iPhone USB internet tethering

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

The usbmuxd and libimobiledevice libraries should work OK in Wary, but there's also a kernel module involved; ipheth.
As you should know, kernel modules are kernel-specific, and since Lucid-Puppy 5.2.x and Wary 5.3.x have different kernels, this will be incompatible.

If one of the Wary developers can compile the ipheth kernel module for you, it should work in combination with the libraries in my dotpet.
The source code is here -
https://github.com/dgiagio/ipheth/downloads

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

tempestuous wrote:If one of the Wary developers can compile the ipheth kernel module for you, it should work in combination with the libraries in my dotpet.
The module compiles OK in Wary 5.3, but there are a bunch of missing dependencies. I pulled them out of Lupu and stuck them in the PET.

The binaries like ipheth-pair appear to start.

[Edit] Attachment deleted - multiple downloads with no feedback. If anyone else wants this package, they can post another request.

tenochslb

#23 Post by tenochslb »

on wary 5.3,

It broke my rox filer, i had to uninstall them to get it working again.

Is this just for thethering?

When i plug ipad 3 it recognizes the ipad and i can see the pictures.

tempestuous

#24 Post by tempestuous »

Before I answer that ...
does tethering work under Wary 5.3?

jodel

#25 Post by jodel »

I am running Slacko 5.7. Is there a version of ipheth available for it?
Jodel

tempestuous

#26 Post by tempestuous »

jodel, I need to know exactly which type/model of "i-device" you are intending to connect to?

jodel

#27 Post by jodel »

It is an iPhone 3.(jailbroken). I have tried the version of ipheth mentioned above in 2012 and it does show up as network device but it does not set up properly. It gets an ip address but no routing DNS or gateway. Pinging anything other than the ip of the computer itself give network not found
The phone connects ok to ubuntu on the same computer.
Jodel

tempestuous

#28 Post by tempestuous »

The ipheth package in this post is more than 2 years old now, and I think its version of libimobiledevice is likely too old for the iPhone 3.
A quick fix might be to install the experimental version of gtkpod I posted here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 228#618228
This package contains the same libraries needed by the ipheth driver.

If still no luck, you will need to wait until I update the gtkpod/libimobile packages again, which should be within a month or two - I'm waiting for the next release of usbmuxd.

jodel

#29 Post by jodel »

Thanks for your reply. I presume the file is gtkpod-2.0.2-April2012.pet ?
I will try that.
Jodel

mikeslr

Smartphone as Wifi Adapter

#30 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just a link to drunkjedi's post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 353#986353

mikesLr

sindi

Reverse tethering of iPhone to Puppy via USB cable

#31 Post by sindi »

iPhone 4S which I 'restored' to iOS 9.3.5 in order to remove password, using a 2006 Mac laptop from the friend who gave me the iphone. The itunes on there worked.

Dead wifi on this Verizon CDMA/GSM phone, which works with AT&T SIM (for voice and text) because updates starting with iOS 8 bulk unlocked Verizon iPhone 4S's.

Data will not work unless some settings are edited (and AT&T MMS will not work at all with this MVNO but who cares). This phone/iOS, unlike an old AT&T flip phone, will not let you edit the network settings manually. (Or does someone know how to do that?)

Airvoice sent a link to download some file which adjusts the settings (adds Airvoice internet). I am supposed to download the file via wifi, which is broken. So I am looking for a way to connect to internet.

I found lots of instructions for tethering laptop to phone to use phone internet on laptop, and a few for the reverse (with Windows or Mac, some requiring itunes). Reverse tethering (with XP) requires wifi, or if you use a Mac, that you jailbreak the phone and install some apps.

I have never jailbroken an iPhone and I suspect it would be difficult without internet access.

Is there some way to share Puppy (lucid 5.25, 2016, tahr, etc.) internet connection (which is via wifi or ethernet) with the phone via USB?

Can I download the required settings file to Puppy then copy to the iphone via the cable? Will iphones even do USB file transfer?

Maybe I can download the file using itunes and transfer it via Mac laptop?

I found instructions for fixing the greyed-out wifi, but none of the software fixes worked. I do not want to take the phone apart to check for broken and risk killing what does work, since it is most likely the wifi radio that went bad. The CDMA and GSM radios work.

I am trying to set this up for my partner and am not familiar with iphones. He seems happy to just use it for texting and to play with the nice camera but I am stubborn. All suggestions welcome

mikeslr

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Hi sindi,

I don't know anything about iphones or camphonetab, but maybe there's something on the camphonetab's thread will be helpful: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 561#881561

sindi

Fixed iphone 4S wifi with a hairdryer (known software bug)

#33 Post by sindi »

Airvoice said Apple would have the Airvoice network settings and instructions for manual setup. Apple said to call Airvoice and there was no manual setup. So I researched 'greyed-out wifi iphone 4S fix' and learned that the iOS 7 update had a bug which affected the wifi switch. I had to update the phone to remove the password and also to get the Verizon bulk unlock (iOS 8). iOS 9.3.5 still had no manual setup.

The fix was to turn off auto-lock (so you could keep reading the screen more than the default 30 seconds), heat the front of the phone with a hairdryer until it complained of temperature problems, put in a sealed plastic box (or ziplock bag) in freezer for 15 minutes, remove, bring to room temperature, and wifi was then working. People say it continues to work. (Just freezer treatment without heat is only temporary), but I quickly downloaded the configuration file via wifi and data now works.

Apple of course had no information about any of this.

Another bug, with AT&T, is you cannot turn off call forwarding. When you get the error message, go to dial screen, ##002# and CALL to reset the forwarding setting, phone off, wait 10 sec, phone on. Repeat whenever you want to turn off call forwarding. At least the phone boots pretty quickly (5 seconds slower than with previous update, and there was a class action suit against Apple for slowing down the phone with forced updates to make people buy a new phone). I recommend the Verizon phone for use with AT&T because it has unlocked GSM radio (put into the phone for use overseas, had to be unlocked to use with US companies). $20 on ebay buy-it-now. 8MP camera, good sound, etc. There should be lots of the Verizon ones around since July 1 when Verizon stopped activating pre-2015 phones.

There is no way to install linux to iphones. Yet.

Thanks for the suggested link. I won't get into iPhone tethering yet.
The phone is for my partner, who only wanted weather radar and maps while biking.