setup

Please post any bugs you have found
NETTKNUT

setup

#1 Post by NETTKNUT »

I am using Slacko 5.3. When I click on the 'setup' icon there is no response; how do I fix this trouble? Any help welcome.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I no longer have Slacko 5.3. But in Slacko 5.3.3, that icon runs /usr/sbin/wizardwizard. It then runs /usr/local/bin/PupControl.

1. Run those two commands from a terminal. Do they work?

2. Boot off your Slacko Live CD using the "puppy pfix=ram" option. Does the Setup icon now work?

NETTKNUT

setup

#3 Post by NETTKNUT »

Thanks to rcrsn51. I tried the two commands you suggested but without success but success was achieved when I booted up with pfix=ram.
I looked in the /usr/local/bin directory for PupControl but it was missing. How do I restore it?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

In Slacko 533, /usr/local/bin/PupControl is a link into a whole folder of stuff named /usr/local/PupControl.

You could boot off the Live CD, copy the missing content to a flash drive, then copy it back into your install.

But I would be more concerned about what other corruption your install may have suffered. Personally, I would start a fresh install.

NETTKNUT

setup

#5 Post by NETTKNUT »

To rcrsn51. Thanks for your reply. Yes, reinstalling is the answer. As it happens I have been intending to upgrade to 5.3.3 for some time but most of my time at present goes on a dispute with an insurance company. When that is over I'll be able to sort out my machine.