Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 10:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Advice needed about possible open source project
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Gopher

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov 2012, 21:46    Post subject:  Advice needed about possible open source project
Subject description: A vm with in-browser graphical capability

My experience with programming is primarily limited to interpreted languages, so I don't know very much about some of the technologies that would be necessary for this project.

I've become accustomed to working in flash, but I've grown dissatisfied with it. The main problems are that it's proprietary and it is only designed for web applications. I'd like an open source vm that works for both desktop and web apps.

HTML5 is considered to be a replacement for flash, but as I understand it still has a ways to go. The source code and resources are not packed into one neat file the way they are in flash, so it's harder to distribute HTML5 programs. It also lacks desktop capability.

What I'd like to do is take an existing vm, for example, lua, and build a custom interpreter with increased capabilities.

It would have a special HTML5 client for graphical capability. Basically, the vm would run on the user's machine as a server. When the user visits a website with a program for the vm:
-The client is downloaded from the website.
-The client sends a websocket request to 'localhost', where the vm will be listening.
-The vm downloads the program as directed by the client.
-The vm feeds graphical output from the program into the vm, which feeds keyboard and mouse input back through the websocket connection.

In addition, each program would have its own config settings. By default, programs would be subject to similar limitations to flash, but a user can grant a trusted program extra permissions in order to use it as a desktop app.

So, my questions are:
-Does this sound feasible, or have I misunderstood some of the technologies involved?
-Does something like this already exist?
-How would I get started? Unfortunately, my skillset is poorly matched to this project, so I'd have little to contribute in the beginning stages.

Thanks in advance.
disciple

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 02:13    Post subject:  

It sounds kind of like Java to me...
- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Gopher

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 02:31    Post subject:  

Hm, I didn't know java was open source now.

i tried it awhile ago, but it didn't really click with me. Maybe I'll take another crack at it, thanks.

I'd still like to know if what I described is feasible, in case things don't work out with java.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 02:42    Post subject:  

javascript and node.js + your choice of npm module
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: