Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 13:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 46 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
ally

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 16:31    Post subject:  

music playing nicely from dell desktop via pmusic (thanks sigmund)

have noticed a typo in ffconvert, says 'souce' instead of source

both t61 and desktop running nicely

Smile

Last edited by ally on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 17:15; edited 1 time in total
James C

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 17:03    Post subject:  

Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. Smile
Slacko 5.3.9.5.png
 Description   
 Filesize   183.13 KB
 Viewed   939 Time(s)

Slacko 5.3.9.5.png

01micko

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 18:49    Post subject: Re: Language pack for Slacko
Subject description: Adds extra menu entries

L18L wrote:

maybe should be:
#jwm_UtilityUtilities =""

Thanks, fixed

ETP wrote:
Having completed the first-run screens I opted to reboot in order to create a savefile before proceeding further. No sizes were offered then the screen below appeared..

Can you reproduce this? If so can you provide exact steps so I can see what goes wrong. Include what media and filesystem you want to save to, size of partition, your boot media and anything else you think relevant.
If you can reproduce this then it would have occurred in beta4 and RC1 as the only change to the shut down routine is the NTFS bugfix since November 12.

Anyone else see this?

If I hear nothing in the next 24 hrs regarding this issue, I'll add shinobar's pupsaveconfig to the repo as a possible work around with an advisory in the release notes.

-

Some notes on installation:

There are about say a thousand [?] ways to install puppy.

If you boot from a subfolder it will save to that subfolder. If you use PUI to create a frugal to HDD it will create a subfolder. I think it's still possible to save up to 3 levels deep but this is not advised. Tweaking the kernel line of your boot loader config may be necessary (menu.lst in most cases).

If you boot from CD it will save to the top level.

You can use PUI to create an USB install and it will save to the top level. For multiple pups on an USB you can manually create the stick with subfolders and use ETP's tut to boot with syslinux or other tuts using grub4dos on the stick. I believe grub2, lilo and grub legacy can work too, and of course if you format to ext2/3/4 extlinux (still part of syslinux).

Save files can be moved around as long as puppy knows where to find it, specified in your bootloader config.

01micko

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 19:33    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. Smile

CatDude compiled conky 1.9 plus LUA and imlib2 and it is included in the PPM, just FYI.

James C

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 19:58    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
James C wrote:

CatDude compiled conky 1.9 plus LUA and imlib2 and it is included in the PPM, just FYI.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Guess I probably should explore the PPM once in a while..... Laughing
ally

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2012, 20:23    Post subject:  

update

started having a huge go slow (30 secs from click to open) so have done a clean install or freshly formatted (ext2) partition

frugal installed to a file folder so the previous issue must have been driver (user) error

having a slight issue with yassm'ing to one machine, can go from music server to laptop but not laptop to music server - getting tired now so will try again tomorrow

new install seems snappy again, if it has another go slow will try non-pae as the 5.3.3 pae used to cause me trouble

no other issues found

Smile

Last edited by ally on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:03; edited 1 time in total
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 01:36    Post subject:  

Hi Mick,
RC2 looks good and had not problems with all kind of my "funny" savefile settings. A more "modern" savefile dialog though would be nice Wink

Any chance of providing a webcam app pet other than Pavrecord? In contrast to Ubuntu, Slackware guvcview or wxcam pull 60MB of dependencies... Sad

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 01:43    Post subject:  

Hi mavrothal

guvcview is compiled and already in the slacko14 repo Wink . It pulls quite a few deps but not 60M I don't think..

As said, I'll add shino's pupsaveconfig to the repo.

How did you get on with sound?

mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 01:58    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Hi mavrothal

guvcview is compiled and already in the slacko14 repo Wink . It pulls quite a few deps but not 60M I don't think..

65MB actually and is the same from the puppy-slacko or the slackware repo. It pulls the entire Gtk3 stack and not just libgtk3.

01micko wrote:
How did you get on with sound?

