Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
aragon

#401 Post by aragon »

Jejy69,

in your first post precise-11.12 is linked.

aragon

Jejy69

#402 Post by Jejy69 »

Exact Aragon thanks you, first post edited. :)

Now, I'll try to post on the site, more applications, it will be a kind of directory, and it will avoid searching packets in the forum.
It will be more attractive and faster, with the added bonus a short description for each program.
I make no mirror, ie I keep the same server of the packet creator.
In the description, the name / nickname of the author of the package.

I do referencing in order to be more effective.

If I forget a name like the changes, do not hesitate to let me know.

Exemple :

ikaros262

#403 Post by ikaros262 »

Is there a delta file to update from old lxpup to new lxpup?

mikeslr

precise-lxpup-12.12 working great

#404 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you for precise-lxpup-12.12. It works flawlessly with my Amd quad-core, Ati-Radeo 3100 graphics and favorite applications.

I really appreciate that LxPup's sfs-Load-on-the-fly looks for sfses in both LxPup's folder and home partition. As I don't think LxPup's desktop sfses, such as mate-1.4.1.sfs, can be used with other Puppies, they can be kept in LxPup's folder, still found easily, and not create unnecessary listings or confusion if another Puppy is booted.

Miner suggestions:
You may want to consider altering the display which appears when the mate-1.4.1.sfs is loaded. The top aks “Do you want to run an applications now?
Attachments
Mate.sfs.jpg
Truncated? Unnecessary display on mate-1.4.1 load
(153.02 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times

smil99

#405 Post by smil99 »

Hi Jejy69,
Thanks to your ceaseless efforts, cinnamon now works as expected. :D I had to append the 'dbus-daemon --system' at /etc/rc.d/rc.local file before it could survive reboots though.
Will post back if any major show-stopper arises.

A note:
I noticed that LibreOffice 3.6.3 and Google Earth 6.2.2 at your site have .txz extension meaning they might have been built solely for the old slacko based lxpups. I am not sure if they are compatible with the lxpup precise series.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

smil99

#406 Post by smil99 »

@ mikesir
Having loaded mate-1.4.1.sfs ...., if I wanted to unload it and run LxPup without it,
(1) is unload via sfs-load-on-the-fly, and restart X sufficient?
(2) Do I have to exit X, and type something? If so, what?
(3) Is some other action required?
You don't need to unload mate or any other desktop to be able to use the original lxde desktop. You can always get back to it by typing

Code: Select all

xwin startlxde
at the console after exiting X.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

Jejy69

#407 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

ikaros262, no sorry, no delta file, I have build with a new Puppy base.
I prefer to avoid conflicts.

mikeslr, thanks you, I take into account the remarks.
I forget Vicmz's plugin.
For Mate, I don't know how to hide choices during the loading of the SFS. :?

To start lxde, don't need to unload SFS. Smil99 has the good solution :
Smil99: You don't need to unload mate or any other desktop to be able to use the original lxde desktop. You can always get back to it by typing
Code:
xwin startlxde
at the console after exiting X.
You can use all desktop environments together. I tried. :D
Just an issue, kde and trinity can't be together, since they have "startkde" to begin a session.

Smil99, Uf, I'm happy it works. :D, I need to fix fonts in Cinnamon menu now.
For LibreOffice and Google earth, yes they are in TXZ format, but works with Lxpup. :)
Just install as .pet or .deb.
You can use these without problem.

Cheers !

Jejy69

#408 Post by Jejy69 »

Smil99, I updated LibreOffice 3.6.3, it's now a .pet package, and I add a missing library. I will add now languages for Libo.
LibreOffice works normaly now.

