Macpup 529

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Barburo

#101 Post by Barburo »

Thanks peebee.
Chromium v25 from .pet works fine!

edit: Chromium icon doesn't show up in menu - and I cannot determine where to set it.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

runtt21

#102 Post by runtt21 »

Make sure it has a .desktop file in /use/share/application

Barburo

#103 Post by Barburo »

Thanks runtt21 ... the chromium icon just needed to be copied to usr/share/icons

B.

Barburo

#104 Post by Barburo »

Runtt21,
There has not been much activity on this thread lately so I was curious if you have any idea how many users you have for Macpup 529?

I use it because it comes up faster than any other Puppy on all my laptops and desktops, and it's a speedy performer.
You stress it's a development version - seems pretty stable to me - plus as it's based on Precise, it has a long term future. Any plans to move it to production release?

Thanks for your work on this one - hope you're having a good holiday season down there in Texas.
B.

runtt21

#105 Post by runtt21 »

About three weeks ago my Toshiba died on me. I will probably get it fixed later in January. But that is why I haven't been doing a lot , plus I work in retail and this is a super busy time for us. So when I am home I try to rest as much as I can. I have compiled a new version of EFL but they have advanced way beyond that . I am watching both the development of precise and e . Both are moving rapidly. I am concerned about the black screen issue with the newer builds of precise and slacko. I have several new themes I just need to finish . I did get a new laptop but I don't have anything setup on it yet. I don't plan on doing anything major until after the first of the year.

ciento

#106 Post by ciento »

Hope your employer rakes in a fortune, and is generous to you who
help make the business possible. Hopefully rude and deadbeat customers will
all shop at your competitors :lol:

Taking a well deserved break is important,
especially when the work is heavy.

runtt21

#107 Post by runtt21 »

Merry Christmas everyone, and a safe and happy new year!!!!!

runtt21

#108 Post by runtt21 »

Just to let everyone know yes I have been watching the e17 development. I almost have my hardware issues resolved and as soon as that is put to bed I will begin building a new Macpup and updating and themes and other stuff......
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

James C

#109 Post by James C »

Congrats on Macpup 529 being number 5 in Sneekylinux's Top Ten of 2012/2013....... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlggvJazArY

runtt21

#110 Post by runtt21 »

Thank you Sir !! And BIG Thank you to Sneeky !!!

I am working on the new macpup. I don't know if this current build of e is going to be in it . I am testing several to see which one ( the newest 17.1 or an older snapshot ) will be in. But I am actually doing something..... :lol:

Here is a shot of EFL 1.7.5 with elementary,emotion,ethumb,terminology and e 17.0 It has several issues so I am trying 17.1 next. Running precise 5.4.3 .

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/display ... 605018.jpg

toomanyquestions

Macpup filemanager

#111 Post by toomanyquestions »

Will it be possible to include a more traditional 2ndary file manager? I'm not a big fan of rox...

Gnuxo

#112 Post by Gnuxo »

Why can't macpup use EFM as it's file manager?

I've used Bodhi and Enlightenment's file manager is pretty nice.

Though I guess Rox is faster.

runtt21

#113 Post by runtt21 »

EFM has improved a lot but as far as performance and options it can't touch rox especially with the extra rick click options. 529 has those installed by default. 529 has EFM just enable the starter option in the settings panel. But it wont have a menu entry you will need to use th edesktop icon for that.

Gnuxo

#114 Post by Gnuxo »

I could just add Ibar applications from the settings panel, though.

I also realized that XFE is a great file manager. And it comes with it's own frontend for dpkg. So it could one click install .debs and even .pets with a click.

...Actually, now that I think about it...XFE is a suite of applications, rather then a single file manager. XFE comes with Xfwrite, *I forget the name of the package management program*

XFwrite integrates with XFE and is basically a lightweight text editor like Leafpad and the other program can install packages.

It also can integrate with Audacious...

toomanyquestions

re: efm

#115 Post by toomanyquestions »

runtt21 wrote:EFM has improved a lot but as far as performance and options ... But it wont have a menu entry you will need to use th edesktop icon for that.
What is the terminal execute command for efm? I seem to remember trying "efm" (and a few variations) without success.
I also realized that XFE is a great file manager.
Do you have the wherewithal to make a xfe precise .pet? I don't, but I'd be interested if someone did ;)

Gnuxo

#116 Post by Gnuxo »

Does Macpup 529 have a PAE kernel or non-PAE?

...And will the newest version have a choice of both PAE and non-PAE, just like Precise puppy gives?

Gnuxo

#117 Post by Gnuxo »

Oh...I just remembered.

Please don't include Meebo in the menu anymore. It doesn't exist.

To save space, maybe have chatzilla preinstalled on Firefox.

Gnuxo

#118 Post by Gnuxo »

I need some help.

I got the extramods.pet

...But the xkb switcher module won't work. The screen freezes momentarily when I try to change it's settings and then nothing happens.

runtt21

#119 Post by runtt21 »

529 is PAE. I haven't decided yet on doing both a pae and non pae version. If I do a non it won't be until after the main release. And that is a long way off .I haven't decided on the version of e I am going to use. I'm not real happy with 17.0 or 17.1 so I am about to drop back to an older snapshot to see if it works better with precise.

Some of the extra modules are hardware sensitive and won't work on everyone stuff. It getting to the point that Raster is talking about dumping them altogether. The newer builds of e will give a warning message when you load any of them now. I plan on dropping some of them for the next pup.

Gnuxo

#120 Post by Gnuxo »

I have a question about my graphics card.

I frugaled Macpup 529 my 64 bit laptop. And it works nice, but I don't seem to have opengl working. And when I go into the xorgwizard to choose my default graphics card, all of the radeon and ATI options crash X, except for Vesa.

I found a xserver-xorg-video-radeon in the puppy package manager, but I don't know if it's safe to install it.

I have a mobile radeon 4300 series card.