H-P laptop sound problem with any Linux I've tried

Booting, installing, newbie
puppystruk

H-P laptop sound problem with any Linux I've tried

#1 Post by puppystruk »

Just joined so I hope I'm posting this in correct area. I'm having a sound issue with my HP dv6-2151cl laptop in that when I boot a puppy distro (or any linux for that matter) the speakers begin emitting a crackling noise that transitions to a high pitched whine like feed back. It will not stop until the O.S. is shutdown. I've tried every distro of Puppy, Ubuntu, Mint and a couple of Debian flavors to no avail. I think the sound system is some kind of Altec Lansing. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction on this because I'm anxious to try linux in a dual boot or run Puppy from a USB flash drive. I even tried to use Virtual Box, but with the same results. Also tried 64 bit version on a live CD, same problem. Hopefully there are some drivers out there I've not been able find yet.

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Actually it might help to tell us exactly which version of Puppy you tried, and how you tried it. Did you burn a live CD and then boot the CD and this immediately happened before you did any configuring?

puppystruk

#3 Post by puppystruk »

Thanks Flash, I tried Saluki 023 and Carolina 003 both from live CD. No config. A minute or so after the desktop starts the sound system begins crackling and squealing. This was also the same with Mint 13 and knopix also from a live CD. It's something common to all those distros. Default drivers maybe?

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

I remember that type of behavior on another laptop I had, not HP, that was a driver conflict between the sound card driver and the Ethernet card driver.
That laptop manufacturer released a patch that cured the problem.
Other than that, I cannot help you other than suggesting you do a web search for the specific problem you are having.

postfs1

#5 Post by postfs1 »

[1]Options of booting:

puppy pfix=nox,ram

[2]In command prompt:

alsamixer -c 0 --view=all

[3]In ALSAMIXER(keyboard buttons):

F6 ;
Esc ;
Esc

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Does the laptop have a built-in microphone?

puppystruk

#7 Post by puppystruk »

Thanks Postfs1. I'll try numbers 2 & 3, but not sure how to do the first option from the live CD.

Flash, yes it does have a built in mic. I placed my finger over it, but it had no effect.

postfs1

#8 Post by postfs1 »

postfs1 wrote:[1]Options of booting:

puppy pfix=nox,ram
User has an opportunity to launch the Operating System with some additional parameters.
In Puppy Linux world, the line, which can be filled by user before loading of main set of system programs, usually appears together with the logo of Operating System, what is the sign that the first step of launch of Operating System is done.

pfix=nox,ram ---> Puppy Linux will be installed into ram and there will be no request to execute the adjustment of video card.