Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 26 Jul 2014, 09:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
How to get your card reader and its SD card back to life
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
FeodorF

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012, 20:33    Post subject:  How to get your card reader and its SD card back to life
Subject description: First aid for your PC hardware

Hello everybody!

Have you ever heard 'our' new slogan?

'If you are going to use Puppy Linux for some some years, make sure you have some WD-40 spray at home!'.

What that is all about?

Well, it took me two days to find out why my Precise Puppy 5.4.1 wouldn't work on my card reader.
I had pluged and unpluged the mini usb connector and the SD card 'many' times while trying to get that son of a bitch back to work.

No go!

I was ready to throw it into the trash - fortunatelly I didn't do so. Instead I took the plastik cover off and
checked the inside while I firmly connected cable and card to the reader. It started working for some moments
and failed again.

Ah! Got You! The connectors didn't connect propperly - both sides. I decided to give my WD-40 spray a try.
Yeah! Great stuff that WD-40. (We used it very often on our 'Key Telefon Systems' to get them back to work.)

Card reader works fine again.

Regards
Feodor
boof

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 00:06    Post subject:  

I don't doubt it works, but AFAIR WD40 is an insulator...... of points anyway.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 00:21    Post subject:  

Nope, oil and grease work very well to facilitate static connections and protect them from corrosion (passivate them.) Not so well on moving contacts, apparently because the movement forms a film of oil between the contacts, and, as you note, oil is a very good insulator in addition to being a good lubricant.

If you have some WD-40, try it on your card reader contacts. What have you got to lose? Just spray a bit on the exposed contacts that will be easy to wipe off, and plug it in. It shouldn't be dripping, though that really wouldn't cause a problem.
Barkin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 02:10    Post subject:  

I'd try rubbing (polishing) the contacts with a lint-free cloth first, before adding any chemicals which could damage (soften) plastic ...

Quote:
Q. What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

A ... Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#a98

There is a gadget cleaning the connectors in the SD slot, it looks like a bit of plastic shaped like an elongated SD card which you wrap in the "microfibre" cloth used to clean lenses ...
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130687096936?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-CAMERA-CANON-MMC-SD-MEMORY-CARD-SLOT-CLEANER-/5755301696
SD slot cleneaner 'kit -'.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   6.85 KB
 Viewed   462 Time(s)

SD slot cleneaner 'kit -'.JPG

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: