Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
umair

#441 Post by umair »

hi elroy:
Just downloaded carolina 004.
Running nicely on my system. More polished thn 003.
Keep it up ;-).
UMAIR

umair

#442 Post by umair »

umair wrote:hi elroy:
Keep it up ;-).
UMAIR
Refer to my previous post, I checked almost all applications in carolina 04, everthing works fine. The only problem I got is that, the pupsave file option is not working (I always use FRUGAL Installation and never found this before i.e. No Partitions available...). I am posting the screenshot.
Any Idea ??

elroy

#443 Post by elroy »

umair wrote:
umair wrote:hi elroy:
Keep it up ;-).
UMAIR
Refer to my previous post, I checked almost all applications in carolina 04, everthing works fine. The only problem I got is that, the pupsave file option is not working (I always use FRUGAL Installation and never found this before i.e. No Partitions available...). I am posting the screenshot.
Any Idea ??
Yeah, check to make sure that /sbin/probepart permission is set to be executable. I thought I did that, but maybe that's not the case.

You can do this from the terminal by entering

Code: Select all

/sbin/probpart +x
If you got the delta from the 'testing' folder, then yes, that'd be the case. But if you downloaded the ISO/delta from the normal place then no, this shouldn't of happened.

EDIT: My God, I must've been tired! The above command should've been...

chmod +x /sbin/probepart
. I'm so sorry for the confusion this created, UMAIR (and anyone else this may have affected).
Last edited by elroy on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

jpup

carolina 004

#444 Post by jpup »

I really don't wanna say "I told you so"

but I'm gonna say it anyway...

I told you so :) peace!

to umair: try to do a chmod 755 or change permissions using thunar... you'll be able to run pupsave and it will find partitions but you'll probably get hang time during shutdown.

peace

jpup

#445 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:
If you got the delta from the 'testing' folder, then yes, that'd be the case. But if you downloaded the ISO/delta from the normal place then no, this shouldn't of happened.
I've updated and my md5's all checkout correctly with the ones in the ISO directory...

so it's the same, probepart is still not executable

elroy

#446 Post by elroy »

yes, that'd be correct. The /sbin/probepart isn't executable, even though I checked for that being it was an issue in lite-002. Regardless, it isn't, and I'm re-uploading...

Sage

#447 Post by Sage »

Uh? Can't find it? Went to p.1, item 1, saw the redirect to 'News', saw the redirect to 'Links', looked through the Parent Directory. Is it me?! Yes! A hint might help, though.

jpup

carolina 004

#448 Post by jpup »

Sage wrote:Uh? Can't find it? Went to p.1, item 1, saw the redirect to 'News', saw the redirect to 'Links', looked through the Parent Directory. Is it me?! Yes! A hint might help, though.
PLease wait for a while as the 004 had some minor accident and is being re-uploaded

thank you for your patience and continued patronage

have a good day

umair

#449 Post by umair »

elroy wrote: Yeah, check to make sure that /sbin/probepart permission is set to be executable. I thought I did that, but maybe that's not the case.

You can do this from the terminal by entering

/sbin/probpart +x
elroy:
I entered the command u mentioned, Returns with the error "bash: /sbin/probpart: No such file or directory". I downloaded the ISO thn also checked the md5sum. Found correct. Facing the same problem.
Jpup:
I can open (create/delete folders etc..) my all partitions from thunar and can mount/unmount them without any problem. But I m still getting the same error.
UMAIR

Sage

#450 Post by Sage »

Please wait for a while as the 004 had some minor accident and is being re-uploaded
Okey dokey, it's this accursed timezone confabulation. Stuff coming in from West Coast, Oz, etc, thought I'd cracked jet-lag decades ago. I'm guessing that el el. hails from my favourite State, but it would really help if everbody's nationhood were displayed by default. Poor chap probably labouring through the night whilst we are just waking up, whereas the Aussies are already having their supper...
Whatever - we are grateful - thanks!

