'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#61 Post by rg66 »

After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually. You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 827#665827
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

lina-lite version

#62 Post by Marv »

Hi elroy,
Very good stuff as always, Marv, but I have to ask...what lite version are you running?
I'm running lina-lite0-001 from the link in the first post on this thread. Is there another version? Looks like rg66 has the thumbnails back. Havent tried his fix yet.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

thunar thumbnails

#63 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.
Works for me. THANKS rg66
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#64 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually. You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 827#665827
Thanks for that, rg66. I'll use that for 002.

elroy

Re: lina-lite version

#65 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Hi elroy,
Very good stuff as always, Marv, but I have to ask...what lite version are you running?
I'm running lina-lite0-001 from the link in the first post on this thread. Is there another version? Looks like rg66 has the thumbnails back. Havent tried his fix yet.
No...you're using the version that I'd be using...just wanted to make sure it wasn't an older "light" version. I'm going to add this and your pm'd probepart4. It's good stuff, and I meant no disrespect by asking you what you're currently running int on...just had to be sure.

rg66

#66 Post by rg66 »

rg66 wrote:Gvfs-smb seem to break something in thunar. After install and restart x, thunar takes over 20 seconds to open and network is missing from the side pane. Using go>network from the menu bar gives network error. After uninstall thunar remains broken, back up your save file first if you try it.

Gvfs-smb works in carolina-003 though, which I am assuming is using the same lina_xfce-4.10.
I tried Gvfs-smb from Saluki and it's working without problems, it has 5 or 6 more libs than the Carolina one. I will assume it was the missing libs that were causing the issues.

Geoffrey

#67 Post by Geoffrey »

rg66 wrote:
rg66 wrote:Gvfs-smb seem to break something in thunar. After install and restart x, thunar takes over 20 seconds to open and network is missing from the side pane. Using go>network from the menu bar gives network error. After uninstall thunar remains broken, back up your save file first if you try it.

Gvfs-smb works in carolina-003 though, which I am assuming is using the same lina_xfce-4.10.
I tried Gvfs-smb from Saluki and it's working without problems, it has 5 or 6 more libs than the Carolina one. I will assume it was the missing libs that were causing the issues.
elroy removed those files for Carolina
elroy wrote: There's already a gvfs pet in the repo, but this one does seem to get the Thunar network tab working.

I've uploaded this to the carolina repo. I removed some of the library files because they're already on carolina by default.

It seems to work. I don't have windows, but my wife does, and I can see her computer when I click the Network tab from within Thunar. If I click on her computer's icon I get a login/password dialog. Clicking the Windows network icon crashes Thunar, but that may be because I'm not logged in as a network user, or some other reason.

The following files were removed because they're already on carolina by default:

/usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4
/usr/lib/libgconf-2.s0.4.1.5
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.5.3
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0.8.0
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#68 Post by rg66 »

I searched the forum and found nothing, I don't recall seeing that post but wish I had.

Maybe the full pet could be in the repo as gvfs-smb-lina-lite.pet or something. Would be helpful for people like me with not so much experience.

Marv

Re: lina-lite version

#69 Post by Marv »

elroy wrote:
Marv wrote:Hi elroy,
No...you're using the version that I'd be using...just wanted to make sure it wasn't an older "light" version. I'm going to add this and your pm'd probepart4. It's good stuff, and I meant no disrespect by asking you what you're currently running int on...just had to be sure.
No disrepect taken, I just wondered if a version slipped by me. Finding not much else to gnaw at, I remastered my working version last night. Went well, with a total boot directory size now of 120 MB with browser and apps and seems rock solid. That pleased me.

elroy

'lina-lite - version 002

#70 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite-002 is now available. See the first post of this thread for download links.

What's new in 002?

* kernel version 3.2.13-c. This is a non-PAE kernel that is essentially the sister version to the one offered as the default PAE kernel used in Carolina. Kernel sources and headers are available on the server using the links provided in the first post of this thread.

* Notifications are working. I recompiled the xfce4-notifyd-0.2.2-i486 package to get the notifications working. I've also added it to the lina_xfce-4.10.pet in the repository.

* A faster probepart script (thanks Marv). This eliminates the slow shutdown speed/hanging experienced on some machines.

* An improved panel-mounter plugin (thanks again to Marv). While not yet perfected, it is much more usable than was the case in 001.

* Thunar now displays thumbnails (thanks rg66).

* After much back-n-forth, I decided to include the pup-volume-monitor-0.1.10 package in the adrive.