Cheers ! :)

smil99

#409 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
Refer to next post, Sorry ... double posted ... :?
Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 01:33, edited 3 times in total.

smil99

#410 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
LibreOffice works normaly now.
Thanks for the LibreOffice pet. I'm going to try it out soon. Nevertheless, a .sfs file would have been better considering the size. What do you think?
By the way, the link to precise-lxpup-12.12.iso on the first page is still not clickable. Instead of:
Latest Precise version :

[urlhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/files/precise-lxpup-12.12.iso/download[/url]
must be:
Latest Precise version :

[url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/files/precise-lxpup-12.12.iso/download[/url]
Apparently, you missed the closing square bracket of the beginning url tag.

Cheers.

pchan

#411 Post by pchan »

Jejy69,

I installed latest lxpup to my acer aspire one happy2 netbook.

I am happy to report that Japanese input using SCIM system works ok. No problems to input Japanese texts in abiword, leafpad, Internet browsers.

I love the look of the desktop with the side panel and also the wall paper.

I encountered a problem when I downloaded chromium 2.5 and firefox 16 from your website and installed them. After installing, I cannot find the program in the launcher menu under internet.

Also, when i use pakage manager to download, it asked me to choose the folder i wish to install to. Maybe, this is a good thing because users can have a choice. But as someone who does not have enough computer knowledge, I am confused as to which folder to choose. Maybe, if you can give me ideas about which folder is the best for installing new programs to, i will be able to learn something new.

Thanks

Another thing i like to ask is will you make a retro lxpup 5.4.1 non-pae? The non pae version seems to run faster in my netbook.

Jejy69

#412 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !
A nice week end to all! :)

Smil99, thanks you, first post fixed. For LiBo I made .pet package because I put pinstall.sh file in it to install correctly the software.
Is it possible to launch a pinstall.sh file in a SFS file ? I will try.
If it works, I will buils a Sfs file. :)
I added some language packs for Libo.

Pchan, Good new, SCIM languages work ! :)
If you want, I added ln-JP for LibreOffice.
I just met this problem menu too. I do not know why it does not work for now.
However, I added a package on the website, which adds a menu entry.
Beside "Download" button, you have a little file "software"-menu.pet to add entry.
As usual, yes, I will build a No-Pae, I'm just taking a break. :lol:

Cheers !

Q5sys

#413 Post by Q5sys »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello !
A nice week end to all! :)

Smil99, thanks you, first post fixed. For LiBo I made .pet package because I put pinstall.sh file in it to install correctly the software.
Is it possible to launch a pinstall.sh file in a SFS file ? I will try.
If it works, I will buils a Sfs file. :)
I added some language packs for Libo.

Pchan, Good new, SCIM languages work ! :)
If you want, I added ln-JP for LibreOffice.
I just met this problem menu too. I do not know why it does not work for now.
However, I added a package on the website, which adds a menu entry.
Beside "Download" button, you have a little file "software"-menu.pet to add entry.
As usual, yes, I will build a No-Pae, I'm just taking a break. :lol:

Cheers !
Why would you be lauching a pinstall.sh file from an SFS? A SFS should just add the necessary files and entries when it loads. If you need certain actions to be run before the program can run... you could always create a first run script which does whatever and then launches the program. this script could then delete itself (which would be in the layer only and not in the sfs) so it would need to be run unless the sfs was unloaded and reloaded. This would require the tweaking of the SFS for your system though.

While the whole load an SFS on the fly thing works, its really not the best solution for anyone to be using as a regular tool. Especially for something as integral as as a DM.
Is there any cost to having a SFS load at boot and simply not using it?
IIRC, there was discussion during the development of the SFS load on the fly utility about it being used only when needed, and not as a normal function; because it messes with the layering of the AUFS and whiteouts.
You'd have to read through the thread though and see if I'm correct in that. Its possible the issues with file whiteouts and adding and deleting layers to the AUFS has been resolved.

greengeek

#414 Post by greengeek »

vicmz wrote:Something strange, after installing Pupsaveconfig I can't reboot by clicking the Reboot button, I have to Log Out to command prompt and type reboot then press ENTER key (same for Power Off). Could anyone confirm this?
What hardware are you experiencing this problem with?

vicmz

#415 Post by vicmz »

greengeek wrote:
vicmz wrote:Something strange, after installing Pupsaveconfig I can't reboot by clicking the Reboot button, I have to Log Out to command prompt and type reboot then press ENTER key (same for Power Off). Could anyone confirm this?
What hardware are you experiencing this problem with?
Hello :D
Jejy has already posted a patch to prevent Pupsaveconfig from interfering with Pupshutdown ->here<-. Thank you
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

peebee

Feedback

#416 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy69

I've been using the new 1212 Lxpup over a few days so thought it time to give you some feedback - some factual - some subjective.

