Come into Forum from a Google search -Login problem

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
tytower

Come into Forum from a Google search -Login problem

#1 Post by tytower »

I had occasion to come in from a search
ended up here
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 3ba69d37c0
Now when I got on that page it showed I was not logged in and in fact I was . Did this repeatedly.

So OK I log in again and instead of taking me to the post I was looking at it took me back to the forum index

Most annoying as the post I was trying to get to was buried a mile deep in the topics

When doing this I could not edit the posts -see above . The edits when saved were there but did not show on the forum page??
Last edited by tytower on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

My guess is that the forum software doesn't recognize the URL your google search came up with as a proper forum URL for login purposes, so it won't let you do the things you want. Try using the forum Search feature instead and see if it works. Just enter the title of the thread Google found, but type it, don't copy and paste.

L18L

Re: Come into Forum from a Google search -Login problem

#3 Post by L18L »

tytower wrote:... and instead of taking me to the post I was looking at it took me back to the forum index..
That is usual behavior.
After having logged in I am always at the forum index
I am used to go back to where I want by
- clicking back button of browser twice
- and then reload current page

tytower

Re: Come into Forum from a Google search -Login problem

#4 Post by tytower »

L18L wrote:
tytower wrote:... and instead of taking me to the post I was looking at it took me back to the forum index..
That is usual behavior.
After having logged in I am always at the forum index
I am used to go back to where I want by
- clicking back button of browser twice
- and then reload current page
Yes but the point is when you do this you are shown as not logged in and when you log in you go back to the index ad infinitum.

Reload current page does not change this for me.
Last edited by tytower on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.

tytower

#5 Post by tytower »

Flash wrote:My guess is that the forum software doesn't recognize the URL your google search came up with as a proper forum URL for login purposes, so it won't let you do the things you want. Try using the forum Search feature instead and see if it works. Just enter the title of the thread Google found, but type it, don't copy and paste.
? The google search places me on the page that I have found.
However it shows me as not logged in . What do you mean by "for login purposes"?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

When I click on the link in your first post, I am also not able to do anything with a post. If I enter the title of the thread, No touchpad on new Precise install, into the forum Search along with the name of the OP, Cushie, and the section of the forum, Beginners, I get the same URL as you got from Google. :?

If I change the 208.109.22.214 part of the URL to read murga-linux.com instead, and remove all the junk that comes after 661983, then it works fine. I don't know where the different URL came from.

So try this: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=661983

tytower

#7 Post by tytower »

OK so basically you are agreeing with me that this is happening and that there are ways to get round it , Fine.

However I posted this in "SUGGESTIONS" so that it might be looked at and possibly FIXED.

Some clown has moved that post to "taking the thing for a walk " which is completely STUPID

Adagio

#8 Post by Adagio »

Some clown has moved that post to "taking the thing for a walk "
LOL

How to win friends and get co-operation. NOT.

I'm going to take my thing for a walk now.
Bye.