* To save space I did not provide a default wallpaper image. If you want wallpapers you'll need to add your own images to /usr/share/backgrounds.

With all these changes the new ISO size has increased by only 1 MB. I've also provided a .delta file that you can use to create the new 002 ISO from the 001 version ISO. The .delta file is approximately 23 MB. If you prefer to just download the 002 ISO it is approximately 106 MB.

sheldonisaac

Re: 'lina-lite - version 002

#71 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote:'lina-lite-002 is now available.
Thanks a lot.
My first time with it, on my other computer, a Dell D610.

I put the three .sfs fiies and vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a directory, and booted it via a menu.lst

Seems very nice,

But when I try to reboot and make a save file, it says no suitable partitions to save to.

Help, please.

Thanks again,

Sheldon

elroy

#72 Post by elroy »

sheldonisaac wrote:
Thanks a lot.

I put the three .sfs fiies and vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a directory, and booted it via a menu.lst

Seems very nice,

But when I try to reboot and make a save file, it says no suitable partitions to save to.

Help, please.

Thanks again,

Sheldon
Hi Sheldon. Dummy me forgot to set the permission on probepart. To fix this open a terminal window and enter the following:

Code: Select all

chmod +x /sbin/probepart
In the meantime I'll fix this and re-upload the ISO and .delta files. Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT: fixed ISO and delta files are now uploaded.
Last edited by elroy on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

#73 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Seems very nice,

Help, please.

Thanks again,

Sheldon
Hi Sheldon. Dummy me forgot to set the permission on probepart. To fix this open a terminal window and enter the following:

chmod +x /sbin/probepart
In the meantime I'll fix this and re-upload the ISO and .delta files. Thanks for the heads-up.
Got it, and thank you very much.
Am on 'lina now, using Opera 12.02 (loaded the .sfs)
Will it load at next boot?

Thanks again.

elroy

#74 Post by elroy »

sheldonisaac wrote: Am on 'lina now, using Opera 12.02 (loaded the .sfs)
Will it load at next boot?.
Yes, it will as long as you're using a savefile.

Marv

'lina-lite - version 002

#75 Post by Marv »

Looks good elroy,

Quick look, pfix=ram frugal install. intel 2200 pro firmware found ootb now. Udev rules look good, probepart too, icons in thunar GREAT, panel mounter working with one caveat yet. Preinstalled Panel mounter perfect. If for any reason someone deletes that one and then reinstalls it, custom mount line still has to be cut and pasted in as does any device blacklist. The configuration file in /root/.config/xfce4/panel comes up with different #s depending on panel configuration. I have a template file and a script to replace any that exist but it isn't quite puppable yet. Just to get the lines in one place, here they are. Looking real good! :D

Custom mount line:

sh -c '[ ! -d %m ] && mkdir -p %m ; mount %d'
Device blacklist example:

/dev/loop0 /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3 /dev/loop4 /dev/fd0
Last edited by Marv on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

fixed ISO and delta files are now uploaded.
Unintended consequences of a small .iso - quick to fix, quick to upload! Thanks a bunch, el - trying to keep up as I pour my morning coffee...

Quick first look - this one is amazing. Fast, stable, got sound, vision & connected (even with Fris. on an old Athlon2500 system) at boot up, just a browser+FP and we're in business. Great PPM selection, but loadsa essentials already in Control Panel. A real kick in the rear for all those ostriches who are either unable or unwilling to provide small distros - DW keeps churning them out daily, despite guru Jesse's commentary. Why make regular punters suffer someone else's choice of apps?
Customised distros and special requests are always going to need individual attention, so plenty of scope for senior developers without compromising the base station. Great work, el.

peebee

Broadcom wl driver support

#77 Post by peebee »

Broadcom wl wifi driver.......

I've added support for the new Lina-Lite kernel:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 281#626281
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Billtoo

'lina-lite - version 002

#78 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install and installed the proprietary nvidia
driver.
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3374MB (160MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu 22 Nov 2012 07:39:10 AM EST
Display
Resolution 2880x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
It's working great.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(122.69 KiB) Downloaded 879 times

Marv

#79 Post by Marv »

elroy,
My oops, Late last night I missed the preinstalled panel mounter and added another. Edited my earlier post to reflect that. Now really really really good.

sheldonisaac

#80 Post by sheldonisaac »

Billtoo wrote:I did a manual frugal install and installed the proprietary nvidia
driver.
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3374MB (160MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Billtoo, please excuse: I'm new at this.

How can I get a system description like you did?

Thanks,
Sheldon