How do I install Puppy to HD without floppy?(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Freedom

How do I install Puppy to HD without floppy?(Solved)

#1 Post by Freedom »

Guest wrote:Any idea, when version 1.0.4 will be released ?
That and when will there be a version of Puppy that can be installed easily to the hard drive without having to use a floppy.

I Love Puppy Linux Have been playing with it for several days and think it is a very nice small distro. I would love to use it on a very old PC I have but the PC will not boot from the CDrom it is not a option in the bios.
I figure I can get a distro on the drive just the same but Puppy Linux does not install to the hard drive like a regular distro does and that bothers me.

I can think of a very good use for Puppy in my business. I recondition and give away old PC as one of the things my business does. And Puppy Linux is the best small Distro I have ever seen. I would very much like to use it as the distro I put on the reconditioned PCs, but the lack of a regular install option prevents this.

Do we know when there will be a regular install option available?
Last edited by Freedom on Fri 22 Jul 2005, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Is this any help?

Sorry, I don't know how else to install Puppy on a HD when the computer won't boot from CD. I believe someone posted something about installing VectorLinux from the iso without booting from floppy.
Last edited by Flash on Mon 18 Jul 2005, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

#3 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:Is this any help?
Unfortunately no.

I need to be able to load it to the hard drive and run with out the need of a floppy.

Puppy is a great OS I don't understand why it does not have a regular installer.
It may increase the size of the ISO but they could have two ISOs one with and one with out the installer. Dunno but Puppy needs the full install option IMHO.

Freedom

#4 Post by Freedom »

Flash wrote:Is this any help?

Edit: sorry, that was meant as an answer to another post.
Sorry that was me :oops: :oops: forgot to log in.

It's ok :) I don't know of a better way either. I would love to use Puppy but until they get a real installer in it it looks like I will only be using it from CD at home. I would love to be able to put this OS out to the people though.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

How To Setup And Configure Puppy

#5 Post by Lobster »

This is from here (which needs some work - any volunteers?)
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/HowTo ... igurePuppy

No Floppy/No CDROM Hard Drive Boot Strategy

(I've used this with puppy 1.0.1 and 1.0.2RC)

To boot puppy straight from hard disk under FAT32 partition Win98SE I used the following:

linld.com download for linld.com
puppy.lin (extract shown below - kernel parameter file)
vmlinuz (in C:\) (from puppy iso)
image.gz (in C:\) ( from puppy iso)
usr_cram.fs (in C:\) (from puppy iso)

Then I can just shutdown to MS-DOS mode and run
linld.com image=c:\vmlinuz initrd=c:\image.gz cl=@puppy.lin

Voila! One happy puppy.

My puppy.lin contains:
root=/dev/ram0
PFILE=pup001-none-262144
PHOME=hda1
# Commented out - these kernel parameters aren't needed for most people, just for my ancient laptop (PS/2 mouse interrupt issue)
#pci=irqmask=0x8000
#ide1=noprobe
#ide2=noprobe
#ide3=noprobe
#end puppy.par

I used isobuster to extract the files from the puppy live cd iso.

Why do it this way?
Because when you want to add extra parameters you can't using tiny.exe (used by the puppy floppy boot disk) as the DOS command line has a limited number of characters. loadlin version 1.6c isn't reliable it seems - it puppy didn't get the complete image.gz filesystem loaded (the kernel load showed ext2fs errors on the initial RAMDISK). Thank goodness for linld.com!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

You can!

#6 Post by raffy »

Of course you can install Puppy to hard disk. Use version 1.03 for that (as there is a kernel problem in version 1.02). Partitioning (and resizing of partition 1) of the hard drive is required, which you can easily do with cfdisk (at the terminal). But as Freedom gives away old PCs, he can use the whole hard disk. In that case there will be two partitions:

first = /dev/hda1 make this as the Linux partition
second = /dev/hda2 make this as the Linux swap partition

Put Grub (the loader) at the MBR (master boot record).

If you will be patient, i will post a step-by-step with pictures tomorrow...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

danleff

#7 Post by danleff »

This is from here (which needs some work - any volunteers?)
Lobster, are you referring to the text formatting/code issues. If this is the case, I could use the practice. PM me if this is OK with you and I will give it a go.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Wiki volunteers

#8 Post by Lobster »

The Wiki is really a gold mine of info
as are flash's beginners start here link from the top of the first forum
and as is Barrys Website

The forum: everyone who has info and questions, contributes.
The wiki too is easy to add info to
(to register use CamelCase name eg BarryK - Capital in the beginning and midle and or end - no breaks)

Quite often people think if someone OWNS a wiki page then we have to ask permission to edit that page - not so - dive in

Some pages (for example the Dotpup pages) are restricted to who can edit them
- but just double click and see . . .

Everyone welcome :)
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 20 Jul 2005, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Freedom

Re: You can!

#9 Post by Freedom »

raffy wrote:Of course you can install Puppy to hard disk. Use version 1.03 for that (as there is a kernel problem in version 1.02). Partitioning (and resizing of partition 1) of the hard drive is required, which you can easily do with cfdisk (at the terminal). But as Freedom gives away old PCs, he can use the whole hard disk. In that case there will be two partitions:

first = /dev/hda1 make this as the Linux partition
second = /dev/hda2 make this as the Linux swap partition

Put Grub (the loader) at the MBR (master boot record).

If you will be patient, i will post a step-by-step with pictures tomorrow...
Raffy

Thank you very much. I will try your suggestions as best I can.
I have been using Linux for a few years now but still understand little about it.

Tried using Knoppix and Mepis for a long while and while they are very good distros they are no where as easy as the one I use regularly.
Puppy seems a small and very easy distro. I hope I can really start here and learn how to work IN Linux and start doing things.

