Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 23:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 54 of 113 [1683 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, ..., 111, 112, 113 Next
nooby

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 04:24    Post subject:  

Can ConnochaetOS be installed frugal or
does it have to be full install?

Godano made it possible for frugal.
Sad that he lost all of his code due to no backup.

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2012, 07:38    Post subject:  

I installed slackware 14, but so far no luck to getting it to boot. I am probably going to wait until slacko 5.4 stable before adding it to my multiboot usb drive to get slackware to boot. I am not really in a rush to boot into it.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2012, 07:54    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Can ConnochaetOS be installed frugal or
does it have to be full install?

Godano made it possible for frugal.
Sad that he lost all of his code due to no backup.

I think it has to be a full install, but I'm not sure - the ConnochaetOS forum is probably the best place to ask.

A quick update; just tested the alpha release of AntiX 12.5, and it's looking good, as is the latest release of Absolute except for the lack of package / dependency handling - a common fault with Slack-based distros but one Salix has managed to overcome (and I think Zenwalk too).

Monsie

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 03:45    Post subject: Other Distros  

I see that the fourth Alpha release of Haiku is out today... and over 1000 bugs have been fixed since Alpha release three. Supposedly, it is a stable enough platform now for third party developers.

Apparently, it will run on as little as 128 mb of ram... and has been tested on a Pentium ll @400mhz --sound familiar? Wink

Has anyone besides sneekylinux had a go at trying this distro? Colonel Panic?

Monsie

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 16:55    Post subject: Re: Other Distros  

Monsie wrote:
I see that the fourth Alpha release of Haiku is out today... and over 1000 bugs have been fixed since Alpha release three. Supposedly, it is a stable enough platform now for third party developers.

Apparently, it will run on as little as 128 mb of ram... and has been tested on a Pentium ll @400mhz --sound familiar? Wink

Has anyone besides sneekylinux had a go at trying this distro? Colonel Panic?

Monsie

Hi,

No, I'm still using Mint, which looks pretty good right now. I may consider Haiku in the future though.

James C

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 06:55    Post subject:  

Just discovered that NimbleX is back after a period of inactivity. NimbleX 2012 Beta......
http://forum.nimblex.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4166

Just gave it a quick live run....not bad. Full KDE4 with most everything included,newer up to date kernel and no, it's not 200 mb anymore. Laughing
nooby

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 09:04    Post subject:  

Cool thanks for telling us. As I get it?
Nimblex where a kind of Slax or Slackware
with a personal touch? How does it work
compared to Proteus and other Slax versions?

stu91

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 13:46    Post subject:  

Currently running Bodhi Linux 2.1.0 - a little disappointing imo 100+ mb increase in download size and 20-30mb increase in ram usage on my laptop from the previous version.

Been a while since i last tried crunchbang but think i will give that a go next.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 14:12    Post subject:  

stu91 wrote:
Currently running Bodhi Linux 2.1.0 - a little disappointing imo 100+ mb increase in download size and 20-30mb increase in ram usage on my laptop from the previous version.

Been a while since i last tried crunchbang but think i will give that a go next.

Good idea IMO; Crunchbang's a bit dark for my taste but you can change that and it works very well even on an older machine.

The latest one I've tried is Sabayon X (Xfce version); the download was ridiculously slow but when I finally got there I found it to be a good distro with attractive wallpaper.

James C

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 17:02    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Cool thanks for telling us. As I get it?
Nimblex where a kind of Slax or Slackware
with a personal touch? How does it work
compared to Proteus and other Slax versions?

All three are based on Slackware and use the Linux Live Scripts, or modified Linux Live Scripts in the case of Porteus. The previous versions of NimbleX were much smaller,200 mb or less, and mainly intended to run live or frugally.The newest Beta release is over 400 mb now.
I have no idea about running on NTFS though.... Smile
Bligh

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012, 00:05    Post subject:  

Has anyone tried Slax 7 ? I have it running on a Dell laptop 486.
Cheers
amigo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012, 05:58    Post subject:  

The *special* thing about NimbleX is that it lets you choose which programs to include in the iso you download. That means no more arguments about which text editor, browser, etc., should be included. No more need for all these derivatives which detract from the main release.
cowboy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012, 08:49    Post subject: word  

_redacted.
stu91

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:08    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
stu91 wrote:

Good idea IMO; Crunchbang's a bit dark for my taste but you can change that and it works very well even on an older machine.

The latest one I've tried is Sabayon X (Xfce version); the download was ridiculously slow but when I finally got there I found it to be a good distro with attractive wallpaper.

Yes its been a while since i last used Crunchbang (pre puppy) if i remember it was pretty much all black.

Decided to crunchify Bodhi - base ram usage is about 75mb now so not to shabby, think i will leave it installed for a bit Very Happy

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:12    Post subject:  

stu91 wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
stu91 wrote:

Yes its been a while since i last used Crunchbang (pre puppy) if i remember it was pretty much all black.

Decided to crunchify Bodhi - base ram usage is about 75mb now so not to shabby, think i will leave it installed for a bit Very Happy

That looks really good. Love the wallpaper. Solar eclipse, a recent one?

Also, is that Conky in the background? I like the config there.

Page 54 of 113 [1683 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, ..., 111, 112, 113 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: