Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#341 Post by Sage »

I believe you could accurately guess my opinion re. lite, el ! Except, perhaps, lite-r...

If there's any access problem or difficulty with the PPM at any time for any reason, Dillo will always provide a basic link to acquire something more comprehensive. Or Links/e-links?
Last edited by Sage on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

yr1945

#342 Post by yr1945 »

yes... my opinion is to keep it really "lite"... i like to add only apps that i will be using... THANKS...

KJ

lite?

#343 Post by KJ »

I agree as I use only a few of the apps in most puppies. If you keep the main .sfs tiny and add the glitz in the Adrive almost everyone can be happy. Thanks for all the time and hard work everyone has put into Carolina. KJ

yerc1

#344 Post by yerc1 »

another vote here for lite especially non-pae.

as well as bringing my pentium m laptop back to life, carolina non-pae lite (npl) led to my discovery of the awesome gnewpet utility.

i created pet packages in saluki and installed them in carolina npl - galculator, geany, abiword, gnumeric, aiksaurus, gcolor, gstpw, hardinfo, lsalarm, mhwaveedit, mtpaint, orage, pupcamera, remmina, ristretto.
each one of the 'gnewpetted' packages had libgphoto2 as dependency, so i was of the impression (and i could be wrong here) carolina npl's builtin list should include libgphoto2.

thanks for carolina

elroy

#345 Post by elroy »

Due to firmware issues, the new kernel will not be included in v.003. It's taking too long to sort the issues out; 003 has already been delayed, and to put it on hold indefinitely isn't productive at this point. And to release it with the new kernel issues sorted out wouldn't be desirable, either. We certainly don't want a repeat of what happened with v.001.

It sounds like more than a few of you are interested in the lite version, so instead of forking carolina to create a version that has the saluki default apps, perhaps it may be a better idea to split carolina into two separate versions - one for the current carolina that provides a usable OOTB experience (and Puppy introductory distro) intended for new users, and the other that is the lite version. Any objections to doing it that way?

Sage

#346 Post by Sage »

You're the boss!
If you decide to go ahead with lite, non-pae, it would be worthwhile your effort to lighten it as far as possible, accompanied by an explanatory start-up page (text is an inconsequential resource requirement).

Minnesota

Full or light version

#347 Post by Minnesota »

....."... one for the current carolina that provides a usable OOTB experience (and Puppy introductory distro) intended for new users, and the other that is the lite version...."

Just a vote for a complete version, more complete the better! Yes, I know it is big. Many folks have high speed internet and do not want to download a lot of extra. Most newer machines have tons of memory so that is not an issue either. If it is not to difficult to have both Lite and Full versions. I think this is most desirable. Wide range of users of Puppy!

Thanks,

okwellthen

adjust backlight - is there any way

#348 Post by okwellthen »

...noob question: is there a utility for adjusting backlighting (dimming) like you can in heavy weight distros????

thanks in advance

elroy

Re: adjust backlight - is there any way

#349 Post by elroy »

okwellthen wrote:...is there a utility for adjusting backlighting (dimming)
like you can in heavy weight distros????
Right click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen (depending on your setting, it'll either be a red, yellow or blue lightning bolt). In the popup that displays choose 'Hardware Control'. A dialog will show, and one of the tabs is 'Backlight'. From there you can adjust the setting.

okwellthen

Re: adjust backlight - is there any way

#350 Post by okwellthen »

elroy wrote:Right click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen (depending on your setting, it'll either be a red, yellow or blue lightning bolt). In the popup that displays choose 'Hardware Control'. A dialog will show, and one of the tabs is 'Backlight'. From there you can adjust the setting.
! very kind of you to answer, and so soon ! VERY EXCITED about that...

ONE MORE: [looking for pup that is very stable, decently configurable, for full time use] What kind of memory consumption with PAE should I be looking forward to (with Wine and VBox in mind)????

THANKS VERY MUCH!

elroy

Version 0.0.3 is available

#351 Post by elroy »

Carolina-0.0.3 is now available. See the first post on this thread for details, in the 'News' section, and download from 'Links'. If you already have an ISO of 002, Geoffrey has provided a tutorial for using the Xdelta utility to create the 003 ISO from the delta file. The delta file is a considerably smaller download than the ISO.

Minnesota

Desktop

#352 Post by Minnesota »

Puppy is a HAPPY, well designed and FUN OS!

