Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 01:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 26 of 48 [706 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
Jejy69

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 04:18    Post subject:  

Hello !

mikeslr, you can add a plugin to Lxpanel called "Minimize all windows", it does the same thing as "show desktop".
For the menu, I haven't the time to modify Openbox menu actually. It is in /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml
For your second bar, did you know you can change panel's background to transparent ? It can be aesthetic Smile

RayMk, thanks for your feedback, I'm glad it works on an old PC.

666Philb, I try to work on it, I have an issue, only Emerald doesn't work...
This is unfortunate, since all other compiz effects work. Confused

nufan, I hope you'll enjoy it !
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 11:41    Post subject: Re: Thanks for retro_lxpu (non-PAE precise)  

mikeslr wrote:
Any idea how someone could add a "Showdesktop" launcher to an lxpanel?

Right-click the panel, click Panel Configuration or Panel Settings, in the Panel Applets tab click Add and look for the Minimize All Windows plugin, if you don't find it install the attached .pet (please confirm that it works), add it and move it to the place you want it to appear in. You should have an icon as in the attached picture (the one on the right of the Wine icon), right-click it and check the box "Alternate between minimize/rise/iconify" so that you can raise windows again by clicking that icon instead of clicking each window on the taskbar.
lxpanel_plugins-0.5.8-002.pet
Description  Plugins for Lxpanel including Minimize button and CPU monitor.
Install only if you don't have all Lxpanel plugins.
pet

Download 
Filename  lxpanel_plugins-0.5.8-002.pet 
Filesize  107.56 KB 
Downloaded  361 Time(s) 
image-6.png
 Description   
 Filesize   6.86 KB
 Viewed   1652 Time(s)

image-6.png

metaldog

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 15:20    Post subject:  

Hello all,

firstly well done Jejy69 on a N-I-C-E puppy and superb website.
excellent repos and search manager.
i have a problem with pcmanfm/thunar; i cant get any videothumbnailers working. if i can get that working on LXPUP - or any other puppy come to that - i'll be in dog heaven.
edit: ive tried XFCE/thunarthumbs with ffmpegthumbs, which works on command line but isnt reflected in thunar. tried the PPM repos and not much joy.

cheers
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov 2012, 16:06    Post subject: LxPup Customization  

Hi Jejy69 & vicmz,

Thanks jely69 for the customization tip. It was there. I just didn't see it when I first explored panel settings. You're right, transparent is more aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks vicmz for the pet. Works great and was needed.

Edit: Thanks again vicmz. Exploring your pet, I discovered that among the plug-ins it added was a lauch-bar. Adding it to the taskbar enabled me to move some of the launchers from the side-panel to the taskbar. So now, except for custom selection of icons, LxPup is almost exactly how I like my desktop to look and function.

mikeslr
mandibule2005

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov 2012, 02:42    Post subject: link  

hello

Can you send me the link for your french forum
Thanks
pchan

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2012, 02:44    Post subject: Re: Compiz-fusion  

mandibule2005 wrote:
Hello Pchan take a look there [/url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=823456693&t=61630[url] it may help[/url]

After some test i was able to have beryl and emerald on lxpup
on a very old nvidia card but these 2 files will need tweaking from Jejy69.

On a live boot , install the 2 files say yes to beryl message
after ctrl+alt+backspace type xorgwizard choose , i choose nouveau
nvidia the resolution and type xwin ,beryl and emerald should be there , as you can see there is the precise icons on the desktop
but you can still play with compiz and emerald after a save file
i was capable to start it back right click on the red diamond and Select Window manager and beryl.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=508902&search_id=2065105907#508902
Go to this site download python_for_CCSM-2.pet for lucid and
Beryl-0.2.1-9-SINGLE_GO-p43nl5-i686.pet
good luck let me know if you have success.

mandibule2005, Thanks

The problem for me is I need xorg high which is available for lupu but not for precise. I don't think nvidia driver is suitable for me. In the case of slacko, Mensa high driver was working for my netbook. But in precise pakage manager i can only see "z_mensa" and I am not sure if that is the same.

Without video driver for high resolution video, I don't see how I can install compiz.

Like someone who posted earlier, I have come to also love LXDE a lot. The ability to create an extra panel for favourite programs is so helpful. I didn't need to install wbar because the hidden panel is more convenient as it can be access from anywhere without having to return to the desktop.

If someone can point me to the correct high resolution video driver that works for my acer one happy2 netbook, and if compiz can be made to work with LXDE I would be very happy.

Jey69,

Although I love Lxde, it is so good to feel that I can anytime switch to KDE, XFCE4.10, cinnamon, gnome Mate. I also like to thank you for the non-pae Retro_Lxpup version. I am using it now and it works very well.

I think Barry K has updated Precise to 5.4.1, I am not sure what are the changes and improvements.
pchan

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 11:41    Post subject:  

Jey69,

A Big Thanks!

I forgot to report that with the retro_Lxpup non Pae, SCIM Japanese text input works and I can use it in Leafpad, Geany, Abiwords, Chrome Browser etc.

Great Work!

