Upup Precise 54X7 using latest woof at time

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#61 Post by pemasu »

AudioVideo worked for me with Imagination. There was though problem to update menu. fixmenus && jwm -reload didnt make it to show. But restart X did.
Hmm.....I thought that bug was fixed. Lets see how it goes with other pets.

don570

#62 Post by don570 »

I should try adding a pinstall.sh file to pet package

with commands like

fixmenus
jwm -reload
jwm -restart

and see if that helps.....

sszindian

T22 IBM Thinkpad

#63 Post by sszindian »

New testing Upup_Precise-5.4.X.4:

Equipment:
IBM T22 Thinkpad
256MB RAM
20GB HDD

FIRST Test:
Live CD:
Results: 5.4.X.4 loaded and ran without any problems however as with previous version, CD could not be removed during run-time.

Did a Frugal Install, everything loaded-saved like it should. CD is now open to use for data, graphic etc., files. 'Nice' - Grub4DOS was the only version that set boot-load from the Grub menu up properly... regular GRUB couldn't cut it!

Everything tested in 5.4.X.4 ran without a single issue so far and it is a very pleasing addition to this OLD Thinkpad. I have an Exprimo-5.X.2.9 that runs also very nice (Live CD only with a savefile to HDD) on this machine but could not get versions beyond that to work?

I highly recommend 5.4.X.4 for old machines with at least the (mentioned above) configuration of my IBM T22... could be that lesser configurations will also work... be interesting to hear!

rcrsn51... Many a time you have saved my skin on this forum but on your statement that old puppy's are for older computers, I have to totally disagree as I see what has happened here with a T22 and Upup-Precise. :wink:

'As always... Nice piece of work pemasu'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rcrsn51

Re: T22 IBM Thinkpad

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:rcrsn51... Many a time you have saved my skin on this forum but on your statement that old puppy's are for older computers, I have to totally disagree as I see what has happened here with a T22 and Upup-Precise
Umm.... My comment was in reference to your complaints about running off the Live CD on low-memory machines. Once you do an install and get to a "pfix=nocopy" environment, the situation changes, of course.

charlie6

#65 Post by charlie6 »

...@>>-----sszindian----->
Hugh sszindian,
if i good remember (see Slacko story from beginning) you'd be one of those (...happy?) Brookdale 82845G video chip featured PC user ...would'nt you ?
If the case, welcome to the club! :wink:
just to report that 54X4 (currently X version 1.11.3 + intel driver version 2.17.0) works OOTB without X black screen at X restart on such machine .
Also Exprimo runs nice after done an intel_drv.so rollback to version 2.11.0...see here or disregard if irrelevant
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 116#647116
<---have fun---<< :D
Cheers, Charlie

pemasu

#66 Post by pemasu »

Upup Precise is slightly bigger than official Precise Puppy. The big size of Precise Puppy is partly due to hard work to get graphics working. It has needed more graphics stuff in the build.
Also dri drivers has been included, flash has been included, python has been preincluded.
All of those makes the the official build bigger.
Rewoofing or remastering or just unsquashing the sfs and removing by hand /usr/lib/dri/*, python stuff and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so you can get smaller iso. Removing Seamonkey helps also.
Happy tinkering.

My usual bug fix testing method is unsquashfsing, manual replacing and then mksquahsfsing the sfs again. Rewoofing takes much longer than that manual replacing.

I am not sure if it is enough for 256 Mb ram to be loaded to the ram when booting with Live CD. With Lucid Puppy the iso size limit was about 125 Mb.

Billtoo

Upup Precise 54X4 using latest woof

#67 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive.

Report Video 1.4 - Thu 29 Nov 2012 on Upup Precise 5.4.X.4 - Linux 3.2.29 i686
Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver used: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

I installed vlc and kdegames from ppm, it's working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(40.48 KiB) Downloaded 889 times

tallboy

#68 Post by tallboy »

Hi pemasu.
I have a little problem that also may affect other users, and need to be fixed. I have an old P4 1.6GHz linuxbox, with a 21" Sony Multiscan 500 PS monitor, powered by a nvidia GeForce2 MX200 graphic card.

When Precise 54x4 first boots into X, it has a resolution 640x480, and the wizard window that pops up lets me change that to 1280x1024, which is the resolution I prefer. After restart of X, the resolution is still 640x480, indicating that the 'noveou' graphic driver is no good for me.

The problem is, that the dialog window made to change the graphic driver (and most other dialog windows too - including the shutdown window), are too big for the screen's 640x480 resolution, and the windows themselves cannot be resized. All the buttons are placed out of reach, along the bottom edge, so I cannot use them.

Is it possible to give the dialog windows a dynamic size behaviour?

Alternatively, is it possible to include some more graphic drivers in the Precise 54x4?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Geoffrey

#69 Post by Geoffrey »

pemasu wrote:AudioVideo worked for me with Imagination. There was though problem to update menu. fixmenus && jwm -reload didnt make it to show. But restart X did.
Hmm.....I thought that bug was fixed. Lets see how it goes with other pets.
Does this command fix the menu without restarting x

Code: Select all

touch --no-create /usr/share/applications/
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

sszindian

None

#70 Post by sszindian »

rcrsn51 wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------
Umm.... My comment was in reference to your complaints about running off the Live CD on low-memory machines. Once you do an install and get to a "pfix=nocopy" environment, the situation changes, of course.

Yes... just funning a little... hey, none of us ever meet each other, if we can't have a little clean fun here, what's the forum worth. Yea know, the rest of the world thinks we're totally nuts anyway, I mean like I have enough puppy only CD's to shingle a house... maybe more. :D :D :D

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#71 Post by pemasu »

I will leave tomorrow to the Lapland Saariselka with our ski club for a week. This is eight time I organize ski camp there. I suppose I have possibility to follow posts that time with my android, but probably I wont reply much. When I come back, I believe I create next Upup Precise build. Barry Kauler has pinned down several PPM bugs and he will create soon updated Precise Puppy.
Attachments
Saariselka.jpeg
(59.85 KiB) Downloaded 799 times

sszindian

Desktop

#72 Post by sszindian »

And Upup Precise 5.4.X.4 on my desktop:

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 765MB (261MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 29 Nov 2012 10:53:40 AM EST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
2.4G Wireless Mouse

-Printers (CUPS)-
HP_Deskjet_1050_J410_series_USB_CN0AG3H19V05HW_HPLIP
Precise 5.4.X.4 so far has been the ONLY puppy version that will run some special video-sites I constantly view on gold prospecting 'WITHOUT ALL THAT BUFFERING.' It is a real pleasure to watch these as they were meant to be!!!

Overall: ALL the program apps (that I use) work without fault and fast, very pleased!

Question?: Are there going to be 'package updates' (like BK has for his Precise 4.1.1) to just add to existing Precise 5.4.X.4 or will install of complete new versions be required to upgrade?

>>>---Indian------>

PFan

#73 Post by PFan »

Pemasu,
Beautiful picture there, and beautiful Upup here. Enjoy your ski time, and be safe.

pemasu

#74 Post by pemasu »

sszindian. Upup Precise 54X4 has about all updates through woof which Barry provided with his Service Pack. I am not so keen on those Service Packs. I had in Dpup Update menu tab, but I seldomly used it. Mostly it is question of time. You do one kind of update and then check what should be in Service Pack for older version. Usually those updates are difficult to maintain for example for builds which are several releases old. I am not very enthusiathic to keep track on what went to what build. And since I use woof, it is even harder to keep track what Barry provided. You have to review every woof commit.

And....then I would need to get PPM see my Service Pack updates. Hacking PPM is not my favourite job....since I want nowadays to keep it in sync with woof.

So...updating the puplet is much easier to keep the build in sync with Barrys work.

backi

#75 Post by backi »

Hi everyone !

Upup on Toshiba 3000 Satellite idle .

Light as a feather !!

Dreaming of version with E17 Enlightenment desktop .
Attachments
capture21043.png
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 656 times

backi

#76 Post by backi »

Hey you all !

Testing Dvdauthoring Tools .

Want to report ......" Pdvdrsab DVD rip/shrink/author/burn "
seems not start/working in this puppy .

pemasu

#77 Post by pemasu »

Testing android cellphone. Attached pic taken with it. Saariselkä kiilopää. -10 celcius. Light is bit low so the pic would have needed some levels tuning

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

I have now woofed new build. It has all the fixes through woof. I think there are several important fixes concerning PPM and .deb installations.

I have also incorporated rerwin`s new Frisbee work. It uses now same network framework as sns, no need for duplicate dhcpcd. Switching between sns and Frisbee seems to work quite good. So it is time to test it in build. Thank you rerwin - Peebee and thunor of your work with Frisbee.

I suppose I have tomorrow time to upload this build. I will test it somewhat first. Ffconvert - Pmusic - Pburn - Aqualung - rox right clicks have been updated also. Gtkdialog has been updated due to problems with the version I had.
Iso size about 168 Mb.

666philb

#79 Post by 666philb »

hi pemasu,

i have a dvbusb that requires the rtl283u driver, .. it works fine on lucid but the driver won't compile in precise due to the kernel version.

i've found a patched version of the driver that's supposed to work on 3+kernels, but i can't get it to compile on precise.

i was following the instructions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1905057 (i made a symlink from /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-headers..blah..blah) but the build fails

any ideas?

cheers
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

any ideas?
Yes. It wont compile.
There isnt any easy solution yet. Check my dpup exprimo thread with 3.6.2 kernel. I really have tried to get that chip working.

Start to read from this post and several posts after that. You see all the trials I have done.
I will wait until 3.8 kernel before I try again. Sorry.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 781#658781

Or...if you want to update the dvb stuff to the very latest ones, here the link how to do it.
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_t ... ce_Drivers

I still couldnt get it to work with the latest kernel driver modules. It was nice practice though.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 921#658921