Creating a truly headless pup derivative (new issues

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edwin.evans

Bonjour/Zeroconf support

#21 Post by edwin.evans »

@ldolse mentioned support for Bonjour/Zeroconf as done. Is this available in the standard 5.0 version? What do I need to do to run this?

ldolse

#22 Post by ldolse »

Bonjour/Zeroconf is done for the puplet I was working on - mpdPup - I don't believe any of the core Puppy team leveraged that for other versions of Puppy. I've built my binaries using a Debian Squeeze based dPup, not sure if they'd be compatible with other Puppy variants. The pet package is on the first page if you want to try it. I can't remember anymore but it should have an init script to go with it, if not I can provide my curent init script.

Anyway I'd be happy to share what I've done with other people/developers, but not sure where your comfort levels lie. My build of Avahi is very stripped down, basically it allows the Puppy machine to be found on the network, but it doesn't interoperate with other services, as there were a ton of interdependencies I didn't want to build/run/support. You can still manually define zeroconf services, which is what I do.

Edit - I see the pet I attached is from a very early release, so it's built on 4.x. If you want a 5.x built pet I can provide that, but it's built on a dpup squeeze base as I said.