How to install Precise Puppy plus compiler & debugger?

Booting, installing, newbie
komarx6

How to install Precise Puppy plus compiler & debugger?

#1 Post by komarx6 »

I've asked few questions already.
It seems that as soon as I solve one problem I get another.

Here's what I need, I might want few other things, but this must be accomplished.
1.I want to install Precise based puppy to hard drive. I had problems with that (installing bootloader), but I solved it.

2. I want to install compiler and debugger. I tried two times to install devx_retroprecise_5.4.sfs after I installed puppy to hard drive. Both times I had to reinstall system. Installing devx takes to long and at the end it messes up my system. One time bottom panel and menu disappeared, and the other time icon on desktop were gone and replaced with warning sings, and fonts were also corrupted. I was able to see only squares instead of letters.
When I install devx in live session it finishes quickly and everything is OK. Is there A way to install it to hard drive.

3. I want codeblocks. I know I can accomplish this, but compiler and debugger are necessary condition.

So how to install compiler and debugger to hard drive without messing up my system?

rcrsn51

Re: OK, final question

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

komarx6 wrote:When I install devx in live session it finishes quickly and everything is OK. Is there A way to install it to hard drive.
1. Do you have a full or frugal install? Add-on sfs packages like the devx are designed to work with frugal installs.

2. Which Precise version do you have - the regular one or the retro?

komarx6

#3 Post by komarx6 »

I'm sorry, I'm new to puppy so Ididn't know some things. I have full and regular install. I downloaded regular devx, and I realized that problem is not in devx. But for my surprise, in codeblocks. I installed codeblocks with all dependencies through package manager in live session. And it worked well. But when I install codeblocks same way in full install mode (if I can call it that way) it messes up my font and icons.

It would be nice if I could install everything in live session and isntall that system as it is to hard drive. Is ti possible?

I must say that I have problems with saving session when I try to shutdown computer. It asks me if I want to save session, and I choose yes but nothing happens.

komarx6

#4 Post by komarx6 »

I could also try to install codeblocks from local .deb file (that's possible right), just need to install 2 dependencies. But I'm not so willing to try and than reinstall system again if something goes wrong.
So, again I say, if it's possible to install system to hard drive as it is in RAM during live session.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

First you need to be using Precise 5.4.1
Any version older than that has bugs.
Get it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4.1/

To load SFS files into Puppy full installs try this program.
sfs_load-1.9.6 on-the-fly
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
FULL install
It also works under FULL install. It installs the sfs as a pseudo-PET, like the sfs_installation by 01micko does.
It does not really make pet packages, but directly installs the files from the sfs skipping the files which conflict with the system.
NOTICE: Remove old PETs which may have files conflict with the SFS before installing the new SFS.
This is not exactly same as loading sfs under frugal install, but works safe and correctly in most case.
The pseudo-PET is listed on the Puppy Package Manager and can uninstall both from the sfs_load and from the PPM.
(Actually, the sfs_load calls the PPM as for uninstallation.)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

komarx6

#6 Post by komarx6 »

And how to remaster live cd without CD/DVD?

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Maybe the info here will explain.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349
AT the end of a remaster you get the option to burn it to a CD or just save it as a remastered Puppy iso file.
If you save it as a iso file it is like any other Puppy iso file.
An image file of the operating system.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

komarx6

#8 Post by komarx6 »

I had problem with grub bootloader config, After I make header it stops, it does not show next window where I should add linux partition.
Remastering program does the same, when I get message that he can't find CD and that I can save it to iso, I click OK and nothing happends.
Could that be bug you talk about?

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

komarx6 wrote:I had problem with grub bootloader config, After I make header it stops, it does not show next window where I should add linux partition.
Are you using the final version of Precise? In the early versions, GRUB Legacy Bootloader Config is broken.