So, I haven't been using Windows 7 for quite a while now because Retro_Lxpup is so fun to use!
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2012, 15:24    Post subject: Chromium 25  

Chromium 25 in both pet and sfs formats for Lxpup is available from:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351&start=8

mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 17:56    Post subject: Creating symlinks with PCMan 1.01  

Hi Jejy69 & All,

Since I explore various Puppies and use firefox, I find it convenient to have firefox's configuration and cache files and bookmarks in a separate folder on my home partition, symlinking that folder to the place where firefox expects to find them, namely a hidden folder named .mozilla located in / also called Root. To set that up the first time in a Puppy using Rox as its file manager, I simply opened two Rox windows with hidden files showing: one to / and the other to a folder I named browsers on mnt/home. I then dragged .mozilla from / to /mnt/home/browers and selected "move" then dragged it back to / and selected "Link Relative." In subsequent Puppies, I merely deleted .mozilla from / and dragged .mozilla from /mnt/home/browsers to / and selected "Link Relative."
That didn't work in retro-lxpup; neither using PCMan nor Rox. Neither offered the choice to symlink files or folders. Right-clicking a blank space in a folder using PCMan offered the option to create a shortcut, but it appeared only to pertain to executables, not folders.
The top posts which showed up by googling "PCMan create symlink" failed to reveal a solution, indicating rather than the symlink function might not have been included in PCMan 1.01, which is the version used in retro-lxpup. I didn't check further as, having played with xonclock I thought I knew of a work-around. It's not elegant, but it does work.

Since right-clicking a blank space in a folder does not offer the option "Open a terminal here"
1. To create a symlink open a terminal program such as Shell Utilities>LXTerminal.

2. Cd to the folder containing the folder or file you want to symlink to, for example:
cd /initrd/mnt/dev_save/browers

As mentioned above the desired folder, .mozilla, was located in the browser folder.

3. Open a file-browser to /root, show hidden files, and, if its there, rename .mozilla to .mozillaA

This is just a safety step. Firefox needs .mozilla so if anything goes wrong you can change it back and still use firefox. If things work, you can delete .mozillaA

4. create a symlink of the desired file/folder to the folder where you want it, Code:

ln -s .mozilla /root/.mozilla

with .mozilla being the original file, and /root/.mozilla being its symlink
in /root.

5. Open (or bring up) the file-browser in /root with hidden files showing and see if the .mozilla now appears. If so, delete .mozillaA.

Anyone knowing a simpler method, please chime in.

mikesLr
smil99

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 18:59    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Quote:
... Neither offered the choice to symlink files or folders ...

Have you tried opening two Rox windows (one being 'root' and the other your '/mnt/home/browsers')?. Here, I am presented with the 'copy/move/link (relative)/link (absolute)' options when I drag either a file or folder (both hidden and visible) from one Rox window to another and it works.

Cheers.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 20:41    Post subject: Symlinking using Rox didn't work in retro-lxpup (Solved)  

smil99,

Yes, I tried that before I posted. And was surprised that Rox didn't work as using Rox had been my easy way to create symlinks in Saluki whose default filemanager is Thunar. But just to be sure, after reading your post, I've tried it again making certain that I opened Rox twice by clicking menu>Filesystem>File Managers>Rox-Filer file manager.

I'm using retro-lxpup. Is that the Puplet you're using? Also check to see if PCMan's Help file "About" indicates that its version 1.0.1. Version 1, I understand, worked as expected.

mikesLr

P.S. Solved per smil99's instructions below. Thanks smil99

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 16 Nov 2012, 14:14; edited 1 time in total
smil99

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 05:50    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr,
I just remembered that retro-lxpup shipped with Rox command linked to PCMan. This means when you click Rox, it is PCMan that rather opens! Rolling Eyes
Might be an oversight ....

I corrected that by the following:
Inside /usr/local/bin/ you will find 'Rox' and 'rox'.
Rename 'rox' to say 'rox1' and then 'Rox' to 'rox'. This will make rox load whenever it is clicked.

Apparently, 'Rox' contains:
Code:
exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "$@"

whilst 'rox' contains:
Code:
exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm "$@"

Cheers.

Jejy69

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:22    Post subject:  

Hello all ! Smile

metaldog, thanks for your advice, I didn't know that Pcmanfm and Thunar support video thumbnails ? I will try to fix this.

mandibule2005, maybe this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76891 but I need to refresh it, since march...

pchan, Glad you success, glad you succeeded, sorry for not helping you.

peebee, thanks you, I'll refresh the website !

mikeslr and smil99, yes, I replaced rox by pcmanfm, but I forget to edit .desktop file... To launch rox, you must type "Rox", I didn't want to edit all Puppy applications and replace "rox" by "pcmanfm".

Thanks all !
cowboy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012, 08:40    Post subject: lxpup and precise version  

Jejy69,

I take up new distros with some caution; but, like mikeslr, I find myself booting into LXpup more and more frequently. I used a live CD version of the non-PAE Precise LXpup last night on my older Brookdale chip burdened HP Pavilion, and reached a desktop with no difficulty. Will post later with more testing, but, believe me, that's an accomplishment.

On that machine, I am unable to boot many versions of Ubuntu or even Linux Mint )unless I modify the grub settings) but I can boot up Lubuntu which runs the LXDE desktop. I've been hesitant about testing Precise on that machine, simply because I felt it might be a bridge too far for the chip involved and the 512MB of Ram, but LXpup seems to work.

One question - are the precise versions of LXpup based on Barry's 5.4 or have you updated to the released 5.4.1.? No hurries, just curious about which version we are based on currently. Thanks again for a remarkably capable derivative. All the best.

mufeed2012

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2012, 07:39    Post subject: LXDE Packages  

Hi Jejy69,
Could you please post the latest lxde packages?
Thanks.
Page 26 of 48 [706 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 46, 47, 48 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: