How to protect encrypted folders in Puppy Linux?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
umair

How to protect encrypted folders in Puppy Linux?

#1 Post by umair »

Refer to the .pet of folderenc (Folder Encryption), Is there is any way to protect the folder/directory so no one can delete the folder/directory without a password or something else. I used folderenc, really liked it. works nicely but being a root on puppy linux, any one can delete the encrypted folder.
If any body have an idea or a link so please share.
UMAIR

vovchik

#2 Post by vovchik »

use this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattr
even root cannot change it.

With kind regards,
vovchik

umair

#3 Post by umair »

vovchik wrote:use this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattr
even root cannot change it.

With kind regards,
vovchik
hi vovchik:
Thnx for reply.
I want to clear that I am using FRUGAL installation. So getting this error:
"chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on new2.txt".
Also I want to know that is there is any way where we can restricts the user to delete the encrypted folders (which we encrypted using folder enc or any other tool). ?
Hope u will get my point.
Regards
UMAIR

vovchik

#4 Post by vovchik »

I am using chattr on a real HD install, but I think it should work in any case, whether frugal or full HD. I use the +i and -i flags do enable locking and to disable. In my case I use it for the file /etc/resolv.conf, which my router wants to change with each login, but I want it to stay the same and use my own DNS resolvers.

With kind regards,
vovchik

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Umair, if you're sharing a computer there's really no way to insure that no one else can mess with anything on the hard disk. The only real solution is to save the folder/directory on removable media such as a CD, DVD or USB flash drive. That way, you can remove the media when you're done and keep it in a safe place. It's more inconvenient, but it's the only sure way. Puppy will happily oblige. :)

umair

#6 Post by umair »

Flash wrote:Umair, if you're sharing a computer there's really no way to insure that no one else can mess with anything on the hard disk. The only real solution is to save the folder/directory on removable media such as a CD, DVD or USB flash drive. That way, you can remove the media when you're done and keep it in a safe place. It's more inconvenient, but it's the only sure way. Puppy will happily oblige. :)
hi flash:
Thnx for reply. I got your point, Can U tell me how to make a self extracted compress file with password?
Regards
UMAIR

Barkin

#7 Post by Barkin »

umair wrote:... Can U tell me how to make a self extracted compress file with password?
There is such a thing as a "self extracting" encrypted file : where the file contains the program required to decrypt it : so the recipient of the file does not have to have decryption software installed on their computer.

Now the bad news, such files are OS specific and I've only ever seen ones which run on Windows (they are .exe files).

A regular (not self-extracting) encrypted password- protected file may be sufficient , e.g. an encrypted 7z format file which can be read on Linux or Windows machines if they have the decryption software installed, e.g. programs such as 7-zip or Peazip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peazip
Attachments
''self extracting'' is a Windows thing.gif
the "self extracting" process is OS specific, I've only ever seen it available for Windows (.exe files)
(11.77 KiB) Downloaded 1105 times

umair

#8 Post by umair »

Barkin wrote: There is such a thing as a "self extracting" encrypted file : where the file contains the program required to decrypt it : so the recipient of the file does not have to have decryption software installed on their computer.

Now the bad news, such files are OS specific and I've only ever seen ones which run on Windows (they are .exe files).

A regular (not self-extracting) encrypted password- protected file may be sufficient , e.g. an encrypted 7z format file which can be read on Linux or Windows machines if they have the decryption software installed, e.g. programs such as 7-zip or Peazip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peazip
Hi Barkin:
Thnx for reply:
Currently I m happy with jamesbond's and smokey01's folder encryption, As I mentioned in 1st post that I was looking for a for a folder/directory protection so no one can delete it (beaing a root too). I think its not possible in puppy linux (May be I am wrong).
Regards
UMAIR

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

My point was that it's not possible in any operating system to guarantee that a folder on a shared storage medium cannot be deleted by anyone with access to the computer.

It should be possible to have an encrypted folder on a CD or DVD that can be decrypted independently of the operating system that happens to be on the computer: just boot Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD and put the folder on the same CD or DVD. I haven't done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You may also be able to boot Puppy from a USB flash drive, with an encrypted folder on the same flash drive.

However, I don't see much point in encrypting the contents of removable medium. The whole point of encryption is access control, and if you can remove the storage medium, just hide it or keep it on your person.

Barkin

#10 Post by Barkin »

Flash wrote:However, I don't see much point in encrypting the contents of removable medium. The whole point of encryption is access control, and if you can remove the storage medium, just hide it or keep it on your person.

There is an even better argument for encrypting removable media, like memory sticks, than encrypting the computer, as the memory stick is more likely to fall into the hands of strangers, (e.g. when I accidentally leave it stuck in a computer in a cybercafe).

Truecryptcan do "whole drive" encryption, (rather than individual files & folders).

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

I don't think it meets Umair's specs but, for reference point thought i'd mention that makeself v2.1.5 can create encrypted self-extracting archives.

umair

#12 Post by umair »

thnx for reply Guys.
I will check the true crypt (never used before), I think it has many features for encryption.
Once again thank you.
Regards
UMAIR