Lighthouse 64 5.15 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Puppyt

#21 Post by Puppyt »

meeki, really like the work you've put into LHPUPrecord - very straightforward, great interface.I was just testing it briefly as an approach for recording on-line flvs and swfs that I wasn't able to download from within my browser. (problem solved with correct FF add-in.) Do you think I could best capture streaming [edit included] movie audio by using a male-male audio lead from ear to mic jacks? Could any of your provided audio packages save with aac+ as the default, would I have to modify the container settings somewhere?
Cheers!
Last edited by Puppyt on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

PUP Audio Recording

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Puppyt wrote:meeki, really like the work you've put into LHPUPrecord - very straightforward, great interface.I was just testing it briefly as an approach for recording on-line flvs and swfs that I wasn't able to download from within my browser. (problem solved with correct FF add-in.) Do you think I could best capture movie audio by using a male-male audio lead from ear to mic jacks? Could any of your provided audio packages save with aac+ as the default, would I have to modify the container settings somewhere?
Cheers!
"LHPUP Record" is a very compelling application.

This should be a thread. And, because of the qualities it emotes, it seemingly would have a widespread appeal and contribution

in the thread, we could share methods of recording that would affect and appeal to many. Further, it would be a location to spur development.

This tool has implications not just in its ability to record, but to interface or accomplish speech-to-text, audio formats, system controls via speech/audio, audio applications radio/online conversation captures, , etc.;

yes, this is a compelling application that can help to extend Puppy into what we consider the future multimedia OSes we are going to be seeing.

Meeki appears to one of those young minds stirring us Old Dogs. Smokey01 is another one of those.

Hope this helps

Q5sys

Re: PUP Audio Recording

#23 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote: This should be a thread. And, because of the qualities it emotes, it seemingly would have a widespread appeal and contribution

in the thread, we could share methods of recording that would affect and appeal to many. Further, it would be a location to spur development.
I've made an official request to the mods/admin here for a specific 64bit subforum so as we build 64 bit pets and sfs, we can create threads for each so they dont get lost in all the 32bit packages.

Only time will tell if we get it. I hope we do. I think it'll be a great benefit for everyone using 64bit puppies.

meeki

#24 Post by meeki »

Thanks guys!

Q5 , I think the gtk+ issue was started on my end after trying to get gtk+ 3 working over the top of gtk+2 currently in LHPUP. I'll send you a pet of the 75% working gtk I have. Should solve you issues.

As for LHPUP Record. I built it with warnings using zenity. zenity is not stock on Fatdog so my pet is broken there. As of right now ive been going through all them zenity msg's and making them xdialog.

As for LHPUP Record it only has three C files that have to be compiled in puppy_i386 and it should work with them too. I hate taking a supporting role to all of them other os's as this is a BIG GUI wrapper around a build of FFmpeg. I can't control how the others were built and what options were enabled during that build.

As for recording sound there is an option in FFmpeg to record on a different mixer. I think so you don't have to go plugin your audio out to the audio in of your sound card mic jack. i'll look into it for the next feature. I got about 3 new features requested that I'm puting into the next version.

I think for now I'm going to only focus on the OS we love and use for making my GUI / pet builds / until I have a firm foundation on how it all works. When I can program in a language without looking at a code reff then i feel good to move on.

WE NEED A 64bit forum!!! I'm with you on that front. Thanks for putting in the request. I'd use it befor posting all over the LHPUP thread.

Meeki.

ciento

#25 Post by ciento »

64bit is more and more a line in the sand, in the windows toybox,
that determines whether a software is chosen for use, or not.

Separate forums for 64 bit seems the sensible choice to make,
reducing current and future confusion and mis-information,
is an important consideration.
Cheers.

gcmartin

#26 Post by gcmartin »

Minor point - The home html that OOTB in browser does not point to Barry's new blog. Don't know if this needs changing.

Minor point - The LibreOffice Pet is NOT in the LH64 Repo

Minor point - The latest Netboot utility for booting PCs from LH64 is not in repo or PPM

Question
  • Will Update be used in the future to "shoot" system updates to us?
MAJOR point!!! - The BASE LH64 is so fast, it is anwering before I can even ask! This is a major accomplishment. :D

P.S. Check PM later

gcmartin

SeaMonkey Browser in LH64

#27 Post by gcmartin »

Question
Anyone know if the SeaMonkey in LH64's PPM is latest version?

Thanks in advance

Q5sys

Re: SeaMonkey Browser in LH64

#28 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Question
Anyone know if the SeaMonkey in LH64's PPM is latest version?