Also. I will try not to double post in the future. I know it creates problems in the forums. I just really want to be able to do this.

Thanks in advance for all the help I get here :D
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

raffy

hard disk install

#10 Post by raffy »

Here it is, as promised

http://www.ph-islands.net/pupinstall/

your comments are welcome, especially for my mistakes...
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Raffy,
That's a nice page!
I'll put a link to it from somewhere... for now, I've made a note about it in my notebook, later may put a link onto the "hard-Puppy" web page, or somewhere similar.

Freedom

#12 Post by Freedom »

Yes it is very nice. But it only works as is with upto Puppy 1.03 as 1.04 makes use of /dev/hda1 and you can not install it to that partition.

Puppy 1.03 will work like this though. I installed 1.03 to a test drive this morning and it worked like a charm. 1.04 will not install this way without changing the name of the partition which I have no idea how to do.

Raffys directions were very good and worked just as they were supposed to. They are just not usable as is on 1.04.

I am having to download the 1.03 ISO again and will have to use it untill this new issue can be worked around or a full installer can be implimented in to Puppy.

Still.... A VERY good OS and cudos to Barry and his crew on the fine work
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

Nice indeed Raffy - have placed a link here
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews

It should also be linked from a HD wiki page but not sure which
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Freedom wrote:Yes it is very nice. But it only works as is with upto Puppy 1.03 as 1.04 makes use of /dev/hda1 and you can not install it to that partition.
No, there should not be any difference in what partition Puppy 1.0.3 or 1.0.4 use for the pup001 file.

Besides, if you find that 1.0.4 is using hda1 for the pup001 file, and this prevents you from installing to hda1, the News page announced a workaround for just this situation.
The workaraound is boot option 3, "Choose HD". Either you can choose a different partition for the pup001 file, or not use any partition at all and run Puppy totally in ramdisk.

raffy

Yes, press 3 at boot time

#15 Post by raffy »

Yes, it is the fact that Puppy saves files to partition1 (the one available) that's preventing Freedom from using /dev/hda1 for the Puppy install. So just reboot and press 3 at boot time to prevent Puppy from using the hard disk for saving "pup001". When the boot script asks later, do not enter any partition name (just press ENTER).

Freedom

Re: Yes, press 3 at boot time

#16 Post by Freedom »

raffy wrote:Yes, it is the fact that Puppy saves files to partition1 (the one available) that's preventing Freedom from using /dev/hda1 for the Puppy install. So just reboot and press 3 at boot time to prevent Puppy from using the hard disk for saving "pup001". When the boot script asks later, do not enter any partition name (just press ENTER).
Thank you Barry and raffy for the responses.
I am still very unfamiliar with the command line and do very little with it.
But I will try raffys directions. 1.03 does very well from the hard drive.
I will need to get another small drive that I can try loading 1.04 on to. I have 1.03 on the other drives at the moment and well you know how the old saying goes.
"If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Them other drives are not broke any more thanks to Puppy Linux and raffys great directions.

One more thing. What is the web sight that holds Puppy's source code.
Reason? Over the years at the other Linux forum many people have come in asking questions about the source code for that OS, Where they can get a copy of the GPL License and the like. So I added links to them in my signature area. I have most of it there now but I do not know the address to the Puppy source.

Also let me say that the individual who did the dot pup file install.
EXCELLENT 8) 8) 8) work. They work perfectly every time. Have downloaded and installed many in the last week that I have been playing with Puppy.

I hold the forum members and Distro employees of the Linspire forum in high regard for their timely answers and courteous manners in those forums, and I have to say that the members and Puppy developers here are in the same caliber as those.

It is very good to see that there are REAL Linux forums out here that treat and great new users with proper manners and respect instead of the much expected snobbery. Puppy Linux and these forums are a refreshing change to much of the Linux community that unfortunately still wrongly believes that Linux should only be for the best of the best, and not for every one.

Again, Congratulations on an excellent OS.
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

WiZard

Easy install to harddrive

#17 Post by WiZard »

Hi, don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread but like Freedom, I work on a project that refurbishes old computers and then gives them to schools , chruches, missons, retirement homes, etc. I have been working with Linux for a couple of years looking for a distro that will work on the low end hardware we get like 166mhz P1's. To date my picks have been DSL (Debian based) & Amigo (zipslack based). I had made a list of applications/capabilities that the distro should have and had been slowly trying to adding them to Amigo without bloating it to much.
Recently I found Puppy Linux and as you know it is both small and flexable, it also already had almost all the capabilities on my list. I have gone through all the hard drive install how to's and tried PUPWIN98.ZIP (didn't work at all). Again Like Freedom I needed something quick and easy. So, I created a single PUPDOS.EXE file that does the job. On a new drive takes just 4 steps, partition drive (fat16 or 32), format drive (make bootable), copy PUPDOS.EXE file to drive, run PUPDOS.EXE. That's it, just reboot & type LINUX. PUPDOS.EXE can also be run on an existing W9x drive and you get the ability to run both W9x and Puppy. I've installed on a 166mhz, 64mb ram 500mb HD & runs good I'll be glad to share PUPDOS.EXE with anyone interested in testing or using it. Just need some place to host the 62mb file.

JaDy

#18 Post by JaDy »

I built PupWin98.zip and am willing to drop it in favor of something better. I ain't proud. Just looking for the best, easiest, safest way to get Puppy running without CD. I'm concerned with distributing anything as an exe file because many are rightly fearful about downloading an executable from the Internet.

So, I'd like to see your PUPDOS.EXE and, if it works for me, I'll host it at my freeVEDA.org web site.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.