Presume the 'accident' doesn't affect lina-lite 003 which is arriving as we speak?
Last edited by Sage on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

jpup

#451 Post by jpup »

umair wrote:
Jpup:
I can open (create/delete folders etc..) my all partitions from thunar and can mount/unmount them without any problem. But I m still getting the same error.
UMAIR
open up thunar and go to file system -> sbin and find "probepart"

right click on it and go to properties and permissions and put a check on "allow this file to run as program"

or you can just wait for the updated carolina 004... its being re-uploaded by elroy

thanks

jpup

#452 Post by jpup »

Sage wrote:
Presume the 'accident' doesn't affect lina-lite 003 which is arriving as we speak?
I'm not sure about lina lite 003

but the accident involves a script which resulted in pupsaveconfig and grub4dos not being able to find your partitions.

yeah time zones, I was wondering how other people deal with different offsets.

anyway, the sun will be setting soon where I'm at ;)

thanks

umair

#453 Post by umair »

jpup wrote: open up thunar and go to file system -> sbin and find "probepart"
right click on it and go to properties and permissions and put a check on "allow this file to run as program"
or you can just wait for the updated carolina 004... its being re-uploaded by elroy
thanks
Thank you for quick reply.
waiting for iso to be uploaded.
Regards
UMAIR

smokey01

#454 Post by smokey01 »

I just had a look at lina04 in VirtualBox, looked and behaved very nicely.

It's definitely a keeper.

rg66

Edit SFS with compression choice

#455 Post by rg66 »

This is a modified version of Pizzasgood's Edit-SFS 2.1. It was made specifically for Carolina/Lite/Saluki - xfce/thunar but should work on other xfce puppies. It gives the option to choose XZ or GZ compression.

Just right click on an sfs > send to menu > edit sfs, and it decompresses the sfs into a temp folder for editing. Exiting the "build" or "compression type" window will close it and delete the working temp folder. Don't forget to save the new sfs somewhere before clicking finished!

Edit: Added create md5 text

It works as planned but this is my first time editing scripts so if someone with experience can check it out,corrections would be most welcome. The mods are line 217 to 256 of the editsfs.sh in /usr/local/apps/EditSFS
Attachments
EditSFS-2.1.3.pet
Added create md5 text
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
EditSFS-2.1.2.pet
Edit SFS files with xz or gz compression
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Last edited by rg66 on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:18, edited 7 times in total.

elroy

#456 Post by elroy »

my apologies about being tardy with the fixed version. I just now woke up with my 'puter in my lap. She's a hog to upload. I'm doing the .delta 1st. Sorry 'bout the delay.

Sage

#457 Post by Sage »

just now woke up
You work too hard! It isn't like that over at Redmond where the culture is 'make 'em wait'.

Sage

#458 Post by Sage »

004; First quick look. Boot up OK, bit slow as expected on >5 kit, but that's OK.
Sound on, video on, connected (wired) but with such a large .iso expected to find working FlashPlayer already loaded for the default browser? When selecting the 2nd FP in the PPM list, previously found to be the correct one, installer seemed to think there was one already loaded; if so, it was the wrong one. Once (re-?)loaded, iPlayer worked without the usual need to refresh X. Otherwise, seems to have everything present.
Nice picture, el, another developer with good taste!

ggg

#459 Post by ggg »

Sage

#460 Post by Sage »

Think I mentioned the orange text at boot up? Almost impossible to read any boot codes on all my modern led, as well as some older lcd monitors and TVs. Not sure where to change this on a liveCD, although it should respond to GRUB editing on a FULL? Not ready to test the latter at present. Boot codes can be very important to both neophytes and experts, of course; not sure about the rest !
Curious? Have an ~3yr old i3.4G/2G guts on the bench at present. Both Carolinas run OK, but the big guy is several times faster than the lite one.
Wired, Cohiba dongle and zd1211 ditto all connect and stable; HAMA rt2800usb/300MHz obviously still too new as reports no driver and 'Add' not working. These 300MHz dongles are going to become more widespread as tablets and smart TVs, inter alia, establish their niche.