Thanks in advance
It's not the latest version the Seamonkey team has released, but its the latest someone here has compiled.
I've been working on Seamonkey 2.13 Beta2 but didnt pack it up becuase I was waiting till they went at least RC status.
However this past weekend they just released 2.14 Beta3...
Whenever it hits RC I'll make a package of it.
Do you want me to bundle up what I've got already?

tazoc

#29 Post by tazoc »

gcmartin wrote:Minor point - The home html that OOTB in browser does not point to Barry's new blog. Don't know if this needs changing.
Yes, I will change for the next release.
Minor point - The LibreOffice Pet is NOT in the LH64 Repo
It is too large to install uncompressed to the save layer as a Pet (500M + 1.5G for the NLS language pack). SFS installs xz compressed to avoid this problem.
Minor point - The latest Netboot utility for booting PCs from LH64 is not in repo or PPM
That is on my list.
Question
  • Will Update be used in the future to "shoot" system updates to us?
Not shoot per se, but yes the Update notifier will prompt when there are new Pet updates as before, except the initial dialog will show only the new ones. Installation, of course is optional.

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tazoc

BibleTime SFS

#30 Post by tazoc »

Thanks to Meeki and Jim1911 I've built the latest BibleTime SFS, which has no dependencies, (necessary qt4, sword, icu and clucene libs are included.)

http://www.lhpup.org/sfs/515-x86_64/?C=M;O=D

I think I can convert this to a Pet if there is a request.

Note: you can launch the application from the Personal Menu, or type bibletime in a terminal. Has a couple of warnings when started from a terminal but seems to work fine anyway.

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

I am running Live DVD LH64-515 Base. It has initially started the system with Vesa video.

One of my Laptops has a Radeon adapter in motherboard. And I see that I am offered one of the latest ATI drivers via the Update desktop facility. Thus, the author has taken much time and thought to have placed these here in Update.

I have noticed throughout the forums that much has been published about video driver installation and use for Radeon and nVidia. As such is the case, I want to take the proper steps that the authors of LH64 envision for us.

Firstly
Specifically for LH64, what is the course of action that is recommended to be followed to setup the Update facility's ATI driver on my X2 laptop? And should the ATI installation begin with the vesa driver running or some other system video driver?

Secondly
Specifically for LH64, what is the course of action that is recommended to be followed to setup the Update facility's nVidia driver on my newest i5 laptop?

I am asking these as separate questions because the instructions "may" differ somehow.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and assistance.

Q5sys

#32 Post by Q5sys »

meeki wrote:WE NEED A 64bit forum!!! I'm with you on that front. Thanks for putting in the request. I'd use it befor posting all over the LHPUP thread.

Meeki.
ciento wrote:64bit is more and more a line in the sand, in the windows toybox,
that determines whether a software is chosen for use, or not.

Separate forums for 64 bit seems the sensible choice to make,
reducing current and future confusion and mis-information,
is an important consideration.
Cheers.
I've made the request, now we just have to wait and see if TPTB agree.

gcmartin wrote:I am running Live DVD LH64-515 Base. It has initially started the system with Vesa video.

One of my Laptops has a Radeon adapter in motherboard. And I see that I am offered one of the latest ATI drivers via the Update desktop facility. Thus, the author has taken much time and thought to have placed these here in Update.

I have noticed throughout the forums that much has been published about video driver installation and use for Radeon and nVidia. As such is the case, I want to take the proper steps that the authors of LH64 envision for us.

Firstly
Specifically for LH64, what is the course of action that is recommended to be followed to setup the Update facility's ATI driver on my X2 laptop? And should the ATI installation begin with the vesa driver running or some other system video driver?

Secondly
Specifically for LH64, what is the course of action that is recommended to be followed to setup the Update facility's nVidia driver on my newest i5 laptop?

I am asking these as separate questions because the instructions "may" differ somehow.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and assistance.
Since TazOC is the only 'author' of LHP, He'll have to chime in on his take, but I can at least comment on what's happened in the past. Usually, the Graphics driver pets are available through the Update feature. I know with 5.14 they showed up as updates available. I'm still running 514 on my home system so I cant check to see if they show up in 515.
Ideally they 'should' be available through that method since that is the simpliest for users to use. Again 'ideally' all a user should need to do is boot into vesa mode, use the update to download the driver, run xorgwizard and choose that driver (hopefully probe should select it), and then reboot.
'Ideally' that should work for either driver. However as I dont have a ATI system yet to test I cant say for sure on that one. We are stuck with the current Intel Driver version until we have a newer kernel and GlibC.
My schedule for this weekend (if it works out), will be to create a pet for the newest NVIDIA driver, for the LHP update repo.

tazoc

Display drivers in LH64

#33 Post by tazoc »

I would like to thank Q5sys in advance for working on the nVidia drivers because I do not have an nVidia box to test with.

Installing a proprietary driver through Lighthouse Update normally does not require using Xorgwizard. (More on that below.) Just install and follow the prompts.

First I would run Report Video from the System menu to identify your specific display card and current driver.

