2012, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.