First of all for "vanilla" LxPup with no additional WM....

The version of Frisbee found:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=100
is working well on this LxPup (which does not have Frisbee OOTB due to it's Precise origins).

I've managed to get both Chrome25 and LibreOffice3.6.1 working as sfs's but like other people I've struggled to get them showing in the menus - what seems to have worked for me is to go to /usr/share/applications and run them directly from the .desktop file whence they then seem to get magically added to the menu. I couldn't get the .txz version of LO3.6.3 to work.

I've been experimenting with just using the base version of LxPup rather than use the MATE add-on. The biggest drawback for me is the absence of a way to make links in PCManFM (really strange missing feature) - so I've constructed the small gtkdialog based gui attached which can be run from the menu (Filesystem -> Filesystem config) or by right clicking on the link target and using the custom command lxmklnk option just once - thereafter the utility is available from any right click.

I've notice that the rox - Rox - pcmanfm patch hasn't made it into this version so sometimes rox appears when you don't expect it to (e.g. opening sfs or 2fs files).

Now the subjective bits.....

I think you've lost some of the initial impression of elegant simplicity of the previous LxPup by providing such a heavily populated panel on the left side of the screen - I like minimalism and simplicity so I've deleted the panel and made my own on the bottom of the screen with my selection of apps.

I'm a bit surprised at how different the "new" version of Mate1.4.1 is compared to the previous version - again I feel some of the elegant simplicity of the previous version has been lost and I was really sad to find that the Places item on the upper panel - and indeed the whole upper panel had disappeared altogether.

The Mate menu's are also only showing the top level items so many facilities in sub-levels are not accessible from the menu. (previously reported I think).

Hope this helps....
Along with many others I am in awe of what you've achieved....it's GREAT!
The new website is splendid too.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture28940.png
peebee's lxpup desktop
(90.22 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times
lxmklnk-1.pet
A small gui to provide link creation in the absence of this feature in pcmanfm
Slightly modified version after download #4
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Last edited by peebee on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 20:34, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Geoffrey

Re: Feedback

#417 Post by Geoffrey »

peebee wrote: I've managed to get both Chrome25 and LibreOffice3.6.1 working as sfs's but like other people I've struggled to get them showing in the menus - what seems to have worked for me is to go to /usr/share/applications and run them directly from the .desktop file whence they then seem to get magically added to the menu. I couldn't get the .txz version of LO3.6.3 to work.
Try adding this to fixmenus

touch --no-create /usr/share/applications/
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

peebee

Re: Feedback

#418 Post by peebee »

Geoffrey wrote:Try adding this to fixmenus

Hi Geoffrey

By "adding" do you mean include it on the command line in a terminal or do you mean edit the fixmenus shell file and add that as a new line?? or something else?

Thanks for your help
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Geoffrey

#419 Post by Geoffrey »

Hi peebee,

yeah add it to the end of the fixmenus script, that should fix the problem, we had the same issue with xfce and that fixed it.

I suggested it to Jejy69 here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 361#654361 and that worked, though it don't seem to need the icon cache updated like it did in xfce.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Geoffrey

#420 Post by Geoffrey »

peebee,

Then again it may need the icon cache updated, I just realized that I had already updated the the icon cache with a new iconset which includes LibreOffice icons, so that may be why I only needed the touch command.

Edit: I've done another test, when unloading the sfs I needed to run

again to clear the entries from the menu, adding the command at the end of fixmenus solved the unloading also.