How about a more upbeat desktop to greet a new user. The picture of night and full moon is very nice. But not as an advertisement for PUPPY.

Thanks

yr1945

#353 Post by yr1945 »

when you drag a menu item to the desktop... it removes the item from the menu... as i recall... this happened on an earlier version of Saluki, too... but, was eventually fixed... OVERALL, Carolina 003 works quite well for me... THANKS AGAIN for a job well done...

Billtoo

Carolina

#354 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive.

Carolina, version 003 on Sat 10 Nov 2012
Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 220/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.64
Direct Rendering Yes
Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Memory 4146MB (410MB used)

I had this set up on a pc which had intel graphics and could only get
vesa for a driver, that was okay for a lot of things but not my
favorite shoot'em up games.
I copied the carolina 003 directory to a flash drive and then copied
to the hard drive on this pc and installed the nvidia driver, it's
working good now :)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(36.9 KiB) Downloaded 1020 times

elroy

#355 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite-001 has been released. It now has it's own thread on the Puppy Derivatives forum. Carolina will be for newer users looking for a great OOTB experience, while 'lina-lite will be for power-users that want to tinker and customize as much as possible. Please direct any subject matter concerning the lite version on it's thread.

jpup

#356 Post by jpup »

Hi guys...

Thanks for the new releases

Got the standard lina 003 already loaded... been testing it since yesterday... no real troubles yet :D

Works great... I like the new changes, the mixer slider, the new panel plugins :D

weather update looks a lot better now :D

I think the new panel features really suit my desktop setup style :D

But what happened to the desktop notifications? they don't seem to have an entry in the control panel anymore... no notification pop ups either.

wireless works well, but I still have the same troubles with frisbee not being able to switch active interfaces, and the failed to set SSID error, since I also use an external usb wireless card (RTL8187).
SNS works well so far, no browsing issues.

Bluetooth works fine, had to install gnome bluetooth along with needed packages. ACPI tool hardware control is set to AIRPLANE mode whenever you turn bluetooth off... is that the normal behavior? Because sometimes airplane mode also blocks the wifi interfaces.

I get the same behavior with the networking ICON on the notification panel area like in 002... It selects whatever automatically when you right click... so you need to right click and hold to move through the menu entries.
right clicking with frisbee seems to work fine though.

Exit to prompt still gives me a black screen just like with lina 002 (gets fixed after installing ATI drivers), ATI - X conflict?

Panel sensor plugin doesn't seem to work... it says no sensors selected on the tooltip.
It doesn't give an option to select the sensors to display. it just shows acpi as sensor type in the preferences, but doesn't give you actual sensors to select with tick boxes.
On terminal... sensors seem to work fine though.

I'll also try and play with the light version later

Thank you guys :D

by the way... is there an app for HOT CORNERS workspace/windows switching?

jpup

carolina 003

#357 Post by jpup »

had a hard time installing my ATI drivers on lina 003

I keep getting extraction errors... I had to import a save file that came from lina 002 which had my ATI drivers preloaded.

my desktop also gets misaligned whenever I restart x windows or get back from the prompt on lina 003 without the drivers.

Having the drivers installed and loaded seems to remedy those issues.

Its the same situation with the lina lite version.

Marv

desktop notifications

#358 Post by Marv »

But what happened to the desktop notifications? they don't seem to have an entry in the control panel anymore... no notification pop ups either.
Try reinstalling xfxe4-notifyd from the repo. It should then show up in the control panel and notifications work. See my post in the Lite thread.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

jpup

Re: desktop notifications

#359 Post by jpup »

Marv wrote:
Try reinstalling xfxe4-notifyd from the repo. It should then show up in the control panel and notifications work. See my post in the Lite thread.
thanks Marv... yeah I just saw your post on the other thread

having no notifications can leave the user in the dark... I had to fiddle just to know whether I was already connected to wifi, etc.

I just hope I wont get any conflicts with software and other components since the savefile I'm using now came from a 002 setup

linux

#360 Post by linux »

003 Working well so far. Thanks for including the firewall setup on start-up, I have also added the Firewall Status to my setup http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57725 I also changed the single click on the Icons to a double, just my personal preference.I have also added Gimp and Audacity to my setup which then gives me a nice Windows alternative.

Having 2 versions of Carolina is a great idea, you then get the best of both worlds.

Thanks to all involved for another great job