For the ATI_Catalyst-11.8-k3.0.3-L64 driver in Lighthouse Update, here are the supported products and release notes:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... Notes.aspx

If it indicates your card is compatible, then install 11.8 just as any other update. From a first boot, vesa is the default, so there should be no conflict. If you have previously installed the radeon driver in Xorgwizard, then first choose vesa and reboot before installing 11.8.

For nVidia cards the Nvidia-280.13-k3.0.3-L64 supported:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

If your card is not supported by the proprietary drivers above, then click Menu -> Setup -> Xorg Video Wizard -> XorgWizard -> Choose and select the appropriate driver. For many ATI cards, that would be radeon. For most nVidia, nouveau. vesa is the fallback if others do not work. For some cards the Probe button may not work, best to use Choose instead.

Hope that helps,
TaZoC

Q5sys

#34 Post by Q5sys »

Can anyone who has ATI hardware confirm whether or not eyefinity works properly in LHP?
If it works my next gfx card will be an ATI card, otherwise i'm going to have to stick to nvidia.

tazoc

#35 Post by tazoc »

Q5sys,

I'm using 2 monitors with my Radeon HD 3200 at 1920x1080. In Catalyst I can select either one big desktop spread across both (3840x1080) or clone displays or disable one or the other. If a display is off when X starts, just restart X to bring it back in. There are also two types of Multi-display offered but I haven't figured out the difference.

I don't think my card is new enough to support eyefinity, and I don't have a third 1080p monitor so I can't test that.

Q5sys

#36 Post by Q5sys »

tazoc wrote:Q5sys,

I'm using 2 monitors with my Radeon HD 3200 at 1920x1080. In Catalyst I can select either one big desktop spread across both (3840x1080) or clone displays or disable one or the other. If a display is off when X starts, just restart X to bring it back in. There are also two types of Multi-display offered but I haven't figured out the difference.

I don't think my card is new enough to support eyefinity, and I don't have a third 1080p monitor so I can't test that.
Ok. I usually span one desktop across multiple screens. (see below)
Im wanting to go to a 6x 1920x1080 monitors.setup, but in order for that to work I'd need eyefinity to work. I know the card I want to buy is capable of it.

my current setup: 4x 1920x1080 monitors.

meeki

#37 Post by meeki »

Oh I love this LHPUP making leaps forward.

I've now moved LHPUP Record to its own thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 964#662964

Ive also compiled the C stuff in i486 and made a 32bit version. Gerrrr Tested it in Percise Puppy and it worked.

As It stands now Ill keep adding features I think are needed or in my skill set.

last time I'll post about it here but i need to answer some requests I had.

1) I can not get ffmpeg to record other audio chan besides mic with LHPUP rec. If you had Pulse you can tie them all in. Alsa jsut cant do it If any one knows how to do it let me know.

2) Aspect ratio. blow up video / crop I will not be making a Aspect ration selection or Zoom / crop. These are functions that ffmpeg can do but i dont want to add more code to my curently bloated GUI wrapper. There are allot of vid prog that can do this kind of thing.

3) Not to any of you but others that have found this program via the LHPUP threads and or my email in my README file. I've directed back here.
When you write me about an issue or problem don't treat me like contracted Tec support. If I don't respond in 5 days ask me again but getting mad because i don't get back to you in less than 24hrs or fix a bug in less than a few days. This is a free program I wrote on my spare time. And I'm not the worlds best code-er. If you don't like it or me or my response feel free to write your own Screen capture GUI.

meeki

#38 Post by meeki »

Im wanting to go to a 6x 1920x1080 monitors.setup, but in order for that to work I'd need eyefinity to work. I know the card I want to buy is capable of it.
too bad your not going nvida I think you can do it with Xinerama

Q5sys

#39 Post by Q5sys »

meeki wrote:
too bad your not going nvida I think you can do it with Xinerama
You can do it with xinerama. Which I already do. 2 cards, 2 outputs per card = 4 screens.

Problem is no "afforable" Nvidia card is availble with more than 2 outputs that can be used per card.
So to run 6 screens Id need to run tri-SLI, which I dont want to do because I've heard of the nightmare it becomes from friends.

ATI has a single card that can run 6 screens with eyefinity. So its cheaper, and not as much of a heat issue. Thats why I am thinking of going ATI. I prefer nvidia products, but sadly they dont have an option for me on the market.

meeki

#40 Post by meeki »

Problem is no "afforable" Nvidia card is availble with more than 2 outputs
Agree on 2 head disagree on price.

I was Running 5 screens one day jsut for giggles.

Do you plan on gamming on all them monitors ????

if not PCI E is your friend.

$23 Bucks shipped or Best offer!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-GeForce-860 ... 33786b7148

Solves the SLI issue :)

Or if you need PCI only for $50 bucks you can get this 128mg one :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaton-GeForce-F ... 27cc290aa6

If you take your time Ive found these on craigs list for $10bucks. I get $5 ones for my servers old 16meg ones that talk nice to linux