Need help compiling VIA VT6122 Gbe driver

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Moosman

Need help compiling VIA VT6122 Gbe driver

#1 Post by Moosman »

Hi there.

Well, I've downloaded puppy 2.02 (live cd only) and everything works like a charm - except for my internet connection.

I have a mainboard with a VIA VT6122 Gbe controller that I use for internet access.

I've tried to set it up with the network wizard but there is no chance getting a connection (yes, I configured seamonkey's proxy properly :wink: ).

I also tried to install the linux driver from VIA but I always get an error message from the puppy install tool that there was something wrong with the extraction of the .tar file.

Does anyone have a solution for my problem?

so long - Moosman

Moosman

#2 Post by Moosman »

I've been searching around in the forum and found out that the internet connection wizard doesn't recognize my network controller: There is no eth0 or anything else to configure or fool around with...

...is there anything you can suggest?

ezeze5000

eth0 info

#3 Post by ezeze5000 »

Is the card enabled in the BIOS?

Does the eth0 card work in another OS?

Make sure your BIOS is set for a non plug and play OS.

These are a few things you could look at first.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Moosman

#4 Post by Moosman »

Yes, the card works perfectly with Windows and SLAX for example.

I`ll check whether it works without PnP enabled in the BIOS - thanks for the Tip.

so long - Moosman

Moosman

#5 Post by Moosman »

Ok then, I tried to deactivate the PnP-OS value in my MoBo`s BIOS but there is no such option available.
This seems rather strange because I know that the PnP option can be set in most motherboards`s BIOSes - but not with the Abit AV8.

So, no success with making my NIC work with puppy this time.

Is there a way to make it work by integrating a driver in puppy? Do you have any experience with something like that?
And if you have, would you mind sharing the information in a, well, "noob-friendly" way to make it a little easier for me? :wink:

Thanks a bunch - Moosman

ezeze5000

eth0 controller

#6 Post by ezeze5000 »

Your eth0 controller is a:

VIA Networking Velocity VT6122 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I did a little research on it and I found links to drivers for it.

Some enterprising person could compile some for puppy. The people on this forum are really good at that sort of thing. I haven't quit got the hang of doing that yet.

Here is a link to some Solaris drivers for it.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

or linux drivers here

I hope this helps.

Moosman

#7 Post by Moosman »

Thanks very much for your research.

I`ve already tried to compile the newest 2.6 driver for my controller (VIA is kind enough to provide the linux etc. drivers in their packages) but let`s face the facts: I just can`t get behind all this.

I hardly dare to ask but could someone please do the job for me or give me nice and easy instructions? I think it should be easy for an experienced user but atm I`m not "quite" capable of doing in myself, if you know what I mean :wink:

so long - Moosman

ezeze5000

networking

#8 Post by ezeze5000 »

You might try getting a plain old 10/100 nic and install it to use with puppy.

I have several laying around and all of them work with puppy.

I hope this helps.

Moosman

#9 Post by Moosman »

Yes, that would probably work, but the problem is that I would have to tell my network admin that he has to change the MAC address in order for me to be able use the NIC for internet access (university account, you know).

And again this wouldn`t be a big deal at all (one phone call in fact) but I`m a little stubborn: I don`t want to switch NICs just because Puppy happens not to work with the controller I use now (which by the way works perfectly with any other linux distro I`ve tried) - I won`t give in yet! :wink:

Well, at the moment I`m quite busy and stuff but in september I`ll have more time to teach Puppy to communicate with my NIC :twisted:

so long - Moosman

ranjit

#10 Post by ranjit »

I know this might sound stupid, but it's my first post, so bear with me..

Given that the card works in other distros, it seems like a case of recompiling the kernel (vmlinuz) including support for the card.

As to how you integrate your own kernel with Puppy, it shouldn't be more than a case of downloading the source, configuring (the long bit!) and then `make && make modules_install' followed by copying the arch/*/bzImage over vmlinuz. Or am I missing something? [Wouldn't be the first time ;)]