Dropped the full udev and used an old power management and keys implementation from XOpup-2.1! (does not support wake from external keyboard/mouse)

ETP

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 05:46    Post subject: Testing slacko-5.3.9.5-opera-4g.iso (md5-o/k USB boot)  

01micko,

With regard to my previous post I normally do a frugal manual install to a USB stick and then subsequently transfer the main sfs & savefile to my hard drive. The kernel I leave on the USB and change my boot codes accordingly.
On this occasion however, I intended to put the savefile on the SSD from the outset and was only using a 16 Meg partition on the USB stick the remainder being unformatted. The main sfs therefore was already located on the SSD. My syslinux boot codes were therefore as follows:

Code:
LABEL 5395HD
MENU LABEL Slacko 5395  HD   01/12/12
KERNEL /p5395/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p5395/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p5395/puppy_slacko_5.3.9.5.sfs pdev1=sda1

I thought at first that I may have shot myself in the paw by not giving the first shutdown procedure the option to offer to save to the USB there being insufficient space to do so. This was not the case however, as I had in effect restricted puppy’s options with the boot codes. The problem was that the first shutdown procedure was not mounting sda1.

Provided I mounted sda1 prior to running first shutdown everything behaved as it should with a choice of savefile sizes being offered but no choice of save drive due to my restrictive boot codes. In conclusion I did shoot myself in the paw but not in the way I first suspected!
Please accept my apology for raising a false alarm.
screenshot.20.png
 Description   
 Filesize   42.46 KB
 Viewed   772 Time(s)

screenshot.20.png

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 06:17    Post subject:  

ETP

Thanks for the explanation Smile . I already added shino's pupsaveconfig to the repo anyway. It is useful in some abnormal cases where there is a failure of the standard tools. No problem.

-

mavrothal..

I have compiled luvcview, got the sources from ubuntu Precise repos, it's totally at the opposite end of the scale as webcam apps go.. requires only Sdl, which we have anyway. It is known not to work on some webcams so YMMV. Working ok here, recording and snapshot tested. There is no audio facility though. I'll upload to the repo at any rate, someone might like a very simple webcam app.
luvcview-0.2.6-i486-s.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  luvcview-0.2.6-i486-s.pet 
Filesize  45.91 KB 
Downloaded  243 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 07:26    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:

mavrothal..

I have compiled luvcview, got the sources from ubuntu Precise repos, it's totally at the opposite end of the scale as webcam apps go.. requires only Sdl, which we have anyway.

luvcview never worked for me and this one is no exception Sad

Tried to see what is the minimum of gtk3 that guvcview does need, but suddenly the guvcview-1.6.1-i486-s.pet was nowhere in any mirror. Surprised
Turns out that is in "pet_packages-slacko" instead of "pet_packages-slacko14".

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 07:48    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Turns out that is in "pet_packages-slacko" instead of "pet_packages-slacko14".
Thanks for the heads up Shocked , fixed.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 08:01    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:

Tried to see what is the minimum of gtk3 that guvcview does need

So it turns out that guvcview only needs libgtk-3 and libgdk-3 from the 55MB Gtk-3 package! You may want to include these in the guvcview pet and remove Gtk-3 from the dependencies.
Till then I made the 4MB guvc_deps_s14-1.pet that is all guvcview-1.6.1-i486-s.pet needs to work in Slacko 14

ally

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:15    Post subject:  

@ mavrothal

thanks for the guvc pet

@01micko

the lock up has started again, seems to be limited to drive mounting (click to open drive sda1 takes about 25-30secs)

ran 'top' to see if anything was hanging the processor but only 6-8% load, ran hardware info to check memory in use and that hung too with 'scanning drives' (I think) bottom left of windows

don't know how to gather info to help......

Smile

** update

I was using ext4 for my 'data' partition and have now reformatted to ext2 after reading of data issues with ext4 and new kernels

only just reloaded data but appears to be working ok

will keep and eye and report

Smile
Page 46 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: