Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 08:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
iPhone USB internet tethering
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov 2010, 21:45    Post_subject:  iPhone USB internet tethering  

UPDATE Jan 19 2012:
I have upgraded this package with the latest development version of libimobiledevice. "i-devices" running the recently-released iOS 5 are now supported. In theory, this includes the latest iPhone 4S and iPad 2 models.
As always, YMMV.

Tethering an iPhone to a Linux computer for mobile internet access requires the "ipheth" kernel module, plus some udev rules, plus the libimobiledevice libraries.

The libimobiledevice libraries are the same that I provided as part of the gtkpod 2.0.2 package -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59183

Now attached is a smaller set of those libraries, plus the ipheth kernel module compatible for Puppy 5.1/5.2.x with the 2.6.33.2 kernel.
Kernel modules are compiled for specific kernel versions, so obviously this module won't work with other Puppy versions.

Install the ipheth dotpet, then reboot.
Connect your iPhone to Puppy via USB. Puppy should automatically load the ipheth kernel module, run the usbmuxd daemon, and run the ipheth-pair utility.
You should check by opening /var/log/messages in Geany, or run the "dmesg" command.
If all worked well you should now see a new interface in the Network Wizard.

The source code is from
http://giagio.com/wiki/moin.cgi/iPhoneEthernetDriver
and
http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
ipheth-Jan-2012-k2.6.33.2.pet
Description  for Puppy Lucid 5.1 - 5.2.8
pet

Download 
Filename  ipheth-Jan-2012-k2.6.33.2.pet 
Filesize  272.35 KB 
Downloaded  899 Time(s) 

Edited_times_total
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 00:43    Post_subject:  

Oops, I just discovered an error with this package - the usbmuxd daemon needs to be running before the ipheth-pair utility can work. I have now added the appropriate udev rule.
Can the 2 people who already downloaded this package please download and install again.
ant222

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 07:52    Post_subject:  

Hereby I confirm that this works with Lucid Puppy 5.2
aarf

PostPosted: Sat 21 May 2011, 01:49    Post_subject:  

http://techland.time.com/2011/02/03/atts-hotspot-app-share-your-smartphones-web-connection/

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
NerdWithNoLife

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 07:34    Post_subject:  

A question, and perhaps an update: I've had problems with this on 5.1.1 and PdaNet. I once had umux2007 successfully tethering under Ubuntu. But this particular machine would feel the bloat; Puppy is the way to go.

Anyway, PdaNet has gone to a newer (paid) version now. I type in usbmuxd. The device is listed under the Network Setup, but fails the first step, being unable to connect to a live network. dmesg | grep ipheth reports the phone is connected and the device is loaded.

Also I'm running iOS 4.2.1. But for some mysterious reason, it's not working. Just wondering if others are experiencing a similar issue.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 07:54    Post_subject:  

UPDATE July 08, 2011:
I just updated the ipheth dotpet package in the first post with the latest libusb/libplist/usbmuxd/libimobiledevice libraries to be compatible with the just-updated gtkpod v2.0.2 package.
udev configuration has been improved so that the usbmuxd daemon should now automatically launch when a compatible iPhone device is plugged in.
NerdWithNoLife

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:06    Post_subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
usbmuxd daemon should now automatically launch when a compatible iPhone device is plugged in.

It did and the device appeared automatically on 5.1.1. However, puppy was unable to find a live network for me, so it may not work in my case.

I'd like to thank everyone who works on puppy - and tempestuous specifically (there are many helpful networking related posts by you). All one has to do is boot that puppy up to see how impressive it is. What a well supported community!

Update: So now the device is recognized and Puppy reports a live network. It's just the DHCP that's not getting through. I believe this is an issue with additional authentication due to PdaNet's new paid service. (On the windows machine I'm currently using I noticed it checking a password or something). It's a good bet that ipheth has been doing everything right on its end.

Thus my contingency plan is to try to create a Wifi hotspot and connect that way with either my WPC54Gv2 or MN-520 pcmcia card. Not an easy task, but that's for another thread.
NerdWithNoLife

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jul 2011, 14:48    Post_subject:  

Found a workaround using this guide. It bypasses any app in particular, using SSH (jailbroken phone obviously) and a proxy on Firefox/SeaMonkey's end.

Having the pet above installed (THANKS MUCH for providing it!) I had no issues with any of the commands mentioned.
ivota

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2012, 05:13    Post_subject:  

Hello @tempestuous
Thanks for topic.
I have problem with pair Iphone.
I run ipheth-pair, then I got ipheth-pair error :4 cannot pair.
desmg show iphone was detected.
I have Iphone 3GS sw5.01, no jailbreak.

any solutions? thanks
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 00:10    Post_subject:  

ivota wrote:
sw5.01

Apple is constantly updating the firmware in their devices to block access by third-party applications.
It appears that with the release of iOS 5 they have, once again, blocked access by Linux drivers and libraries ...
but it appears that the latest development version of libimobiledevice may fix the problem.

ivota, I have sent you a private message.
ivota

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan 2012, 16:35    Post_subject:  

thank you so much
It is working.
Thanks a lot.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2012, 00:17    Post_subject:  

I have just upgraded this package with the latest development version of libimobiledevice.
iOS 5-equipped devices are now supported, including (in theory) the latest iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
MrDurtal

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012, 03:34    Post_subject: Puppy Linux 5.2.8 on iPhone 5  

Works fine on PL 5.2.8 and iPhone 5...thanks for the hard work.
Nirju_u

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2012, 07:44    Post_subject: How to install usbmuxd daemon
Sub_title: Need help in installing usbmuxd daemon which is a tar file in puppy Linux

Hello, I am very new to Linux. I have a copy of pupy Linux 5.1.1. I plan to use iPhone 3GS tethering to browse the Internet. I installed ipheth dotpet after which puppy Linux is able to detect iPhone live network using the simple network wizard. How ever I am not able to browse the internet. I read in this thread that I should install usbmuxd daemon, however I do not know how to install it since its a tar file. I did not find any instructions as to how to Install tar files. Please help me.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2012, 10:55    Post_subject:  

No need to install usbmuxd, my ipheth dotpet already includes it.
And since Puppy is able to detect the phone, it must be working.

Nirju_u wrote:
I installed ipheth dotpet after which puppy Linux is able to detect iPhone live network using the simple network wizard.

Use the Network Wizard, not the Simple Network Wizard.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum