Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Macpup 529
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 7 of 13 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Barburo

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012, 14:40    Post_subject: Chromium Browser  

I was able to get Chromium browser working in Macpup528.
My attempts for 529 have not worked yet. Is there a .pet available or has anyone else done this yet?

I used puppy package manager and activated the universe repository and downloaded the headers.
Rebooted and found that there was a version (20) of chromium browser that I installed (slow download from ibiblio).
It told me that there was a cups library dependency missing.
I continued anyway but when I tried to run l got "cannot run as root" message.
Googled the problem and found that using this form of the command to start chromium:
chromium-browser --user-data-dir
solved the "cannot run as root" problem.
It still would not run so I used a terminal and got other messages about the sandbox not being the right mode (2477 or something like that).
I cant remember the exact message but it's getting too technical for me to take any further.
Anyone able to help?
B.

runtt21

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 05:53    Post_subject: Re: Can you reorganize Macpup information?  

Barburo wrote:
I would love to be able to go to your own site: macpup.org and find all of the information organized about all the macpups, samples of e17 themes, hints, downloads, release notes etc. all in one place. (Something like www.lhpup.org is what I'm imagining).

Also I'm a little confused as to why you have your own separate forum - isn't that a bit of a duplication? I'm having to cross-post.

B.

That is why we have our own forum. We have organized everything there. And if it isn't posted on our forum we have links to all the relevant stuff.

"samples of e17 themes, hints, downloads, release notes etc." it's already there.

Please don't cross post. I am not online all day . Stay calm, when i get online I will try to help. I have a Job,family,house and a ton of other problems that I am working on at the same time.

Until some of the browser guys make a .pet of chromium for precise I can't do much about this.

I don't do jwm themes.Sorry, But there are a ton of them on this forum.
backi

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 13:11    Post_subject:  

Hi barburo !

Maybe try http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80019
Google Chrome 21 Slacko .
Does work on dpupExprimo maybe works for you .
dogbert0360

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct 2012, 01:21    Post_subject: Nvidia drivers for macpup 529  

Are there any nvidia drivers that will work with macpup 529.

When I tried to use PPM to search for them I was given the choice of nvidia 304 but this is for k3.2.29 or something like that.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct 2012, 03:50    Post_subject: Re: Nvidia drivers for macpup 529  

dogbert0360 wrote:
Are there any nvidia drivers that will work with macpup 529.

When I tried to use PPM to search for them I was given the choice of nvidia 304 but this is for k3.2.29 or something like that.

Yes.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=647460#647460

I use the same driver on my rig

Code:
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT]
           X.Org: 1.12.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz

In Quickpet->drivers tab->Click here to test your graphics card
dogbert0360

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:52    Post_subject:  

(@ rokytnji)
What proprietary nvidia driver are you using? Is there one in the repo's other than 304?

If there is then I will update my repo's so that I can use them.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2012, 17:58    Post_subject:  

noveau is not a proprietary driver. It is open source. driver. Go to Wizard Wizard. Configure xorg. Exit X to go to
Code:
xorgwizard
. Pick Choose. Nvidia noveau will be in there.
vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 18:35    Post_subject:  

There is now Precise 5.4.1. Will a Macpup 5.4.1 be released?
Barburo

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov 2012, 21:34    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Macpup529

I went traveling recently with my laptop and logged in to various airport and condo wifi connections.
On return home I found two difficulties with the macpup 529 wifi connectivity through my home lan:
- I had to try several times each login to get connected using the Network Wizard - it sometimes told me I was connected when I wasn't.
- The connection wouldn't persist from session to session.

...so I installed this version of frisbee (from the Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.1beta1thread) and it works and reconnects me every time I reboot!
I simply installed the .pet and it reconnects me - I did not have to make any changes to start-up scripts.
The xpupsay part shows the pup logo for connectivity messages which I find a bit cute but I'll live with it. (There may be a .pet for frisbee without xpupsay).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=59213

As 529 is based on Precise I have been trying to get various packages to work by looking for versions from the repositories or elsewhere.
I wanted to get gkrellm working and found that this version of version 2.3.4 by tuuxxx works with 529.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=25052

I got the gkrellkam .deb file from here that works with this version of gkrellm.
http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-universe-i386/gkrellkam_2.0.0-1_i386.deb.html

I am still trying to get chrome browser to work in 529 but nothing yet.

B.

peebee

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov 2012, 08:15    Post_subject: Re: Chromium Browser  

Barburo wrote:
My attempts for 529 have not worked yet. Is there a .pet available or has anyone else done this yet?

Hi Barburo

Try:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351

I think (not tested!) Chromium25 should run OK on Macpup 529 as its based on Precise.

Cheers
peebee

Barburo

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov 2012, 13:34    Post_subject:  

Thanks peebee.
Chromium v25 from .pet works fine!

edit: Chromium icon doesn't show up in menu - and I cannot determine where to set it.
B.

runtt21

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov 2012, 17:40    Post_subject:  

Make sure it has a .desktop file in /use/share/application
Barburo

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov 2012, 18:47    Post_subject:  

Thanks runtt21 ... the chromium icon just needed to be copied to usr/share/icons

B.

Barburo

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 15:32    Post_subject:  

Runtt21,
There has not been much activity on this thread lately so I was curious if you have any idea how many users you have for Macpup 529?

I use it because it comes up faster than any other Puppy on all my laptops and desktops, and it's a speedy performer.
You stress it's a development version - seems pretty stable to me - plus as it's based on Precise, it has a long term future. Any plans to move it to production release?

Thanks for your work on this one - hope you're having a good holiday season down there in Texas.
B.

runtt21

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 16:32    Post_subject:  

About three weeks ago my Toshiba died on me. I will probably get it fixed later in January. But that is why I haven't been doing a lot , plus I work in retail and this is a super busy time for us. So when I am home I try to rest as much as I can. I have compiled a new version of EFL but they have advanced way beyond that . I am watching both the development of precise and e . Both are moving rapidly. I am concerned about the black screen issue with the newer builds of precise and slacko. I have several new themes I just need to finish . I did get a new laptop but I don't have anything setup on it yet. I don't plan on doing anything major until after the first of the year.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 13 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum