Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

Java update

#421 Post by Geoffrey »

Java has been updated in the PPM to jre-1.7u9-i586, the Firefox java plugin no longer works since the Firefox 17.0 update.

To update refresh the PPM and install the latest jre-1.7u9-i586, or get it directly from HERE.

If you have Firefox 17.0, then you will then need to select from the Firefox menu, Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and enable the java plugin.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

#422 Post by elroy »

Just an update, fyi. Geoffrey and I are currently working on 004 and we feel that we're getting closer to releasing it. Much of the things that we're adding have been tested in lina-lite. So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues). What will be included will be the latest version of gtkdialog4 and the latest version of java. We're also planning on having Firefox auto-update.

Also included will be Marv's probepart, which eliminates the hanging upon shutdown that is experienced on many notebooks. Notifications work now, and the panel-mounter works better than before (although it isn't perfected yet). And thumbnails now work correctly in Thunar. Much of the user-feedback has been most helpful. Some of it has been downright wonderful. And then again, a bit of it makes you scratch your head and say, "really?...". Just so you know that changes are coming, but we want to test it a bit more before releasing it. We're still working on figuring out why dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it; if you happen to figure it out before we do, we'd certainly appreciate hearing from you.

jpup

#423 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues).
HI Elroy, I'm sorry if ever my posts have negative things.
I'm a big fan of carolina...
and I have full respect and admiration to all who are involved in this project.

Thank you for all your work...
I wish all the best for this project

elroy

#424 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:
elroy wrote:So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues).

No, don't be sorry. If everything was all positive, then nothing would get accomplished. Perhaps being concise in the future would be helpful. Responding to a veritable book is time-consuming. I have a full-time job, and two-distros to look after (soon to be three). I'd love to "save the world", but time is precious. I know you mean well, and please don't take offense.

jpup

#425 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:
jpup wrote:

No, don't be sorry. If everything was all positive, then nothing would get accomplished. Perhaps being concise in the future would be helpful. Responding to a veritable book is time-consuming. I have a full-time job, and two-distros to look after (soon to be three). I'd love to "save the world", but time is precious. I know you mean well, and please don't take offense.

none taken :)

but I guess I need to take a break from all this...
I've been spending too much time with carolina... though it can't be helped because getting the best setup takes a lot of time.

december is coming... and so is christmas...
and things are getting busy where I'm at...

can't wait for the new releases... especially when carolina leaves beta

thanks for everything

elroy

#426 Post by elroy »

Have a great Christmas, jpup.

And jemimah, too!

Don't feel like you need to be a stranger. 004 will be out soon enough.

jpup

#427 Post by jpup »

thanks elroy ;) merry christmas to you too, and the rest of the gang

Jemimah is the one who created saluki, right?

She also created puppeee for the eee pc, if I'm not mistaken...

I wish I had the coding talent you guys have.

by the way, could you check out orage calendar, it seems to have the time zone set to UTC even after setting up the personalize settings wizard. Or is that how it works and you still need to set it up separately?

elroy

#428 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:Jemimah is the one who created saluki, right?

She also created puppeee for the eee pc, if I'm not mistaken...
That would be correct. I miss jemimah's vision and input. She was my mentor, and I certainly hope that she is doing well. My wish is that she's having a wonderful holiday season. Without jemimah, Carolina would not be possible. Take care, J!

rg66

#429 Post by rg66 »

Replacing xfdesktop in /usr/bin with the one from saluki xfce-4.10.pet fixes the "dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it" problem.

Whether it changes anything else I'm not sure. I've only been using it for 10 min. so time will tell.

Edit: after 4 or 5 hours, no problems that I've noticed.

I've made a .pet to replace it and keep the old one as xfdesktop.bak just in case. Or dl the tar.gz and replace it manually.

Restart X after!
Attachments
xfdesktop.tar.gz
(96.78 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Last edited by rg66 on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 04:03, edited 2 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Pete22

Glad for the update

#430 Post by Pete22 »

Glad to hear 004 is coming.

Just FYI, not your problem, but the current version of libreoffice, is having trouble. My spell check stopped today. I checked their site and this and several other problems have been reported. And being dyslexic I can't work without spelling, so installing old version to finish my work for today.

I appreciate your fine work. Without my computer i could not work. It makes me very grateful that I can forget my handicaps most or the time.

I have notice a few glitches, but I will wait for version 4 to see if they disappear. Lots of the time my problems are user error or a lack of understanding of the big picture. Other times its my old hardware, that I am trying to make run faster than it ever thought possible.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. My two sisters are way less geeky than I am. They can understand Carolina, well enough to go on the internet or write a document and save it. Both are completely lost in Uxxxxxu. There are some sneeky geeky family members who keep putting Uxxxxu on their computers. Both call me to put Carolina back on instead. Low tech people don't like messing under the hood. They just want it to work without lots of bells and whistles. And Carolina does that so well. And its easy enough most the time for me to be their tech support. Now that Which is a miracle all by itself.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Pete

Puppyt

#431 Post by Puppyt »

004? Licensed to thrill... :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

elroy

#432 Post by elroy »

Puppyt wrote:004? Licensed to thrill... :)
Semi accurate :D Using some of rg66's and jpup's ideas, I think that our issues concerning Xfce-4.10 are now resolved. We're certainly moving towards stability at a rapid pace.

elroy

Re: Glad for the update

#433 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:Glad to hear 004 is coming.

Just FYI, not your problem, but the current version of libreoffice, is having trouble. My spell check stopped today. I checked their site and this and several other problems have been reported. And being dyslexic I can't work without spelling, so installing old version to finish my work for today.

I appreciate your fine work. Without my computer i could not work. It makes me very grateful that I can forget my handicaps most or the time.

I have notice a few glitches, but I will wait for version 4 to see if they disappear. Lots of the time my problems are user error or a lack of understanding of the big picture. Other times its my old hardware, that I am trying to make run faster than it ever thought possible.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. My two sisters are way less geeky than I am. They can understand Carolina, well enough to go on the internet or write a document and save it. Both are completely lost in Uxxxxxu. There are some sneeky geeky family members who keep putting Uxxxxu on their computers. Both call me to put Carolina back on instead. Low tech people don't like messing under the hood. They just want it to work without lots of bells and whistles. And Carolina does that so well. And its easy enough most the time for me to be their tech support. Now that Which is a miracle all by itself.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Pete
Hopefully 004 will resolve your glitches, but if not be sure to keep us informed.

elroy

#434 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:by the way, could you check out orage calendar, it seems to have the time zone set to UTC even after setting up the personalize settings wizard. Or is that how it works and you still need to set it up separately?
I'd be the wrong person to ask about this since I've never had to change this setting in orage. It's just a guess on my part, but I would thing that you would need to set it up in the orage preferences separately.

jpup

#435 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:
jpup wrote:by the way, could you check out orage calendar, it seems to have the time zone set to UTC even after setting up the personalize settings wizard. Or is that how it works and you still need to set it up separately?
I'd be the wrong person to ask about this since I've never had to change this setting in orage. It's just a guess on my part, but I would thing that you would need to set it up in the orage preferences separately.
thanks elroy, that's probably the case with orage.
anyway I've managed to embed all my settings in the custom ISO I had built so it's not really a big deal. I've also converted my apps to sfs and my settings load along with them, and I don't use savefiles anymore. Updating settings is quite easy with the delta file utility :D.
The only things I'm missing now are... Internet Download Manager, xunlei, and silverlight/moonlight.

About time zones, I wonder how people deal with different time zones like for example... If you work or study in a neighboring state or city with an earlier time. while living in a city with a later time. Do they always end up being late? :)

elroy

Carolina 004 released

#436 Post by elroy »

Carolina 0.0.4 has been released. To obtain the ISO/.delta file, please go to the first post on this thread and goto the 'News' section.

Included in 004:
* Thumbnails now display correctly in Thunar.

* The latest gtkdialog4 (as of 26 NOV 2012).

* A faster probepart script that eliminates the 'hanging' upon shutdown experienced with some notebook setups.

* You can now drag 'n drop icons from the main menu or control panel to the desktop without the items being removed from their originating place.

* A new default wallpaper (hopefully it'll be "friendly" enough for everyone).

* Within Firefox, you can now go to 'Help/About', and Firefox will automatically download and install the latest version if a newer version is available.

* Upon first running the new version of Carolina, in the Preferences dialog, the firewall button now works as it should. This is a bugfix. It was originally included in 003, but didn't work correctly. In 004, it works as it should.

* When you open the puppy package manager, the Carolina repository list will automatically update itself so long as you're connected to the internet. Again, this was originally introduced in 003, but did not work correctly. In 004, it works as it should. Please note that if you're going to use other locations available in the repository (arch, wary, etc...), you'll want to update their package lists. But for Carolina, this will no longer be necessary so long as you have an internet connection.

jpup

carolina 004

#437 Post by jpup »

thanks elroy :)

I actually caught the delta in the testing folder :)
This new one in the ISO directory seems to have a different md5 so I updated.

I don't know if it's just on my notebook but pupsaveconfig and grub4dos on 004 can't find any partitions.

Thanks

elroy

Re: carolina 004

#438 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:thanks elroy :)

I actually caught the delta in the testing folder :)
This new one in the ISO directory seems to have a different md5 so I updated.

I don't know if it's just on my notebook but pupsaveconfig and grub4dos on 004 can't find any partitions.

Thanks
Yeah, the one in 'testing' didn't have the permissions enabled for the /sbin/probepart.If you've downloaded from the expected place, hopefully you're not experiencing that. Either way, I'll look check it out and see if they're missing their permissions, too.

EDIT: their permissions are ok (pupsavefonfig & grub4dos). The problem with the .delta in the 'testing' folder was the permission wasn't set for '/sbin/probepart'. The testing folder isn't meant for general use. If you choose to use anything in it, expect the worst :D It's essentially used for Geofffrey and myself to pass items that need testing to each other. No warranty on those items...

EDIT-2: Don't download anything you find in the 'staging' folder. I use that for uploading, and then copy it to the needed place on the server. If you download from that, chances are you'll end up with a corrupt file.
Last edited by elroy on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 04:23, edited 2 times in total.

Bligh

#439 Post by Bligh »

Booted 003 in an older hp dt with standard led monitor and everything seemed to behave properly. Looks good. Now to try 4.
Cheers

elroy

#440 Post by elroy »

Bligh wrote:Booted 003 in an older hp dt with standard led monitor and everything seemed to behave properly. Looks good. Now to try 4.
Cheers
Thanks Bligh. Keep us informed. Much appreciated.